Printed Mechanical Bottom Feeder Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
So while the beta testers and I were hashing through improvements to the Printed dna Bottom Feeder, I put together a printed mechanical bottom feeder and doubled the fun for the guys in the group. The objective was to get the form factor into the smallest space possible, use an 18650 battery, and have a 6ml or 9ml juice bottle. I also wanted to keep the complexity to a minimum as well as the cost for hardware to put one together. The parts are readily sourced (although some with pesky MOQ’s).

Fully assembled without a battery or juice in the bottle, it weighs in at 43g or 1.5oz. And it only has 5 printed parts. Its still in late stage beta, but its working really well so far.

Dimensions of the body (w/o button) are: 3.25” (83mm) x 1.73” (44mm) x .95” (24mm).

This is the most developed version:
hskCuho.jpg

Next to the V3.1:
5abSm7i.jpg

Without the body and ring:
Y3bfYtD.jpg

Skeleton of the parts:
uOlFaFx.jpg

Compared to a Reo for size:
2lP7WWc.jpg

Vdrop is fairly good. Before any tweaking, with a 1.1 ohm coil I measured a .17 drop on a semi fresh LG HE2, Subohm was respectable as well in the mid .20’s to .32. The device is remarkably light, completely pocketable and a perfect all day steath vape.

Much credit to the beta group: Alexander Mundy, BobC, Kataphratos, T1lVl, 4Nic8, Rossum, Jakematic, ValHeli and B2L

Last edited:
Reactions: Retro138

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Kinda dirty because I carry it doing construction work. Note the low profile button which is a recent development. (Thanks G) Also note how it makes an RM2 look big. I would not recommend the stainless button and ring unless you want to do a LOT of work to size them and clean up the finish. I have customized (lmagine I would do something like that :)) the internal current carrying parts and am getting super low voltage drop with mid sub ohm coil.

20141002_201858_zpskf8edf04.jpg

Kentastic

Not Batman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Central Californication
Kinda dirty because I carry it doing construction work. Note the low profile button which is a recent development. (Thanks G) Also note how it makes an RM2 look big. I would not recommend the stainless button and ring unless you want to do a LOT of work to size them and clean up the finish. I have customized (lmagine I would do something like that :)) the internal current carrying parts and am getting super low voltage drop with mid sub ohm coil.

20141002_201858_zpskf8edf04.jpg

So yeah the thing you can't talk about......

THIS!! I so want this. Exactly what I have been looking for. I love my Reos, but they are pretty heavy (even the SL ones) This could fit in a shirt pocket.

So where do I sign up? Already have a shapeways account, but have no clue how to use it. :p

Is there going to be a hardware order eventually? Forgive me if my excitement is irritating, but I've never dealt with any 3D printing project and have no clue how it works. I understand about how the 3D printing works... ok I don't understand it, but understand what it is, but I don't understand the whole process of selling something by allowing people to print something using your design?

Need a "how to end up with a functioning mod" 101 course.

Ken

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Two of these could fit in a shirt pocket.
Fixed that for you. ;)

One of the beta testers (Kata?) said it fits in the handkerchief pocket of his suit jackets. I can't vouch for that 'cause suit jackets ain't my style, but I can fit the mech and the DNA both into the pocket of some of my Tommy Bahama shirts and I'm not a particularly large guy.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO

THIS!! I so want this. Exactly what I have been looking for. I love my Reos, but they are pretty heavy (even the SL ones) This could fit in a shirt pocket.

So where do I sign up? Already have a shapeways account, but have no clue how to use it. :p

Is there going to be a hardware order eventually? Forgive me if my excitement is irritating, but I've never dealt with any 3D printing project and have no clue how it works. I understand about how the 3D printing works... ok I don't understand it, but understand what it is, but I don't understand the whole process of selling something by allowing people to print something using your design?

Ken

I can tell you that since G has started this thread it shouldn't be long before he gives the answers. As far as the Shapeways parts go, once G lets everyone know where the parts are on Shapeways, you just order them from Shapeways. G isn't selling them, Shapeways is selling them based on the design that G has provided to them. I am sure he will release the parts list for hardware soon and I would bet someone will do a co-op.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA

Ken
This ^^^^^

Kataphraktos

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
Fixed that for you. ;)

One of the beta testers (Kata?) said it fits in the handkerchief pocket of his suit jackets. I can't vouch for that 'cause suit jackets ain't my style, but I can fit the mech and the DNA both into the pocket of some of my Tommy Bahama shirts and I'm not a particularly large guy.

Nope, I'm still waiting for that last bloody fire button to print. Grrrrrr.

I abandoned mechs a while back, I am down to one GP Lux in my collection, but I decided to build a couple of these because... well, just look at that thing!

I ordered all plastic, figured keep it as light as possible.

As I see it, this is the mod that even most non-modders can build pretty easily. It's the LEGO set of home-made mods, without the LEGO look of almost all home-made mods.

Of note from the beta discussions: zero soldering. Outside of painting and cleaning/fitting the 3D parts, this can be built in no time at all. Mr. Mundy made some improvements to his own (shocking, I know) like swapping in a copper rod. I personally don't care, but I suspect lots of folks are going to want to have another look at the v-drop and possible improvements. Whatever happens, keeping this mod simple, easy to build and maintain, with no soldering and little modding is what makes it such a treat.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
How does the material do painted? Cerakoted? It always looks porous, but I nobody ever mentions it so I assume it just looks that way, but feels smooth.

Depending how much they end up costing I'll be getting multiples.

For plastics, the material is porous. It should be sealed. Krylon Matt Finish #1311 or other Poly Sprays seal it nicely, or you can just paint it. The one in the first post was painted with Cerakote. It was very easy, (spray, a 2hr oven bake and your done) and is unbelievably durable.

Gdeal, I like it very much. Please tell me what is the size of the brass threaded rod this uses, M3, 4#40? Also where to get this? :) It looks like a smaller thread size.

Hey Asdaq! The threaded brass is M2, I'll post up a full parts list when we wrap up the beta, but if you want threaded brass, look here, they have a few different sizes: McMaster-Carr

you sneaky beta testers ... you ...

Subbing

lol..thank shapeways for their manufacturing lead time...Idle minds...

Oi vey, this thing is snazzy. Saw a pic of it in the Loki Labs thread and wandered over here like a moth to a bare 100 watt bulb.

Definitely gonna be watching this closely, and sign me up for the 101 class (I'll bring shawarma for us to eat at lunch).

The device is very easy to assemble. The majority of it is just tightening up nuts. I'll post up a build doc, but if you look at the picture above of the parts, that's the basic set-up, it just needs to get done in the printed parts. I put my last device together in less than 30 minutes. Surface treating, prepping parts, painting etc will take a bit more time depending on what you do and use.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Nope, I'm still waiting for that last bloody fire button to print. Grrrrrr.
OK, then it was the other guy from NYC. Us country bumpkins don't cotton much to suit jackets. :D

Of note from the beta discussions: zero soldering.
In theory. I did solder four spots in mine (a v1.0). I should be building a 1.1 next week sometime.

Kataphraktos

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
OK, then it was the other guy from NYC. Us country bumpkins don't cotton much to suit jackets. :D

In theory. I did solder four spots in mine (a v1.0). I should be building a 1.1 next week sometime.

I work on Wall Street (literally), and I haven't shaved since Saturday.My t-shirt is red and says "Green Day".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread