Provari 3.0?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2013
Bay Area 51
Look into your crystal ball and tell me when you think this may happen? ..

Side topic - this green horn would like history lesson on this beloved device. Any old-timers willing to share? At least a timeline of previous release dates, ..is there a pattern? Also any or all interesting fun facts/tidbits/secrets/rumours about this device is appreciated!

Last edited:

sdotsd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
usa
It will be a while, IMO. They just released the 2.5, which was strictly cosmetic. Some folks are saying they need to go variable watt, higher amp limit, etc. I can see the merits of upgraded electronics, but I don't care. My provari is still the best device I own. Higher amp limit would be nice for RBAs, but nobody has a device out now anyways that can handle super low resistance, so a mech mod is still the best option for those. You also have to remember that Provape has very good customer service, meaning that if they did upgrade the provari with new electronics, they would probably offer existing customers a way to upgrade their current device. Which has to be a giant hassle, as awesome as it is for us. If you're teetering on getting one, and you use cartos/tanks or clearos, get one, I think you'll love it. And rest assured that when they do release a new version, they will probably work with you on upgrading your device.

Last edited:

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
What are you looking for in v3.0, vw, fancy but useless screen display info (puff counter) like on the eVic?

There are several people who insist vw is the only way. Provari is proven and reliable. I want something that doesn't break.

Look into your crystal ball and tell me when you think this may happen? ..

Side topic - this green horn would like history lesson on this beloved device. Any old-timers willing to share? At least a timeline of previous release dates, ..is there a pattern? Also any all interesting fun facts/tidbits/secrets about this device is appreciated!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
What are you looking for in v3.0, vw, fancy but useless screen display info (puff counter) like on the eVic?

There are several people who insist vw is the only way. Provari is proven and reliable. I want something that doesn't break.

Instant insults.
Because someone ask about advancement someone else feels the need to Defense Status QUO as if these must remain unaltered in order to function properly.
News Flash - It got a upgrade once to make it mechanically better. It got a cosmetic upgrade to enhance finish.
It is possible to make changes without degrading the unit.

If there was not change there would be no Provari in any form only the Provape.:glare:

Imagine that - the world's not flat:D

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I appreciate your comment to me, and constant knocks, and insults. However, I think I'll wait to see what the OP wants, or is looking for in v3.0.

Instant insults.
Because someone ask about advancement someone else feels the need to Defense Status QUO as if these must remain unaltered in order to function properly.
News Flash - It got a upgrade once to make it mechanically better. It got a cosmetic upgrade to enhance finish.
It is possible to make changes without degrading the unit.

If there was not change there would be no Provari in any form only the Provape.:glare:

Imagine that - the world's not flat:D

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
A member here responded to a thread about 7-8 months ago.
The thread was just another Everyone Vs. Provari thread.
The member stated that he had e-mailed Provape politely asking if they would be updating the software.
Provape allegedly replied stating that they would be working on new tank systems before working on software.
They supposedly said that it would be 1.5 to 2 years before they would think about integrating VW into their devices.
If everyone would be so kind as to read this, we would no longer have to discuss it :p

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan

Personally I wouldn't care about puff counter. VW would be nice, but not necessary. OLED display would be very nice, I'm not into the look of a 1980ies calculator :) Up/down buttons would make it more user friendly.

In other words, smaller Vamo with Provari build quality and output stabilization.

Just because you want something that doesn't break (as reasonable as that is), doesn't mean it can be updated to keep up with the times.

Kyndcookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dallas, TX

I love responses like this. Reminds of those guys on gun forums who insist a 1911 can not vary from John Browning's 100 year old design.

Yeah, a Provari with variable wattage and a fancy screen would be very nice, considering the much cheaper eVic has both. That screen, by the way, is quite useful. I don't display the puff counter. My screen currently displays the atomizer ohms and voltage. I could change it to show any number of things, depending on what I think is important. I can also change the voltage (or wattage) instantly without all those dumb button pushes. Before you get your panties in a twist I own a Provari, and just ordered my second one. Overall I like the Provari better, but the eVic has a lot of great features and is a much friendlier mod to use day to day, especially if you change tanks many times a day like I do.

If Joyetech decided to up the build quality a little I think it would be a serious threat to the Provari. Provari doesn't need to reduce its build quality to add more features. When the first Provari with a user-friendly (er) interface, variable wattage and an OLED screen comes out I'll be in line with everyone else because that's what I really want from the supposed leader in APVs.

I'll happily continue to use all my gear, but I secretly wish my eVic and Provari would hook up and make some cool baby "eProVic" mods.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I appreciate your comment to me, and constant knocks, and insults. However, I think I'll wait to see what the OP wants, or is looking for in v3.0.

Not about you at all. If not you posting another would come in with the same comments. It always, with a capitol A, happens when anyone ask anything about future updates of a Provari.

It is like owners are terrified that the only device they will ever need might just get better, leaving them to wonder what the heck just happened.
Once one owns the end all be all there can never be anything better..............Horse Pooh
What could possibly justify any company never looking to improve what they market? where is the logic in that assumption?

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
If Joyetech decided to up the build quality a little I think it would be a serious threat to the Provari.
I'm not faintest bit interested what Provape brings out next, as they are a low-innovation and status quo based company. Joyetech are the guys to watch. The eVic has only been out for a few months and is already by leaps and bounds the all-time APV top-seller.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I wish they'd add VW just so we could end these stupid arguments! I don't want or need it, but if it would end some of this BS, bring it on!
As for the 80's calculator screen, the oled screens haven't proven durable in many cases. They don't put up with juice spills, the have shown burnt area's and are illegible in bright sunlight. Until the technology is improved and proven more durable don't expect to see one in a Provari.
Provape isn't about the latest and greatest new fangled technology, they stick with tried and tested, military grade components. One of the reasons it's so expensive!
The Chinese are developing this technology so fast that it isn't thoroughly tested or proven. This is the reason there are so many failures with these devices, as well as constant upgrades in the manufacture of them.
I was looking at the Evic, the Zmax SS and the Provari. At the time the Evic was listed for $145, the Zmax was $125 and the Provari $165. I watched the initial reviews of the Evic, software problems, a couple didn't work at all, It didn't seem worth the money to me at all. The Zmax seemed to be well received, but I really wanted a smaller size, I'd had my Lava tube for a while and didn't like lugging it around. So for not much more than either, at that time, I could get a Provari mini. Good build quality, held it's value, had lots of positive reviews and was the size I liked. Not a hard choice for me.
Now, had I bought the Evic or Zmax at that time, I'd be ...... right now! You can now pick up either for around $60! Less than half of what they originally listed for?
From my perspective, it's seems like I'd to have to pay more to be a guinea pig testing the first batch, then after it's fixed and updated someone else gets to use the product for a reasonable price! I've since learned not to get in a hurry on what the latest and greatest product from China is. What a couple of months and you can get it for half of what the product testers paid! That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth!
I don't see Provape putting anything out that hasn't been "battle tested" of sorts, just so they don't fall into this position.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
I couldn't have said it better myself. As far as "battle tested", Provape manufactures their product to MIL spec's. Now I have to ask, who else does that?

I wish they'd add VW just so we could end these stupid arguments! I don't want or need it, but if it would end some of this BS, bring it on!
As for the 80's calculator screen, the oled screens haven't proven durable in many cases. They don't put up with juice spills, the have shown burnt area's and are illegible in bright sunlight. Until the technology is improved and proven more durable don't expect to see one in a Provari.
Provape isn't about the latest and greatest new fangled technology, they stick with tried and tested, military grade components. One of the reasons it's so expensive!
The Chinese are developing this technology so fast that it isn't thoroughly tested or proven. This is the reason there are so many failures with these devices, as well as constant upgrades in the manufacture of them.
I was looking at the Evic, the Zmax SS and the Provari. At the time the Evic was listed for $145, the Zmax was $125 and the Provari $165. I watched the initial reviews of the Evic, software problems, a couple didn't work at all, It didn't seem worth the money to me at all. The Zmax seemed to be well received, but I really wanted a smaller size, I'd had my Lava tube for a while and didn't like lugging it around. So for not much more than either, at that time, I could get a Provari mini. Good build quality, held it's value, had lots of positive reviews and was the size I liked. Not a hard choice for me.
Now, had I bought the Evic or Zmax at that time, I'd be ...... right now! You can now pick up either for around $60! Less than half of what they originally listed for?
From my perspective, it's seems like I'd to have to pay more to be a guinea pig testing the first batch, then after it's fixed and updated someone else gets to use the product for a reasonable price! I've since learned not to get in a hurry on what the latest and greatest product from China is. What a couple of months and you can get it for half of what the product testers paid! That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth!
I don't see Provape putting anything out that hasn't been "battle tested" of sorts, just so they don't fall into this position.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
I couldn't have said it better myself. As far as "battle tested", Provape manufactures their product to MIL spec's. Now I have to ask, who else does that?

I know it's somewhat apples to oranges, but there's plenty of military grade shock/water/scratch resistant phones. Most of them have manage more than one button, and more than 3x7 pixel screens :) Of course, TFT would be serious overkill on a PV, but I'm sure OLED is possible. I can add Nokia meme here, if you'd like.

As a matter of my opinion (which is subjective), forget the screen. It may be silly looking and antique, but it does the job. But if they can make one reliable button, why not add two more -- for up and down voltage and whatever else you may need?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I know it's somewhat apples to oranges, but there's plenty of military grade shock/water/scratch resistant phones. Most of them have manage more than one button, and more than 3x7 pixel screens :) Of course, TFT would be serious overkill on a PV, but I'm sure OLED is possible. I can add Nokia meme here, if you'd like.

As a matter of my opinion (which is subjective), forget the screen. It may be silly looking and antique, but it does the job. But if they can make one reliable button, why not add two more -- for up and down voltage and whatever else you may need?

Two reasons that I can think of, it simplifies the design and works with the chipset they are using.
Myself, having used a single button system, my Provari, and a three button system, I much prefer the single button! My lava tube fires in my pocket all the time, my Provari doesn't. My lava tube will change the voltage while in my pocket, my Provari doesn't. Sometimes when I hit the fire button on my lava tube I hit the voltage buttons and change the setting, don't have that problem with the Provari. Sometimes I have to hit the button 7 times, sometimes I have hit the button 15 times to get my Lava tube to turn on. First, I never have to turn on my Provari, pop the battery out, new one in, away we go. I hit the button 5 times and I'm in the menu, every time! Not sometimes 6, not sometimes 10, just 5.
I was also apprehensive about the menu myself, watched the videos, read about it on here, watched some more videos, it seemed clumsy to me. But in real world use, it's very simple, very intuitive to use and your settings don't get inadvertently changed! I for one, hope that is a feature they never change now that I've used it.
It's a common complaint a lot of people, that have never used it, seem to have, but another perspective, just like anything else, the more you add to it, the more chance there is something can go wrong! Be it with people, cars, electronics and so on! Look at the Iphone and Ipad, really, there's only one button we use most of the time.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
ProVari 3.0 with VW? no thanks... not a big difference between VV and VW... tried VW it is awesome but its not a must (my personal opinion)... high amp limit should be the factor... accurate VV+ high amp limit sounds more reasonable than adding VW... my :2c:

But the 2 and 2.5 already have the high amp limit and super accurate voltage control. The only thing they could really do is add more features.

You're right, it's apples to oranges. My cell phone is MIL spec. As far a OLED, thy're not as durable as LED.

Speaking of cell phones and how durable they have become, I bought one of these when they came out. Oddly a 3ft drop bricked it! Got another and it lasted years, still going. But it just goes to show anything can happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread