Problems using the Precise+ 18650 w/ Kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2011
Joplin, MO USA
So I have a Precise+ 18650 and I ordered The Kick (from Nhaler). I am using the AW 18490's from Super T and the Kick batts from Nhaler (the purple ones), all full charged. I was noticing when I first got the Kick that I had to press quite a bit harder to get the unit to fire. I noticed that after a few hits it was completely inconsistent. When I press it, the unit would have a few second delay before firing and then would fire good once it got going, but then get interrupted. (like, -----toot-----to-----tooooooooooooo---oot-------toot--). I know it isnt the unit or the battery b/c they work fine in a Silver Bullet. And I know it isnt my Precise b/c my friend has the exact same setup and his is doing the same thing. Does anyone know what is happening here? It seems to be something wrong with pairing the Kick with the Precise, which I was under the assumption was a tested device.

Knucks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2011
NC
You may try this. Get a safety pin and gently stretch the ground spring out just a bit. I was having the exact same issue with my p18 with the kick the entire first day but after this minor adjustment everything is literally perfect. Obviously, one should be extremely careful when doing this but I do recommend trying it. It was like " knight & day" for me. I hope this helps ya out.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah I've tried a few different washer setups and, though some are better than others, none are as consistent as they should be.

First, i'm going to assume your PrecisePlus was working good before you installed the Kick, so we can eliminate the Precise as being the problem.

Second would be setting up the Oring under the battery. The setup is as follows: One thick (.100) Oring (included in your parts pack) under the battery. On the switch throw adjust, 1 or 2 washers depending on your throw preference under the rhodium screw in post. Those running the AW P18650 2600mah prior to the kick, need not change anything, just drop in an AW IMR 18490.

Third, is the ground on the Kick, Once we have determined the Precise is set up correctly, most intermitent Kick problems have to do with the ground. Verify that the ground spring mechanism protruding from the side of the Kick is touching the wall and not be interfered with by any plastic covering from wrap or other debris.

Fourth, top and bottom connections of the Kick. Verify that the Plastic covering isn't off center and interfering with the battery or the top cap post not making full contact with the Kick. Trim back the plastic if necessary.

Lastly, eventually the brass contacts on the Kick will tarnish, clean with a soft cloth and an appropriate cleaner, such as mothers or flitz. You can put a dab of petroleum based products on the top and bottom of the kick too, like vaseline, dexoit gold, noalox etc.

Leonem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2011
Joplin, MO USA
Thanks for the replies guys. I have sanded the inside a bit (and carefully). I scraped the spring a bit. I was using 2 washers and the thick o-ring like your video suggested. I verified that the contacts are all clean and clear. After taking these steps it still isnt performing quite like it should (test was 1/2 hour on a fresh battery). My friend sanded his and has went 24 hours without an issue.

And forcedfuel50 you are correct. It absolutely is not my Precise. I have been using it for a couple months with 0 issues. Great product.

Dan Patrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Texas Forest Country
Its something to do with that purple battery. I had to use 2 of the thinner o rings and 3-4 washers to get it to fit and fire correctly I noticed that it still was a little wonky. Get the red aw batteries readily available here on super t. I am about to order at least the max of six this week.

Chingas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2010
Billings, MT
I am in the same boat as the original poster. Same troubles. Very frustrating because I know it'll be great once I get it working. To fix my problem I tried every recommendation FF made.

First, i'm going to assume your PrecisePlus was working good before you installed the Kick, so we can eliminate the Precise as being the problem.
I bought a new PP+ just to be ready for the Kick. It works great with the recommended battery & I will pound my head against the wall until it works with the Kick.

Second would be setting up the Oring under the battery. The setup is as follows: One thick (.100) Oring (included in your parts pack) under the battery. On the switch throw adjust, 1 or 2 washers depending on your throw preference under the rhodium screw in post. Those running the AW P18650 2600mah prior to the kick, need not change anything, just drop in an AW IMR 18490.
I never changed the original setup until now and that was just to try to get it working. No combination of rings/washers fixes my problem.

Third, is the ground on the Kick, Once we have determined the Precise is set up correctly, most intermitent Kick problems have to do with the ground. Verify that the ground spring mechanism protruding from the side of the Kick is touching the wall and not be interfered with by any plastic covering from wrap or other debris.
No debris or plastic interference between the ground spring and the wall of my PP+.

Fourth, top and bottom connections of the Kick. Verify that the Plastic covering isn't off center and interfering with the battery or the top cap post not making full contact with the Kick. Trim back the plastic if necessary.
No interference here either.

Lastly, eventually the brass contacts on the Kick will tarnish, clean with a soft cloth and an appropriate cleaner, such as mothers or flitz. You can put a dab of petroleum based products on the top and bottom of the kick too, like vaseline, dexoit gold, noalox etc.
I have cleaned, Noaloxed and even tried the pencil eraser trick to no avail.

FYI: I am using the recommended AW IMR 18490 batts with this, I even bought one from SuperT at the end of last year and kept it fresh for my inaugural use with the Kick. My batteries metered anywhere from 4.1-3.9v when I evetually removed them from the PP+. I even went ahead and bought a Pila charger from SuperT just last week to make sure my batts are well charged. I meter them at 4.2 before using. I do not have any other mod I can try the Kick in to compare performance.

One time only has the Kick worked well and I got several hours of great vaping that night. My Batt metered at 3.6v when I was done. I put a full battery in and tried to keep vaping. It crapped out right away.

Sooo, now what? The only things mentioned in this thread I haven't tried are sanding the inner wall and stretching the copper spring. I don't really want to start pulling on the spring as I feel I may really damage it.

@Leonem: Did you ever get yours to work consistently?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread