Pros. And Cons...Convince me or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneylandx

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Loiusiana
Hi all,

With all these political issues on the horizon around vaping I have been looking into getting a mechanical mod just in case they vote something silly in that affects me. I have never owned a Reo but have started today reading that this is one of the best options on the market. I currently use a Provari with a vivi nova delivery system. I night I swap out the nova for a zatty pro rba. Please help me with a few questions I have.

1) should I go with the grand or mini. I currently have a decent supply of 18490 batteries but no of the ones needed for the grand. On the other hand I like the idea of 6ml bottles versus 3ml bottles.
2) what is everyone's favorite atomizer? I currently have a hh357 but at the price of these things I can't afford to buy on a regular basis
3) is this thing pocket friendly? It looks like the lid slide up and down really easy
4) IMO the Provari is the best VV on the market. In your opinion is the Reo(or mini) the Cadillac of mechanical mods.

Thanks for all your help

lazyymatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas
1) No question you SHOULD have a Reo as a part of your mod arsenal! If you are Provari user I think you might want to look into getting a VV Grand instead of the regulars. I had a Lavatube before I switched and I wish I had just gotten the VV instead of the regular but mostly because of the battery regulation in the VV models.

2) RBA RBA RBA you NEED to have one of these in my opinion because not only will it save you money, it tastes a lot better building your own coils and they are built to last. Very easy and there are so many great tutorials out here on building coils. But if not I always enjoyed the Cisco atties from Avid. I just bought some Aero 510 bridgeless to test flavors and they are real nice. The regular bridges 510 Ciscos are definitely good too.

3) VERY pocket friendly. Trust me carrying around a tube device is not very stealthy and actually looks a little....odd? Lol if you catch my drift. It's smaller than my iphone (more thicker though) and literally fits right in the palm of my hands. It is awesome and I still can't believe I carried my LT in my pockets for a year.

4) YES Reos are the Cadillacs of mech. mods. I hear there is another mod like VMod or something but its pretty much all plastic and I've seen many users switch to Reo but never vice versa.

I'm telling you getting a Reo AND an RBA changed my life. I am going to be purchasing a VV Grand soon!

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
For totally all mechanical, you'll want a Grand (6 ml. bottle) or the Mini 2.1 (18490 batteries)....pick your poison.....buying different batteries or settling for a 3 ml. bottle. :) REOs really are the Cadillacs of bottom feeders (Or Rolls Royce, maybe?? They're awesome.) The Mini 2.1 is the same as the Mini 18490 2.0 except the catch cup is bigger so that it will hold most of the RBAs that are out these days for bottom feeders.

OPINION: (Others will have their own opinions.) The Chalice is the best RBA out right now for bottom feeders, but they're very expensive ($150 or so) and almost impossible to find. I think the next run is going to be around April or May. (Mark Bugs) The ERA is the next down.... Indy Vapor Shop - around $75.00 Lots of REOnauts have them. The Hornet is an ERA that is a little smaller and will fit the Mini REOs. The A7 is an inexpensive atty that will work on the REOs, but some don't like it because of the position (bottom) of the air intake, and because the center pin is not all that steady. There's a thread about all the RBAs that will fit the different REO models. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/377836-reo-compatible-rbas.html There are a couple of others that I haven't tried, so someone else will need to chime in on those. Remember, this is just my opinion.

The REOmizer mentioned in that thread is an inexpensive RBA that was available on the REO site for awhile. Rob (redeyedancer....the mod master) modified an inexpensive RBA to fit the bottom feeders. It is no longer available.

Hope this helps.

Jan

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
For totally all mechanical, you'll want a Grand (6 ml. bottle) or the Mini 2.1 (18490 batteries)....pick your poison.....buying different batteries or settling for a 3 ml. bottle. :) REOs really are the Cadillacs of bottom feeders (Or Rolls Royce, maybe?? They're awesome.) The Mini 2.1 is the same as the Mini 18490 2.0 except the catch cup is bigger so that it will hold most of the RBAs that are out these days for bottom feeders.

OPINION: (Others will have their own opinions.) The Chalice is the best RBA out right now for bottom feeders, but they're very expensive ($150 or so) and almost impossible to find. I think the next run is going to be around April or May. (Mark Bugs) The ERA is the next down.... Indy Vapor Shop - around $75.00 Lots of REOnauts have them. The Hornet is an ERA that is a little smaller and will fit the Mini REOs. The A7 is an inexpensive atty that will work on the REOs, but some don't like it because of the position (bottom) of the air intake, and because the center pin is not all that steady. There's a thread about all the RBAs that will fit the different REO models. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/377836-reo-compatible-rbas.html There are a couple of others that I haven't tried, so someone else will need to chime in on those. Remember, this is just my opinion.

The REOmizer mentioned in that thread is an inexpensive RBA that was available on the REO site for awhile. Rob (redeyedancer....the mod master) modified an inexpensive RBA to fit the bottom feeders. It is no longer available.

Hope this helps.

Jan
Rob still has reomizers but they aren't on the site. You can PM him and he will hook it up.

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
Thanks but if I get the VV reo isn't that defeating the purpose of a mechanical mod? Also what RBA is the best for a Rei

Yes.
You're a provari user. I'm a darwin/buzz user. Mechanical is mechanical. My darwin, old buzz and other mods sit in a drawer. Nice to have them, but I only try them to see if they still work. The Darwin's battery life amazes me.

But I work in IT and I'm so sick of digital crap flaking out. If I were you I'd buy a grand for the battery life and 6ml bottle. It'll fit in a pocket, but with an atty/carto on top - you'll know it's there.

Attys, cartomizers... so much personal preference I won't comment. I'm liking the RBA stuff, the little bit of experience I've had with them. There is a stickied thread that lists the ones compatible w/ different reo models. The more popular ones I read about are the A7 (won't fit on the smaller reos, cheap, I have one and it seems OK on my grand), the A7 mini (I guess it fits on the smaller reos), the brother and sister combination of the ERA (fits on larger reos) and Hornet (also fits on the smaller REOs). There are others too. The one that everyone raves about is a Chalice. You can't get them though. The manufacturer told me a couple of days ago it would be 3 to 4 months before they made anymore. So I'm out on that.

Buy a Grand. I'd like a mini, don't care about another VV, but I know my grands will work no matter what. I have four of them. EMP ready!!! :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Having minis and grands, I too recommend a grand. It is more an all around workhorse with the bigger battery, juice well and bottle. It's not much bigger than a mini either.

The good news is that if you have an xtar charger, you can use the spacers between the battery and spring and use your 18490s in the grand until you get around to getting 18650s!

Can't really go wrong with either a one though.

I also recommend an RBA. I have experience with a hornet and a chalice, both work very well and are very user friendly, but like Jan said, chalices are hard to come by.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
1). I like my VV Grand, it's pretty rock solid reliable. Of the choice between the regular Grand or 2.1 mini, I'd choose the grand because of the bigger batteries and bottle. However, this is all largely theoretical; once you try a Reo and give it a fair shot, you're going to get another one. Be warned.

2). Agree 100% with JCOkie on the Chalice. My next best experience was on the Reomizer. Haven't tried the ERA yet. The A7 despite a few shortcomings is cheap and readily available. Nice thing about a good bottom feeding RBA is that they usually make good drippers, too. May be best to start off with a few good SR or LR cartos until you get your squonking skills down.

3). Door sliding off is absolutely not a problem.

4). My experience is the same as garyinco, even down to the mods. And I've tried quite a few of them. Don't be surprised if your new back up vape becomes your workhorse, and your workhorses become your backups.

swamijivan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Sunny Italy (South!)
Hi all,

With all these political issues on the horizon around vaping I have been looking into getting a mechanical mod just in case they vote something silly in that affects me. I have never owned a Reo but have started today reading that this is one of the best options on the market. I currently use a Provari with a vivi nova delivery system. I night I swap out the nova for a zatty pro rba. Please help me with a few questions I have.

1) should I go with the grand or mini. I currently have a decent supply of 18490 batteries but no of the ones needed for the grand. On the other hand I like the idea of 6ml bottles versus 3ml bottles.
2) what is everyone's favorite atomizer? I currently have a hh357 but at the price of these things I can't afford to buy on a regular basis
3) is this thing pocket friendly? It looks like the lid slide up and down really easy
4) IMO the Provari is the best VV on the market. In your opinion is the Reo(or mini) the Cadillac of mechanical mods.

Thanks for all your help
With yours needings I will go for a Grand and a Kick, with a RBA (Chalice wolud be the first choice..but also Hornet is a good one) You will have a 6ml bottle mechanical mod, variable watts, using your 18490 battery sets, and you can easy forget about volts bulding coils from 0.90 (!!!) to 1.6 ohms as you want.
Be carefull... the first Reo will never remain without sisters!

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
I have only had my reo grand for about a week and my zmax is now my backup. There is just no reason for me to fiddle with menus when all I have to do is squeeze the bottle, squonk, hit the button and bam best vape ever. I love my grand and for me there is no going back. I have found another use for my zmax, I plan to test the resistance of my coils on it first before I use them on my grand.

I haven't decided yet if I will buy a VVG, but I know I will be getting another Reo!!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
i spent a couple of hours yesterday researching the REO and dreamed about it last night. I am currently waiting to here from Robert to see if he can tell me when the Reomizer will be available again. Once I can buy both I am pulling the trigger.

The Reomizer is by request only. So your contact with Robert will allow you to get one with your order.

Please know that the Reomizer was a Chinese atty modded by Robert to work on the larger REO's. It will not fit the cups of the Mini, Mini 2.0 and smaller Wood Reo's.

Because it's quality was not up to REO standards Robert decided to pull it from the site. This is what he said:
I will no longer be selling the reomiser . The atomizer is not durable enough for the average vaper . Until I have time to build one a truck can run over I wont be selling any rbas

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
i spent a couple of hours yesterday researching the REO and dreamed about it last night. I am currently waiting to here from Robert to see if he can tell me when the Reomizer will be available again. Once I can buy both I am pulling the trigger.

Try sending him an email.

swamijivan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Sunny Italy (South!)

Just PM redeyedancer ... he will come back soon, also if this week he as some staff missing.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
1) Tough call, they both have their good points. I love my mini 2.0 and the 2.1 can only be better with the bigger catch cup. Though I don't actually own a grand, I'm rather fond of the 6ml bottle on my vvGrand. If you vape less than 3mls a day, a mini 2.1 should do you. If you vape more than 3mls a day, you may want to go with the Grand.
2) I'm with you on the HH357. I was rather fond of the Cisco 306s, both bridged and bridgeless. But I've since moved on to RBAs. The limited offer that Digitalciggz sometimes puts up with the Joye 510s is a great deal and the atties are fantastic for the price. Keep an eye on the Deals & Specials thread up in the stickies...folks will post links when that offer comes around again.
3) That all depends on how tight your pants are. Coat pockets and purses are not a problem...but tight jeans is another story. You can just change the way you pull your mod out of your pocket if it's an issue or bend the door a smidge (at your own risk) to tighten it up.
4) Yes...but then, I'm biased. :blush:

If you do get the reomizer, please do not over tighten it. Once it gets stuck, it can be a challenge to get it unstuck and the posts can't stand up to being used as leverage.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
1. Reo Grand
2. AW IMR 18650 batteries (4 in rotation is a good number if used daily)
3. Bottom feeder compatible RBA of your choice
4. 28 or 30 AWG Kanthal A-1 and a supply of 2mm or 3mm silica (3 to 5 wraps of either size wire around a folded piece of either size silica will vape like a dream on a Grand IF you are using a quality IMR 18650)

The batteries, kanthal, and silica will always be available no matter what restrictions the FDA might ever impose. Flavorings, PG, and VG will be around too, and anyone can mix up some yummy DIY juice with a little research and experimentation. Nicotine? I couldn't say what the future holds for consumer availability, but I'm prepared to wean myself off it or possibly utilize the resulting black market, should it be regulated out of reach for legitimate purchase. (Maybe I'll use nicotine patches as wicks in my RBA :p)

That just leaves the RBA and the Grand itself. The RBA is more likely to need repair or replacement before the Grand ever would. Plan for that however you see fit. With some easy-peasy maintenance, the Grand will last forever. Also, Rob will provide any necessary support, service, and repair should something go wonky with the Grand (stuff happens).

Just my :2c: Good luck!

Disneylandx

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Loiusiana
Just pulled the trigger and purchased me a awesome looking black with red door Reo Grand. Skippped out on the Reomizer though. Now I am needing to purchase some batteries. Went to several websites to buy some AW IMR 18650 but can't find the exact battery REOSMODS recomends. They link you to RTD Vapor for there 18650 16000mAh batteries but they are out. The do have the 2000mAh in stock. Will these work just as good?

boilednuts

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
ALOHA STATE
Just pulled the trigger and purchased me a awesome looking black with red door Reo Grand. Skippped out on the Reomizer though. Now I am needing to purchase some batteries. Went to several websites to buy some AW IMR 18650 but can't find the exact battery REOSMODS recomends. They link you to RTD Vapor for there 18650 16000mAh batteries but they are out. The do have the 2000mAh in stock. Will these work just as good?

I use both and can't really tell the difference. Congrats on your new Reo, I know you'll enjoy it big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread