ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I only have one team that rises to the level of "hate". That team is the Duke basketball team. My dislike started in 1992 in the greatest single college game of all time, Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament. Duke won but it was a great game.
I like Coach K (not as much lately now that he recruits nothing but one and dones...like Calipari) and his players but cannot stand their arrogant fan base. Bush league fans.

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I only have one team that rises to the level of "hate". That team is the Duke basketball team. My dislike started in 1992 in the greatest single college game of all time, Elite Eight in the NCAA tournament. Duke won but it was a great game.

I'm almost afraid to type it, but wasn't that the Laettner game? :nun:

Reactions: Bronze

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I tried to type his name and describe the event, I got the shakes and had to stop. But, you are absolutely correct.
:evil::shock:

Understood, and agreed that it was a great one. As a disassociated observer though, for me, I'm not sure anything will ever top Jimmy Valvano running around the court, looking for someone to hug. :thumbs:

Just coincidently, it might possibly be David Thompson slaying the UCLA Goliath, but no, I think Jimmy V. gets the gold.

For me, of course. :)

Reactions: CMD-Ky

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'd rather lose by 25 than by a buzzer beater. In fact, I'd rather not go to the title game at all than to lose a title game.

Not me.

I think you, Sir Bronze, might be familiar with the line: "The point of a journey is not to arrive".

I'll take the ride, thank ye very much. :cool:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Understood, and agreed that it was a great one. As a disassociated observer though, for me, I'm not sure anything will ever top Jimmy Valvano running around the court, looking for someone to hug. :thumbs:

Just coincidently, it might possibly be David Thompson slaying the UCLA Goliath, but no, I think Jimmy V. gets the gold.

That entire season was a miracle. NC State had absolutely no business winning that title. Yet they did.

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
That entire season was a miracle. NC State had absolutely no business winning that title. Yet they did.

Given what became of all parties, it makes you think. Doesn't it?

Jimmy's name is now up there with Danny Thomas' in the area of cancer treatment.

It makes me think. That's for sure.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Given what became of all parties, it makes you think. Doesn't it?

Jimmy's name is now up there with Danny Thomas' in the area of cancer treatment.

It makes me think. That's for sure.
Yeah, Valvano's legacy has really paid off. Literally.

Funny, one of my good high school friend's name is Val Vanno. :)

• Winner
Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Game 7 Toronto Raptors... 4.2 seconds left

On the road to winning it all :cool:

The stakes weren't quite as high, but LJ's 4 point play was nothing to sneeze at.

I've felt Madison Square Garden erupt many times, but I'm not sure I've ever seen or felt anything like the split second when Larry's "Three" fell as the foul was being called.

It used to be pretty okay to be a Knicks fan. :|

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

It was a great look, Valvano will never be forgotten, his running around will be shown every March forever. You are right.

Users who are viewing this thread