Prof Reviews the Super T Precise Workhorse 18500

Status
Not open for further replies.

prof beard

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Stafford UK
You will know that I have a fair collection of Super T products (the oldest going back getting on for five years). This has come about because I have always been pleased with the manufacturing standards of the products - which always have a really "engineered feel" to them. This has been borne out in practice by the fact that I have never had a Super T product fail on me.

I was impressed by David's decision to bring out a "low cost" Super T mod - aimed at "use in the roughest and toughest situations". Frankly, as an Emeritus Professor, I rarely find myself in situations which are "rough and tough" but what the hey!

I don't like people who clone other peoples' products (especially when they even use the name and logo) and have never bought such stuff. I respect others' right to buy these things, but I hope the emergence of lower cost products from the likes of Super T will encourage the less well off vaper to consider buying "real' rather than "snide".

Why did I buy the 18500?

I decided to go for the 18500 version because I have several 14500 Super T mods (two Simplicities and a Super 6) and two good 18350 mods (P+ and my new RSM Hybrid). For "versatile use" I have my ELA... However I only have the one 18500 (another P+) and my Strata atomiser generally lives on that. So, the 18500 seemed the best choice.

What arrived?

I ordered the Workhorse 18500 from Cloud 9 on Saturday (at a cost of £69.95) and it arrived - nicely wrapped in blue tissue together with a toffee - on Tuesday morning.

Having unwrapped things I saw:

2924ms4.jpg

Inside was the Workhorse:

tarptv.jpg

and a bag of o-rings and washers (I've got quite a collection of Super T o-rings and washers :) ):

9undlg.jpg

When I took the cap off the Workhorse, I had a surprise:

14iitn7.jpg

When I extracted the folded bit of cardboard, I found:

348setk.jpg
4hckcz.jpg

I'd like to applaud Cloud 9 for this - in these days of sub-ohming, this advice is salutary.

Setting things up

Here is the cap to the Workhorse:

dw86dz.jpg

9ao6km.jpg

As you can see, the palladium coated centre post is adjustable via a screw thread.

Now, the P+ and Simplicity Super T models were very much designed as "set up once and use" devices and the Workhorse follows the same ethos. If you want to be able to readily switch on the fly between batteries of significantly different lengths, then the Workhorse is probably not for you.

Super T mods like this always come pre-set for AW batteries (I use these in my P+ 18550 and Strata combo) but I normally use one or other of these 18500 batteries (because I vape using coils down to around 0.5ohms):

ab1fk8.jpg

Luckily these are very similar in length, so I went about setting up the Workhorse for these.

The button is unscrewed via a screw-head at the button of the body:

9bezcn.jpg

As it comes, the Workhorse has two "fat" o-rings in it, the Efest and Sibeile batteries require one fat and one thin to sit in the tube without rattle and allow the cap to screw on comfortably. I did that.

I unscrewed the button with a flat-bladed screwdriver down the tube. To stop the button rotating, I inserted a small cross-head 'driver into one of the vent-holes in the button:

zmgv0z.jpg

Here is the button and spring:

fka0x1.jpg

As pre-set for the AWs, the screw (palladium coated) uses a fat brass washer:

35iyqfl.jpg

Looking at the batteries I wanted to use, I assessed this should be replaced with two of the supplied thin washers:

245nc07.jpg

I screwed things back together and went off and found a couple of likely atomisers. The o-rings in the Workhorse provide sufficient "compressibility" to cope with the variations caused by adjustment of the centre-post (and minor variations in battery length)...

So here is the Workhorse with my Eviva by Atmistique:

2nun2pd.jpg

And, looking really good in my opinion, with my Vulcan:

f0aidy.jpg

I got the vape I expected from both atomisers, so I guess I can say: "It works!"

It has the usual "built like a brick outhouse" feel I expect from Super T. Good value for money in my view...

Last edited:
Reactions: ronmack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread