Status
Not open for further replies.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
I missed the post by Dauyd, But he makes a solid point. This is about getting you off to a running start. You will almost certainly ,eventually, find the want, or wish to upgrade at a later date. You possibly will not. I know a fellow vaper who still uses her small 510s, and loves loves loves it. I started my nephew with a vtube and he loves, loves loves it. My wife has a few awesome custom built mods and still to this day prefers the twist... This is a journey full of choices, everyone has so many available that any one of them could be perfect, The only ones I am trying to help you avoid is paying too much to get started, and secondly the one that takes you back to regular analog cigs now that you have decided to take the first steps to vaping.

Which if saving money is the concern - either go cheap to start and learn, or go provari and be done.

erawtik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
5 a day i will not do i refuse to spend that much for smoking which is why i roll. Sounds like if i do it i need to stay away from the sites to keep me from upgrading and moddin cause it sounds like that is where most of everyones money is going. But if i stick to one setup from what i understand buying the liquid and replacement parts here and there it should even out.

Dauyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2011
Wisconsin
See, what I meant about probably not going to be cheaper, and danger lies this way............

When I started I thought it would be cheaper, and keep a spread sheet comparing my spending vs. smoking. My break even keeps getting further and further away. At first it was like 15 days. I am about at christmas right now to break even. And that is compared to $5/day vs your $12/carton.

I'm about a week away from breaking even, but I have enough supplies to last another 3 months.

I vaped about a year ago for a couple of months with Riva 900's and LR cartos. Gave it up after ordering new batteries and cartos for the 4th time in 2 months. It got more expensive than just smoking.

This time, I intentionally spent more on my equipment in hopes that the reliability would save me in the long run.

No question- in a months time, I've recouped the extra investment.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
5 a day i will not do i refuse to spend that much for smoking which is why i roll. Sounds like if i do it i need to stay away from the sites to keep me from upgrading and moddin cause it sounds like that is where most of everyones money is going. But if i stick to one setup from what i understand buying the liquid and replacement parts here and there it should even out.
That is my point exactly. Get Something, Begin. You will want to experiment along the way, this liquid may be too strong, or too weak.... Flavor needs more this, or less that. You will be leaving 5000 or so known dangerous chemicals out of your body. Yes It may be a little more to start, But once YOU Know you are a Vaper the feeling of being free from cigarettes is completely worth the payoff. If you are concious of what it is you are doing you can, and will break even, and eventually will be in the black as far as compared to analogs. Keep In mind the price of your healthcare will likely be less if you stop smoking.. nevermind the addition of days/weeks/months/years that you could add to your lifetime by stopping smoking...... So yes you will break even if not now you will one day.

erawtik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
sounds like what the smart phone would was like 2 years ago you couldnt keep up with it cause everything was improving and changing every month. Now imo the last year the smart phone would has finally plained out so it makes it easier for newbs to get one cause they all are almost the same now. Im still gonna keep reading so all your inputs are helpful as long as you say why this machine is good or not so good then i can base off that. So far you all been very helpfull and im off to bed il check tomorrow to see if there is anymore input.

I'm about a week away from breaking even, but I have enough supplies to last another 3 months.

I vaped about a year ago for a couple of months with Riva 900's and LR cartos. Gave it up after ordering new batteries and cartos for the 4th time in 2 months. It got more expensive than just smoking.

This time, I intentionally spent more on my equipment in hopes that the reliability would save me in the long run.

No question- in a months time, I've recouped the extra investment.

Im in the same boat, started with a blu and spent a couple months buying pre-filled carts and gave up due to the cost (plus i was still smoking cigarettes as well)

decided to give it another go a few months later with some research and better equipment(vtube, an extra battery, some ce4 clearomizers, and a few sampler packs of juice) and i havent touched a cig since. Its only been a little over a month but the desire is gone, i can be around smokers and dont even want to go back to smoking. I found the two juices that i like the most from the vendor that i use (blue mist) and bought a 180mg bottle of each for $30/bottle and should be set for at least a couple months, if not more!

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
If you are on a budget it would be my suggestion that you skip the cig-alike step and go straight to a variable voltage model like the Twists, KGOs or Vision Spinners. The cig-alikes have poor battery life and produce an inferior vaping experience.

The cig-alikes' only advantage are their psychologically familiar form factor. However, you can go to Walgreen's or Walmart and pick up a disposable Blu to get you by if you need to fidget with something with a cigarette shape while you get comfortable with vaping. Don't buy Blue kits or any other kind of kit from Walmart or Walgreens. They aren't a good value and the juices aren't very good.

Also, the variable voltage will be very helpful when you start DIY juices. I've noticed that a tiny twist to adjust voltage can sometimes be the difference between a juice tasting like a winner or a loser. Adjusting the voltage couldn't be easier. Just start low and turn the bottom voltage adjustment knob up to taste.

Vapor Beast has a variable voltage Twist starter kit that has batteries with better features (a battery level indicator, easier to read voltage numbers and a metal rather than plastic vape button) than the Joye Twists. Since both you and your wife will be vaping pick up an extra battery although two starter kits would be better because an extra kit will give you a backup for your charger and wall adapter. I just received it but, so far, I like this model of battery much better than the normal Twists I already have.

Order one each of flavor of the flavor sample cartomizers. I've tried over 75 flavors from well-regarded juice sellers and Vapor Beast has been the only place where I didn't get any juice at all that I won't vape. Once you find what flavors you like immediately order enough juice to get you through a couple of weeks. Vapor Beast ships right away but nearly all tobacco juices taste quite a lot better if steeped. That means putting the juice in a dark place for a week or two and giving it a daily shake.

You can squeak by without them but I would very much suggest getting a package of Kanger M3 Clearomizers. Down the road you will probably want to consider something like the Vivi Nova for juice delivery as it will save money because you can change out heads for $3-$4 or rebuild the wicks for much much less. However, as the owner of four Vivi Novas, my view is that the taste they produce is significantly inferior to the Kanger M3s. You will also need blunt needle-nosed bottles to fill the M3s.

Tim at Vapor Beast provides outstanding customer service, including telephone support, as well as respectable bang for the buck pricing. My view is that customer service very much matters as nearly all vape gear aside from very expensive mods are made in China where brand does not assure quality control. One is very much at the mercy of the retailer to weed out the total disasters even from name brand merchandise.

Once you are set up start pouring through all the stickies in the ECF DIY forum. Pay particular attention to all the safety advice.

mitsuhashi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
an island
Unless you go on a hardware binge, I don't think you'll have too much trouble cost-wise. If you find a set of hardware that satisfies you early on, the less you'll have to spend on the newest and greatest. Here's a breakdown of my own costs:

First kit, black cig-style piece of junk (2009): $120 --> trashed after a few months
Second kit, Riva 650mah, pretty much an eGo (2011): $45 --> now my backup device
Third kit, E-Power 14650 1050mah (2012): $36 --> my main device

Variable costs:
(1) Single-coil XL Boge carto per week: <$8 per month
(1) 30mL bottle of e-liquid, 24mg nic: <$10 per month

Getting a bad batch of cartos will run up your carto costs
Using dual coil cartos will burn juice faster (or so I hear)
Vaping more would also increase your costs

I understand some good tanks or clearos and some DIY can save you tons of $$? My Vivi Nova hasn't arrived so I'm unable to say for sure.

Dauyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2011
Wisconsin
Vapor Beast has a variable voltage Twist starter kit that has batteries with better features (a battery level indicator, easier to read voltage numbers and a metal rather than plastic vape button) than the Joye Twists. Since both you and your wife will be vaping pick up an extra battery although two starter kits would be better because an extra kit will give you a backup for your charger and wall adapter. I just received it but, so far, I like this model of battery much better than the normal Twists I already have.

I would point out that the Apollo Mini vTube is about $15 less than that after the 30% discount- for a better PV with a 1 year warranty.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
My :2c:is I'd advise you to buy the Epower- same PV as the Kgo peraspera mentioned except the batteries are separate from the unit. Extra batteries for the EPower are only $5.00 each and are 1050 mah- 100 mah= 1 hr normal vaping before recharge. Fires at 3.7 volts.
or
you could buy the eGo Mod
Joyetech eGo-T Mod 18650 2200mAh Device - MyFreedomSmokes.com
Batteries are also separate from the PV and extras cost about $7.00 each. They are 2200 mah. Fires at 3.3 volts or can be set to fire at 4.2 and slowly go down as the batt drains.
1 x Joyetech 18650 Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery rated at 2200mAh
1 x Joyetech Battery Mod Tube
1 x Joyetech Battery Mod Control Unit (Control Unit may come with raised button or new flat button design)

You would also need a charger:
Trustfire Mod Battery Charger - MyFreedomSmokes.com
You'd also need some Mini Vivi Novas and some juice.

For us, being able to quit after some 35+ years of smoking -without pain - is priceless. So a price difference comparison is practically impossible in our case.

OK, to real dollars... Compared to around $3.50 (hers) and $4.50 (mine) per pack, we've saved thousands of dollars over the two years we've been vaping compared to what we would have spent on cigs.

I agree with the recommendation for a mod (E-power, eGo-T mod...) with a separate battery. We started with KR808D-1 batteries (which are the battery, switch and connector in one). If say the switch (usually pretty crappy on those) goes, you're chucking the battery too. Lower cost and bigger possible capacities (i.e. the 2200 mAh 18650) with the mod types. That's what we use now.

Another data point... I kept track and know I averaged 23 cigs per day for the last year I smoked. A fairly serious habit I guess. I keep very close track of our juice too. I'm pretty constant over two years at just under 2ml of 24mg juice per day. All up we've paid an average of $ 0.42 per ml for all the juice we've bought including the shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread