Price difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawtik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
My wife mentioned the e cig to me so iv been reading all i can and im just confused with it all. Right now we roll our own and it cost me 24 bucks for 2 cartons. Am i gonna save, be about the same, or spend alot more? I know iv seen some of this stuff at walmart is that stuff ok? I dont mind making the initial start from online like the starter kit but would rather buy refills or whatever local. When i go to the smoke shop this weekend im gonna look at what they offer as well.

01max

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
NYC
i started with V2cigs.com. It worked for my friend who was smoking for 40 years, marlboro. But i didnt like it. But the site is very easy to navigate. Then i tried ego style batteries at volcanoecigs.com, they are larger but give more flavor and vapor. now i use a mod, the ggts, which is larger. Depends on the user and what they are looking for.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
My wife mentioned the e cig to me so iv been reading all i can and im just confused with it all. Right now we roll our own and it cost me 24 bucks for 2 cartons. Am i gonna save, be about the same, or spend alot more? I know iv seen some of this stuff at walmart is that stuff ok? I dont mind making the initial start from online like the starter kit but would rather buy refills or whatever local. When i go to the smoke shop this weekend im gonna look at what they offer as well.

RYO can be pretty cheap. I did that too and I'd say it's about even cost-wise. But you aren't smoking and that's priceless!

Once you're doing this for awhile you can start to Do It Yourself as far as making e-liquid. Wait till you know what you're doing.

You can get a good basic kit with cartomizers/clearomizers from about $30-$60. E-liquid might average anywhere from $10-$20 for 30 ml (most people vape about 3-5 ml per day).

Take a look at your local smoke shop and write down what they have to offer. Post here and we can give you an idea regarding the price and what you're getting. Ask them about their warranty and return policy. Most online suppliers do offer a warranty on kits.

I have to tell you I am so glad I'm not smoking and RYO anymore. You are going to be so happy not to be smoking and messing with that!

I held onto my machine for 1 year (been two years vaping) and glad to see it go.

Last edited:

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Era. I would say that beyond the initial investment of equipment you COULD save some if you dont go on purchasing big expenditures like batteries, every new tank/ carto that comes out. And most of all unless you have Zero other alternative do not buy pre filled units, locally or online..... the best value per dollar spent is to purchase empty cartos(or whatever feed system you prefer) and fill it with nicotine liquid. The liquid can be flavorless (which would be absolutely least expensive) or flavored. When you look at the prefilled cartos there is (on average) about .75ml of liquid in them, lets walk that up to 1ml... five filled cartos from, lets pick a larger more reputable one like mystic would be about fifteen bucks. So if you are a moderately heavy vaper you will burn through all five cartos in roughly a day(average is 2.5-5ml/day)and have to refill them with nic liquid or toss them and open a new pack. For that same fifteen dollars you could get a 30ml bottle of premixed flavored liquid, and a five pack of good quality blank cartos, and fill your own (and top them up as they begin to run low) if you shop smart that same fifteen bucks could get you more of both consumables.....

Read, learn and educate yourself. This can get out of control easily, but just as easily you can control what is going to happen. Your choice. Make sure you have at minimum a fair understanding of the devices, watch a few videos on using and maintaining them. I typically spend about thirty five dollars per month on supplies. I make my own liquids, I use the same batteries/main unit that I have been using for almost a year, The rebuildable(replaceable parts) tank atomizers are a newer go-to for me. I typically use 7-10ml of liquid per day, I vape alot, and am very hard on my equipment. But I also keep everything as well maintained as possible.

I would Piont you toward one of the mid sized models like a kGo or Riva O better yet one of the Variable voltage models Like the twist or spinner You will want to have two batteries at minimum to start, then a few(~3-4) repairable vivi nova tanks or the kanger t2 or the repairable stardusts and you should be well set other than a good reliable liquid to fill them with. Liquid is purely subjective and that is a whole `nother rabbit hole indeed. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
This isn't the only pv or the best pv but I started with a basic ego type and cartomizers (they hold the liquid). All of the other equipment wasn't out when I started vaping, but it got me off cigarettes! I think my initial investment was around $70 ($30 for the kit, $15 low resistance cartos, drip tip and 30 ml of eliquid).

I've spent more (way more!) but that did the trick and got me off cigs.

I'm sure everyone here is happy to help you find the best pv for you. If you don't understand some of the terms, just ask.

Try it!

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
First, I believe you will have to really want to quit smoking and not just want to save money to be successful. I am not sure from your post if you are coming from that perspective but I will assume quiting smoking is the priority.

That said, you will have to be very smart, careful, and lucky I think to save money vs. RYO, at least in the short run. (In the long run you should have no problem saving money when you consider all the costs of smoking for the rest of your life):thumbs:

You can get in pretty cheap with a 510 battery and some cartomziers and some juice, but you have to consider the battery may crap out fairly quickly if you are not lucky, and you will want at least 1 backup at all times (probably more as the battery life between charges is short) if you are serious about not smoking.

Juice is generally considered the most or one of the most important factors in enjoying vaping. The catch there is that it is expensive to try a bunch of different juices to find the ones you like best. If you have a brick and mortar that lets you try juices before you buy, it is probably cheaper to start there, even if the prices are higher than online.

In the long run, it would be cheaper if you find a reliable battery mod (that allows you to swap out batteries). But this is a treacherous path and you have to buy wisely and resist the urge to try different set ups. If you are lucky to find this without much trial and error and find a juice you are happy with and buy it in large sizes you probably can do it cheaper than you are with RYO.

The problem I and many others have is while I enjoy vaping and don't want to go back to cigarettes, I keep reading this forum and finding out about different mods (the battery part) and different delivery methods (atomizers, cartomizers, tanks, rebuildables, etc.) that I want to try. Throw in the occasional defective cheap mod and cartomizers or juice you bought but don't like. ***Or if you are sure you are going to want to keep vaping, just buy a Provari for under $200 and skip all that jazz, it will save money for you if you are going to be doing this for a good while*****

Probably the cheapest and best tasting deliver method is some sort of atomizer with a drip set up on a basic mechanical battery mod. But this is also the least convenient. If you want your costs to be low you have to watch out for electronic battery mods and watch out for mods with bad power buttons, many that can't be repaired.

In short, in my short time vaping, I have found it can be tough to save money, and I was paying about $5 per pack. $12 per carton is a tough challenge.

The question is - is it worth it to quit smoking? For me yes. What am I willing to pay per year to be smoke free? I would say upward of an additional $1000 over the cig cost, easy. Others would come to different conclusions based on their circumstances. The good news is you can start the cheap route of a couple 510 batteries and test the waters, if you find it gets you off cigs, then re-evaluate from there.

Good luck on quiting. I was a pack a day smoker for 30 years and quit the day I got my first 510 battery and atomizer. Not one since.

Last edited:

erawtik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Ok can someone give me a link and exactly what i should buy? I smoke reg and wife smokes menthol so i need 2 kits. Then after whatever it is i buy how long is everything going to last roughly before i need to buy more stuff so i know how long il get out of what i have? Plus when i make my second order what am i gonna be looking to buy? This is all new to me so no slang or abbreviations please i need exact names of what i need. Once i have everything in front of me il learn this stuff really fast but just looking at pics doesnt work well with me.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Ok can someone give me a link and exactly what i should buy? I smoke reg and wife smokes menthol so i need 2 kits. Then after whatever it is i buy how long is everything going to last roughly before i need to buy more stuff so i know how long il get out of what i have? Plus when i make my second order what am i gonna be looking to buy? This is all new to me so no slang or abbreviations please i need exact names of what i need. Once i have everything in front of me il learn this stuff really fast but just looking at pics doesnt work well with me.

Uh, this way lies danger.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Again Era. Start Here. New User Electronic Cigarette FAQ - ECF InfoZone .

Do you think that a device roughly the size of a sharpie marker would be too big for you to get yourself accustomed to using?

I prefer to point new user to the eGo class of batteries, something like this would be a reasonable beginning to vaping with a small scale investment GP eCo-C CE4 MINI TWIST Kit This is an off brand unit and you should have one for you, one for her, and preferably one each for backup vaping(like while the first is charging)... then jump in with some liquid like 24mg PG Liquid 10ml bottle - DeKang ..... The names most often associated with the flavors you and she are accustomed to would be (for you) Usa Mix or Hilton or DK tab and (for her) Menthol, Nport there are literally thousands more, and these are not the only ones but a good place to get your foot in the door and get yourself started in this vaping journey you have decided to embark upon. I do advise you to get a few small bottles and sample them to see which ones strike your fancy before ordering mass quantities of any one liquid. And also it would be a good choice to get a few different (mg)strengths so that you can see which ones are best suited to your personal needs.
Keep in mind that This Is NOT going to be something that is just like smoking It replicates the activities and the enjoyment of the act for most. The hand-to-mouth fixation, the act of sitting back to relax and exhale a big "puff"...... The flavors (of tobaccos especially) are more like the smell of that freshly opened bag of tobacco than the actual burning tube of paper and plant. There is a learning curve here and you will want to have every piece of information you can wrap you brain around.. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread