Poor experience with SS316L

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@Anise, can also get it from Amazon online it's about the same price but if you fear darkening the door of Sally's and etc. I used to go there a lot when I was dying my hair. LOL. I also got a wax kit there for my legs and used it.... Once. Results were, ah, inconsistent, sticky and painful. I had bruises. LOL.

I will be doing more research before using it again. I now understand why the saleslady was looking at me with dubiousness.

Good luck, rayon is the bomb.

Anna

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Thanks Anna! I've been having some inconsistent results wicking with cotton so I thought maybe I'd give Rayon a try. I remember everything you and others have said about it and I'm hoping it'll be a better choice for me than cotton. And now I don't have to go into Sally's!

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Where would be the best place to order rayon cellucotton? I haven't seen it offered at the sites where I've gone.

Amazon is easiest, especially for you people in the US, entering "graham cellucotton rayon" as a search will get you there

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018IYY3I4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I finally got some recently when they would actually ship it to us in Australia, and at less than a millionty $, before this is was ridiculously expensive as in $75+ a box at times to get it shipped here :) Again, another example of the geo gouging im always banging on about from our friends in the USA...

Be aware that theres different types of cellucotton, theres cellucotton cotton and cellucotton rayon, just to confuse things, many people have made the mistake, so always look under the 100% on the box in small print, if it says 100% Rayon fibres youre golden, theres also different codes on the boxes even when its the correct rayon one (different lengths), but the one i linked to is the exact box i and my friends here ordered (44130 = 40ft), and i think also currently the cheapest...then theres 44060 = 500ft. Dont order 42251, its 40ft of cellucotton cotton, the mistake box i was referring to earlier :)

40ft is probably enough for a lifetime....i took it out of the box and sealed it into sandwidch bags for long term storage

Top tips (i got from others, and has served me well):

#1 - you'll generally need to pack more cellucotton/rayon into your coil as it doesnt swell like cotton does. Some people do thin the tails out like cotton, some dont, and of course it can depend on individual tanks as with any wicking

#2 - to get rid of the new rayon taste, gently reverse toot through the atty a dozen or so times....it wears off relatively quickly, and one settled in is the goods for juice uptake and flavour

Theres an entire threads on cellucotton here:
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Cellucotton- Rayon/Health/Performance

p.s. i think everyone beat me with my slow typing speed in getting this out :)

Last edited:

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Where would be the best place to order rayon cellucotton? I haven't seen it offered at the sites where I've gone.
I went through that. You won't find it on any of the China sites. It is only available from the US and a very few distributors outside the US. Order from Amazon that's what I did. In my case the shipping was five times the price of the product but one box will last forever so suck it up and go for it. It will not work well in all rta's but it will in most. I use rayon in several but I still find cotton works better in a few that I own. Odd but that is my experience. When rayon works it will out flavor and outlast cotton by a lot. A rayon wick can last a month. Try that with your cotton.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
My daughter went in and bought it for me, so much that she will never have to go back.

Thanks for the site.

Wow. I never thought I'd see the day I'd order anything from Sally's. This must stay our secret or it will ruin my reputation! No one but y'all would ever believe I just ordered some rayon for wicking.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I take it you don't believe in "manscaping" @CMD-Ky ??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't either, except for hairy backs. No offense to hairy backs, it's like a personal peeve of mine. The hairy backed should actually get free waxing or electrolysis (IMO) honestly, it's like close to a medical condition (again, IN MY OPINION).

I bet I could have fallen for a hairy backed guy, but I would have also WAXED HIM.

Ahem, glad you got your rayon "safely". It's true that if a man enters a Sally's, um, he automatically comes out with a manicure and painted nails. :D

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have studiously avoided most of the recent additions to the new vocabulary as well as revisions to definitions of older words, so I am unfamiliar with "manscaping". I just wanted to avoid the entire Sally's experience and had a volunteer for the job - I accepted graciously.

I don't either, except for hairy backs. No offense to hairy backs, it's like a personal peeve of mine. The hairy backed should actually get free waxing or electrolysis (IMO) honestly, it's like close to a medical condition (again, IN MY OPINION).

I bet I could have fallen for a hairy backed guy, but I would have also WAXED HIM.

Ahem, glad you got your rayon "safely". It's true that if a man enters a Sally's, um, he automatically comes out with a manicure and painted nails. :D

Anna

• Love
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Manscaping== doing all that stuff chicks do, like trimming hair, wearing mud masks, getting electrolysis which is a thing that is done that kills off your hair permanently and women with mustaches LOVE it. Etc.

I got good at dying my hair, that was about it. I also waxed my legs (once) out of frustration because my entire family gets bug hairs on their lower shins, I am among them. It was not a success, so I just continue to cut myself by shaving. Need to learn how to wax before I try again, it was not good.

Hell, I can barely put mascara on without putting an eye out. LOL.

But back to rayon, even if you MUST enter Sally's it's worth it.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Also if you havent tried it, it might be worth trying rayon cellucotton instead of cotton, for me and many others it gives the best taste, very crisp hen combined with SS, even when you vape unflavoured 100% of the time like i do...my vape is noticeably different, and sweeter, on rayon over cotton...

Rayon is all that you say, with the added benefit of quicker flavor with a new wick compared to cotton. I don't miss the wet T-shirt flavor of a new cotton wick.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I only have ss316 wires. I started with Temco 28 ga, not bad but thin, so I bought some more for kaybees and just built a parallel 26 ga coil. Not sure if its the kaybees wire but doesn't taste as clean/sharp/crisp as the Temco coil.

I find ss the 2nd best for flavour, behind titanium. Have ordered some titanium wire, but it seems hard to find.
The best quality SS I ever found is on a medical supply site (SS sutures, annealed, 316L). Shipping is pricey, though, but good bulk prices like Temco.

Ss Wire

sswire.jpg

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2018
Central Maryland
Device: SBODY C2D1 DNA 75.

I had been using lightning vapes T-1 wire for a while. Apparently they are having difficulty with keeping this wire in stock, so after some research, I decided to give SS316L a shot. After many different attempts and updated TCRs, I finally gave up. It was either too cold or burned through my wick - no happy medium. The real strange thing is that I never got a burned taste, but I would take my tank apart after a few hours of vaping (and poor vapor) to find that the wick was completely burned away in the coil. Even when the temp was set at 450, the vapor production was terrible and I would find the wick to be partially burned away at the same time. My experience with this wire was so bad that I actually wished I had my old EVOD back. If this was my first experience at vaping, I would still be smoking.

Anyway, the new spool of T-1 showed up last night and I am so happy again. IMHO, 316L is completely worthless for TC vaping.

I’ve been building for TC for a couple of years and use 316L most of the time and it works perfectly. I know some older mods have trouble with the very low coefficient of stainless. The other big factor is poor conductivity through the tank that causes resistance variances which cause hot and cold spikes. More than once I’ve pulled apart a new tank to polish up the electrically connected parts and threads. My personal spec is to not see anymore than a 0.002 ohm deviation when testing a tank. So far none of my fixed tanks have malfunctioned

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh

Anna
The hair growth on a man's back is the natural condition. The aversion to the natural growth is the "medical condition". Depilation is not the natural state.
Sorry, Anna, but your invented cultural affectations are showing.:lol:
(In defense of the "Hairy backed male"!:D)

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Multiwire coils can also cause problems with the amount of time it takes for a given power level to cause the resistance change expected by the mod.
I would go even farther, and submit there is no way for the mod to determine the temp from the TCR curve, if there are multiple current paths through different gauges, heating at different rates. One could likely fiddle with TCR values, and approximate a useful number, but only for ONE specific coil, and only at one specific wattage.
Probably work fairly well for a simple twisted or parallel coil, as they would heat fairly uniformly.
Cannot expect the mod to know 15 different variables about your coil, when all it can do is measure voltage and current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread