Precise Strata RDA Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barefoot Joe

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2009
Grand Cayman
Just a quick success report on my Simplicity 18350 Strata setup. I was lucky enough to get mine early, so I've had some time to play with it. I have tried single micro coils, single nano coils, continuous dual coils, attempts at the Ophion builds with single and wrapped wire. I used 26 and 28 gauge Kanthal and organic cotton wick through the coils and on the bottom. Everything has worked, but vapor production has lacked, some builds more than others. It seems when I would get decent vapor, the hits would be hot and harsh. I'm comparing my experience to an HH 356 atty, LR 1.6 ohm I think.

Well, I followed pAth77's Ophion tutorial almost to a tee. Used 26 gauge Kanthal, 7 wraps, loosely packed cotton, etc. I now have about as much of a cloud machine as I think you can get with an 18350 with dense and flavorful vapor. Count me as satisfied.

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
Glad it worked out for you Joe. I can't take any credit other than taking pictures and typing a few words. All I did was follow Nach's instructions that he sent me via email. But I agree with you, this is definitely the best performing setup that I have made thus far on the Strata. My thanks go to Nach and his buddy that did all the hard work on coming up with this coil.

TheToxic_jon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
SoCal
here's our first stab at the strata. using 28g kanthal 7/8wrap quad coil, used a cotton u-wick, then i can line up the 4 airhole with the coils, seems to be vaping ok but i think i can get better. vapes like a genny, with big throat hit.
once the cotton gets nasty i will use mesh.
1780145_232468183612489_214654469_o.jpg

1654544_232468250279149_751281959_o.jpg

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
I did the Path style build w/ 28awg. I found it REALLY hard to do starting with the neg connection, and easier starting with the positive. It came out to about .7ish ohms.

Vapor is decent, better than a single micro in the Strata. Still think my previous build was preferable, but that was harder to get right.

eternalsurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
Tryon, NC USA
My experience.

My first build was a single micro coil with PNC cotton wick, because that's the set up I prefer in all my silica attys. flavor was great, th strong, vapor lacking. I had the coil lifted up a few mm above the deck. I then stretched the coil out a bit in an arc covering a little less than half the well, and pushed it down to about 1mm above the deck. This greatly improved the vapor production, and is a pretty satisfying vape.

Second build I did was a type of ophion with the coils more of an up and down shape, like a frequency graph. This didn't work out very well, I think because the resistance was too high.
image.jpg

Last night, I followed paths tutorial, and the vapor production is greater than anything I've tried so far. Very good vape, but not what I would call a cloud machine. I had some trouble getting the coil to bend in a perfect circle around the deck. Any tips on that path? A video would be great!
It seems to me that the best vapor comes when the coils are around one mm above the level of the deck. Any thoughts on this from anyone? I could be wrong, but I think the lack of vapor is due to the indirect airflow over the coil. The attys I get the most vapor from, have a stream of air flowing directly over the coil.

Last edited:

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold
Regarding coil placement, mine is slanted with half the coil slightly below the air intake deck and half slightly above it. Working really well at 1.15 ohms, good thick clouds. I slant it because both coil wires come out on the same side of the coil, one at the top and the other at the bottom. I have the higher end on the inside.

My experience.

My first build was a single micro coil with PNC cotton wick, because that's the set up I prefer in all my silica attys. flavor was great, th strong, vapor lacking. I had the coil lifted up a few mm above the deck. I then stretched the coil out a bit in an arc covering a little less than half the well, and pushed it down to about 1mm above the deck. This greatly improved the vapor production, and is a pretty satisfying vape.

Second build I did was a type of ophion with the coils more of an up and down shape, like a frequency graph. This didn't work out to well, I think because the resistance was too high.
View attachment 314790

Last night, I followed paths tutorial, and the vapor production is greater than anything I've tried so far. Very good vape, but not what I would call a cloud machine. I had some trouble getting the coil to bend in a perfect circle around the deck. Any tips on that path? A video would be great!
It seems to me that the best vapor comes when the coils are around one mm above the level of the deck. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Last edited:

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
I did the Path style build w/ 28awg. I found it REALLY hard to do starting with the neg connection, and easier starting with the positive. It came out to about .7ish ohms.

Vapor is decent, better than a single micro in the Strata. Still think my previous build was preferable, but that was harder to get right.

It is definitely easier to first attach the coil on the positive post rather than starting with the ground post.

It seems to me that the best vapor comes when the coils are around one mm above the level of the deck. Any thoughts on this from anyone? I could be wrong, but I think the lack of vapor is due to the indirect airflow over the coil. The attys I get the most vapor from, have a stream of air flowing directly over the coil.

I agree with you that the coil height will greatly affect vapor production. I have found that the vapor production is greatest when the coil sits right at the level of the deck. This ensures that the airflow directly hits the coil as it enters the chamber. The higher the coil above the deck, the lower the vapor production and the harsher the hit. I've found this to be true on all coils that I've built on the Strata.

As for bending the coil into a perfect circle, I use a metal pick to slowly work it into place while the coil is lit up. Just light the coil up and nudge it little by little until you have it positioned the way you want it.

Tinben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Tn
I am finally getting decent results. I have been adjusting the coil tighter and closer to the deck. Chain vaping and adjusting. I got more boiled and drying. By Sat I think I will break this build down and go a slightly different route. And a different juice. I think the juice I am using is too thick. I like it so far even though it needs some tweaking. I think I can make this work as my EDC work vapor.
Tip is loose so I may try another washer. And I wish I could find a longer lasting 18350. Running AW's ONE at the moment.

Random thoughts.

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
seems strange to manufacture a very unique atty with a very unique design and then not provide instructions on how it was meant to be setup! lol

will have to have a read through, thanks for the link mate :)

There were four beta testers (5 initially but one dropped out), and we are the ones that did a majority of the builds during testing. This build that I posted was first done by Nach (another beta tester), and we have found that this was one of the best ways to setup the Strata. David recommends a variation of the SnorkWrap, a coil created by another beta tester. Standard coils do work on the strata, just not as well as the Snork or Ophion.

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold
Yeah, given the design, I don't know that there is (or even can be) a recommended setup. So far, it seems people's experiences are all over the place. Some are having great luck with the 360 degree builds. I've tried a few of those, with mixed results, none being completely satisfying. I've head my best results (and very good results) with a single coil build, but with the ohms a bit lower than what I normally use (1.1/1.2 vs. my normal 1.5 or so). It's so new, I think we are likely to see some unique things from this atty going forward, but at the moment, information is pretty spotty.

seems strange to manufacture a very unique atty with a very unique design and then not provide instructions on how it was meant to be setup! lol

will have to have a read through, thanks for the link mate :)

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
i must say that it seems like a case of "we have made an atty, now can you guys see if you can somehow get it to work?"......surely when they designed it they had an idea of how to set it up in order to work as intended??

the fact its been out for some time now and yet i can't find a single build video on YouTube kinda speaks volumes! lol :p

now i admit that i have only played around with it for an hour or 2 so am still under 1st impressions, but i can't see how it will produce anything but a thin, wispy vapour as the air does not flow directly over the coil.....it vapes the same way as a genny would if you positioned the air hole way from the wick rather than directly in front of it (i.e. wispy vapour, lots of flavour, extremely strong and unpleasant throat hit)

im assuming the beta testers mentioned to the manufacture that air flow needs to pass directly over the coil? what did they say about that?

but more worryingly is that on my Strata the included drip tip creates a short circuit as it actually contacts the positive and negative terminals! i couldn't work out why it would stop firing when i screwed on the top cap (and my battery would get very hot) yet it fired perfectly without it. but then i noticed scorch marks around the top of the drip tip hole and on the drip tip itself and upon further inspection the drip tip sits way too deep in the hole

some images:-

Visible scorch marks in top right corner of drip tip hole

The same scorch marks appear on the drip tip (they actually lined up perfectly)

Drip tip inserted into top cap - Note how far it protrudes

Position of terminals - Hard to see, but negative terminal is too high to not contact the protrusion of the drip tip

i can only avoid the drip tip making contact with the terminals if i leave a huge gap.....i strongly advise other users to check how far their drip tip sits too in case of shorts

I've always been impressed with my Super T purchases in the past, but i can't say I'm too impressed with the Strata going by my 1st few hours with it :(

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
So far my best, and actually favorite setup in all time in any atomizer is a single long semicircular coil of 28 gauge Kanthal of 6 wraps on 2mm OD Ekowool, perhaps 1ohm. It sits about 1mm inside and 1mm above the deck. The tails are rather long, perhaps unnecessarily so, and each are in opposite sides of the well.

asha23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
London
  • Deleted by forcedfuel50
  • Reason: Trolling and making false accusations

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
i must say that it seems like a case of "we have made an atty, now can you guys see if you can somehow get it to work?"......surely when they designed it they had an idea of how to set it up in order to work as intended??

the fact its been out for some time now and yet i can't find a single build video on YouTube kinda speaks volumes! lol :p

now i admit that i have only played around with it for an hour or 2 so am still under 1st impressions, but i can't see how it will produce anything but a thin, wispy vapour as the air does not flow directly over the coil.....it vapes the same way as a genny would if you positioned the air hole way from the wick rather than directly in front of it (i.e. wispy vapour, lots of flavour, extremely strong and unpleasant throat hit)

im assuming the beta testers mentioned to the manufacture that air flow needs to pass directly over the coil? what did they say about that?

but more worryingly is that on my Strata the included drip tip creates a short circuit as it actually contacts the positive and negative terminals! i couldn't work out why it would stop firing when i screwed on the top cap (and my battery would get very hot) yet it fired perfectly without it. but then i noticed scorch marks around the top of the drip tip hole and on the drip tip itself and upon further inspection the drip tip sits way too deep in the hole

some images:-

Visible scorch marks in top right corner of drip tip hole

The same scorch marks appear on the drip tip (they actually lined up perfectly)

Drip tip inserted into top cap - Note how far it protrudes

Position of terminals - Hard to see, but negative terminal is too high to not contact the protrusion of the drip tip

i can only avoid the drip tip making contact with the terminals if i leave a huge gap.....i strongly advise other users to check how far their drip tip sits too in case of shorts

I've always been impressed with my Super T purchases in the past, but i can't say I'm too impressed with the Strata going by my 1st few hours with it :(

Sorry to hear you have a short. A tighter oring is included with the free drip tip we included with the Strata if you get any movement on the tip. Sometimes too, if it is dropped and hit on the post and bent or the center post not tightened down, it can short. We didn't have any problems during beta testing so it wasn't a problem we could foresee, but have seen a few cases of it now in the field and have remedied the situation going forward (all that have shipped starting on 3/12) have had the tip hole enlarged which will eliminate the problem. (you can also eliminate the problem in the mean time by just switching to a regular drip tip, any 510 will work).

For those who currently have a Strata, please just switch to a standard drip tip (it'll accept all drip tips). Shoot us and email at supertmanufacturing@yahoo.com and we'll get you taken care of. Those who ordered from Cloud 9, we are getting them out some of the modified tips and they can replace yours directly.

Second, addressing the airflow, the airflow can and does flow over the coils, just as any side entry type rba/rda does, in fact, even better, but you need to position them out farther and bit higher, you can't have them in tight. And as far as vapor, you can have a cloud blowing machine, but you need to do the correct wrap. I've been trying to stress this many times, but it keeps getting buried. This takes RDA's in a new direction and the same old wont' work. Try a modified Snork or a Orphion, either will give you your clouds.

There have been many successful builds too, several have stated it is the best they've ever had and several have said it produces the best flavor they've ever had. But if one thinks they can just throw the same old coil they are used to with brand X, it may not work in the Strata. Position higher and farther out. You'll need to play with it, with an adjustable draw that truly works and 360 airflow, it is much more sensitive and tunable.

Heres some pics of the Ophion and Snork (I modify it with 4 tails by running two wicks that exit in the ends and the middle (and a video of the Ophion, not a video I made either, I don't even know them, but it shows you can have your clouds of vapor if that is your style, you just have to do the right build):

For those looking to cloud chase, try the Ophion or my build below .( I haven't tried the Ophion yet, but it looks even better then my modified Snork wrap as it increases the wick and surface area even more) Remember, what may produce clouds on your old device may not work on the Strata and require a new build type like those below for you.

One of the things with the Strata is, it's extremely efficient at atomizing so builds that may have worked in the past on other devices, will not produce the same results on the Strata. I run a variation of the original snork wrap with ribbon wire, only I modified it to use two wicks split in the middle giving four feeding tails. With two it would get hot and harsh as it would atomize the liquid off faster then it could replenish. I guess if you could call the previous generation of RDA/RBA's as advanced user devices, you'd call the Strata an expert user devices as there are almost limitless setup combinations that can be done with it.

You can also Try the new Ophion wrap suggested by Nach which is a real fog machine or a variation of the pic below , only splitting the wick in the middle leaving 4 wick tails (two on the ends and two coming out the middle, its a pita to do though) . Both these types better keep up with the feed demands and maximize coil area and take advantage of the 360 airflow potential:
Thanks to Nach... I had an opportunity to take a quick crack at the Strata and I have to say it is very promising. The 360 air flow is perfect for the Ophion as Nach suggested. Long story short, this happened... and he was right!

8dbf96709ba311e3828f12d505f2f3bb_8.jpg

Here's the vapor production... Video

My conclusion... it has a lot of potential. If I'm given the chance to have a good sit and build time on it, I can build the perfect ophion coil on it (unlike the rush build shown above) and it will produce more vapor.

other potential build candidates for the Strata:

snorkwrap2.jpg.w560h469.jpg

watch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread