Pure Vapes has 3ml FlavourArt flavorings

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
have you tried the mangosteen yet ? I've never had the actual fruit or even heard of it. sounds really good tho . that was one of the ones I ordered. also the Jamaican rum. wanting to try it with the vanilla custard like you had mention in my thread the other day .

I have! Searching for mangosteen is how I found PureVapes, so I tried it right away. It's kind of like lychee, but more flavorful to me. Very rough description: pear + apple (EDIT: pear + orange, I mean!), sweet. If you have an Asian grocer, you GOTTA try real mangosteen, it's delicious!! The vape is a reasonable flavor match. I haven't tried mixing it with anything yet, but I'll bet it's great with papaya, passionfruit, lychee.

Yeah, FA Jamaican Rum is the best. By itself, in Custard, with coconut, in pina colada, and did I mention by itself? It even adds throat hit, which is great for my all-VG recipes. Their Brandy is another I'm playing with, trying to make chocolate-covered-brandied-cherries. It's super strong; this little bottle is a lifetime supply for me.

Hey, let us know how you like FA flavors as you try them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenna

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
Nikhil at pure vapes is a great guy and very knowledgable. He's always been very helpful to answer questions on DIY. :)
I set up a DIY swaps thread in pif. I figured it would be a good way to try a few mls of flavors before buying a larger bottle. Don't know why it never took off :?:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414137

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
where do you think after trying what you have tried is a good starting area ?

I start at 2 or 3% for fruits. That's what I do for most FA. A few (tobaccos especially, coffees, chocolate) are best to try at 1% first.

I've rarely used over 5% for any FA flavoring. If someone needs 15%, I'd suspect they added so much that the flavor faded....then added even more, until flavor returned a bit. Definitely start much lower.

Here's a spreadsheet I like to use, starting percents for FA and others: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr..._hQ6Fu8HdEwwR2dLRUJlVjlabEN1NG1ucktuUVE&gid=0

Reactions: LeeLee26

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
FA tobaccos are really odd and don't follow my Flavoring Level chart. Different %'s can have completely different tastes.

There is one I use at a fraction of 1% all the way up to 15%. The way it tastes at less than 1% is different than at 3% which is different than 7% which is different again at 11% and completely different at 15% and while all different from each other, it still works. This cool feature of many of FA's tobacco flavorings also makes them fairly difficult to work with as the complete change in taste can come if you go 0.2% over or under. But when you hit what you want, they are plain amazing.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
FA tobaccos are really odd and don't follow my Flavoring Level chart. Different %'s can have completely different tastes.

There is one I use at a fraction of 1% all the way up to 15%. The way it tastes at less than 1% is different than at 3% which is different than 7% which is different again at 11% and completely different at 15% and while all different from each other, it still works. This cool feature of many of FA's tobacco flavorings also makes them fairly difficult to work with as the complete change in taste can come if you go 0.2% over or under. But when you hit what you want, they are plain amazing.

And once (yet again!) - thank you SO much for that information, Hoosier! We'd read your posts on that somewhere else and just decided to check it out. We're just finishing up a marathon-mix-session, and for the first time we tried some of the FA tobaccos at what we'd always considered to be 'crazy-high' (assuming the flavor would just get stronger & stronger until it muted itself). But WOW, the change of flavors is INCREDIBLE!

And now we're going to find that 0.2% over/under can do that? Oh my.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
But WOW, the change of flavors is INCREDIBLE!

And now we're going to find that 0.2% over/under can do that? Oh my.

Yeah, the first few times it happens to you, you look at the flavoring bottle, your notes, and just wonder what the???? After you get the hang of it, you'll know that someone who always mixes a FA tobacco at x% has a very limited knowledge of what tastes that flavoring is capable of.

Yeah, and it's tricky since I know one works up to 5.7%, but at 5.9% it tastes like burnt coca and then I need to go over 9% for the flavor to change again. The break points are tough to nail down and can change when mixing with other tobacco flavorings.

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
So how did you guys like the Samples they offered? Any feedback yet?

I already had 50-60 well-used FA flavors and wanted to try some I was curious about. I've posted comments, reviews, recipes with FA flavors all over the place, but I'll tell you a few of my best FA hits and worst misses.

Coffee Espresso: plain at 2% or as a drop or two added to 5ml of something sweet flavors (for fancy coffee flavor), this is a strong, non-bitter, excellent coffee. Coffees are my #1 vape, and they almost all use this. For fancy coffee flavors, mix everything else first, then add a drop of Espresso at a time. Excellent.

Tiramisu: 2-3% if you like strong coffee flavor, or a drop here and there for a good shot of coffee, chocolate, and cake. This rightfully gets rave reviews. It's flavorful and I usually use it 1% or so as an ingredient in coffee-ish and bakery recipes. It's not a mild flavor in any way.

Cocoa: you taste this in Halo's Belgian Cocoa. I usually prefer this to FA's Chocolate. It's a strong one - 2% single-flavor is about too intense for me. It's like dark baking cocoa. I don't like it by itself, but it's my favorite additive for dark chocolate flavor. I usually mix it with sweet flavors, because it isn't sweet on its own.

Cream, Fresh: I don't know if a day has gone by in 6 months that I haven't used this in something. It's just cream - no sweetener, no vanilla. I usually add a drop or up to 2% to various other flavors to make them creamy, produce more vapor, or mellow out too-bold flavors. Of course it's in all my coffee recipes.

Cola: 3% of this with 1.5% Black Cherry makes the best Cherry Coke you'll ever vape. It even tastes carbonated - don't know how that works! It's very clear and vapes clean. I have had it in the same cartomizer for months with no need to clean it.

Peppermint: 3% as a standalone. True pure peppermint (no menthol or other flavors in here), not as sweet as candy canes, a little bit creamy in my opinion. I add Koolada to get a cool hit, about a drop per 2 ml of mix.

Spearmint: 3-4% standalone, True spearmint flavor, a little sweet (not creamy), also needs a little Koolada for me, which then tastes like Wrigley's Spearmint Gum. Mix 1.5% of this, 1.5% of Peppermint, and a little Koolada for perfect Wrigley's Doublemint gum.

Irish Cream: 3% standalone. Excellent in a coffee flavors, of course. This tastes and smells just like the liquor. It's the regular flavor, not mint or chocolate (which you can always add yourself). I add Fresh Cream, just like I do with the real thing.

Jamaican Rum: if you like rum, just get i! Try first around 2-3%. It's the flavor of dark rum. If you don't like rum, get it anyway and send it to me.

Apricot: 3% or so. Just like a fresh, ripe, juicy apricot. Great in bakery recipes, nice in Tiramisu, excellent in mixed-drink flavors and especially with a hint of Brandy. Perfect level of natural sweetness, and one of my favorite fruit flavors from FA or anyone else.

Hazelnut: The single most accurate nut flavor I've ever tried. It's like toasted hazelnuts, not bitter raw ones. Try 1%; it's exceptionally strong. Makes perfect Nutella when you combine with chocolate/cocoa.

Anise: I love it at under 1%. It's pure star anise flavor with the characteristic sweet flavor on the tongue. Flavor does not distort up to at least 5%, but really, try 1% first. Makes a great addition to chai, too.

Vanilla: I use all 3. Classic is sweetest, Bourbon is boldest, Tahiti is a little exotic. I personally like more than 3% on these, but start there anyway, because I'm in the minority on that. I'm not a standalone vanilla person, but I use these in lots of recipes. It's like having 3 different kinds of gourmet vanilla extract. They are not creamy or especially sweet, more like real extract, with no weird flavor notes mixed in. Indispensable in coffees, bakery recipes, candy flavors....

Butterscotch: about 2% for me. This is like that butterscotch syrup you pour over ice cream. Mmmm, sweet and flavorful. I use it much like I use Caramel, but this is a little sharper. If you like any kind of caramel vape, you should get this Butterscotch.

Caramel: 2-5% on this versatile one. I find a use for every caramel I have, and I have a bunch. This one is a bit less sweet than other brands, but still sweet, and one of the most useful. I use it as a sweetener, with choc, coffees, bakery flavors, etc. I think it tastes most like the ice-cream topping. It's not a hard-candy flavor and never tastes burnt or cracker-jacks-like as some others do.

Honey: try at 1%, maybe less. Perfect flavor of somewhat dark honey, very sweet. "Cook" with it :) Nice with vanillas or tea. NOT floral or chemical tasting, though if you use too much, it's grossly sweet.

Kiwi: 3% single flavor is very strong to me, and I can use just 1%. Excellent ripe kiwi flavor anywhere in that range. Mixes with about any other fruit you have.

Cantaloupe: 2% for me. This is pure ripe cantaloupe, none of the 'green rind' flavor I get in other brands. Excellent flavor match.

Black Tea: I use about 2% as a single flavor. It's the best tea flavor I've ever vaped. It's plain black tea, no cream or sweetener, very accurate flavor. It vapes so clean you can run it in an atomizer forever without cleaning. Of course I add honey, cream, raspberry...that's my sweet tooth.

okay, I could go on and on with the ones I like. Here are my worst misses!

Green Tea: Considering how good Black Tea is, you'd think this would be okay - but it's not. Tastes like vaping garden soil, lol. Way too earthy for me, and most reviews seem to agree. (TFA's Green Tea is wayyy better)

Blackberry: single worst flavor I've ever encountered as a vaper. Is that harsh? It stunk like plastic even in the bottle, and it tasted revolting, even at 0.05%. It's supposedly very strong, so I started low. Could have been a "bad batch", but I've seen others say the same. I had to throw out my atomizer after a 2 day alcohol soak didn't get this out.

Oba-Oba: I'm really in the minority here, but I see nothing special about this marshmallow-vanilla flavor. To me, it's bland at anywhere 1-8%. Lots of others say this is an adv for them, I just don't get it.

Orange: To be fair it's tastier than other orange flavors I've tried, but I've never found a plain orange I really like. FA Mandarin is WAY more flavorful and juicy, and I use that one all the time.

Bergamot: I felt adventurous, but this is just vaping aromatherapy liquid. Bergamot is that distinctive sharp, floral orange flavor in Earl Gray tea. A tiny touch is good in anise, but this one mostly gathers dust for me. Maybe I shouldn't be so negative about this one, because it is a perfect match for Bergamot...if you like that stuff.

Hypnotic Myst: I pull this out now and then when I see people raving about how good it is. I don't see anything great about it. I can't place what flavors are in here, and that bugs me. It's definitely NOT the flavor of Hynotica the drink. The name might lead to believe it is. (By the way, TFA's Hpno is a super Hypnotica flavor, grapefruity and delicious, reminds me of Fresca.)

Cappuccino: It's just okay, 3-5%. I love my Starbucks-fancy-coffee flavors, and this is blah to me. It's not the same coffee as the Espresso flavor, it's not the same cream as Fresh Cream, and it isn't very sweet. I make my own capp with other FA flavors, and I prefer it to this. (I have a feeling this Cappuccino flavoring is more Italian-authentic than what I come up with.)

enough for now, I guess..

Reactions: LeeLee26

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Yeah, and it's tricky since I know one works up to 5.7%, but at 5.9% it tastes like burnt coca and then I need to go over 9% for the flavor to change again. The break points are tough to nail down and can change when mixing with other tobacco flavorings.

Would that be Dark Vapure? The smell from the bottle scared me so much I mixed at a tiny fraction of a percent. It just made me wanna heave. I can't get near it, and it sits now triple-bagged in the garage.

I never was a pipe or cigar smoker. Maxx Blend between 1.5% and 2% tasted so much like a cig to me I was afraid it'd lead me to relapse. So I like it, but seldom vape it.

Virginia reminds me of fresh, light pipe tobacco. I think it complements (TFA) RY4 Double, but as a single-flavor at 2%, it was too overwhelmingly Pipe flavored to me.

7 Leaves is light like a cig, and a sweet, high note. It's a similar effect to anise, sweet on the tongue. I think it's pretty good mixed in equal proportions with Virginia, total flavoring under 2%, sometimes a teeny drop of FA Maple Syrup or FA Caramel to add deeper notes.

FA's RY4 is less (deep, rich, gooey) than TFA's RY4 Double, but it's a similar flavor profile to me. Sometimes I prefer this less sweet version, and I use it around 3%. Just for comparison, I use TFA's RY4D at 10-12%.

Now you all know I'm a tobacco vaping wimp :p

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Yep, makes a good cigar base if you get it right. That burnt coca is pretty horrible though.

I had that same experience with DV and it now sits on my shelf collecting dust. I just could not get it right. Tried it at 4% at first and I could'nt get the taste out of my mouth and it was not pleasent. Then tried 1% and still couldn't get behind the flavor. After that I decided it just wasn't my cup of tea and put it away. I can see it making a good cigar flavor if added as a note to a decently strong rustica TA but at what percent. Was thinking maybe make it a 10% concentrate (1 part dv to 9 part PG) and adding that at 3% (.3%) and seeing if that worked.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Danny, if your playing with DV and rustica TA, you'll probably want some Burley or Virginia in there to clip the dark notes. It is a very tricky one to work with and rustica can enhance the dark notes in it. I'd put it in my top 5 most difficult flavorings to work with. I have a few recipes with DV in them and one of them is a favorite of a friend of mine in 'bama. I send him some every now and then and always get a happy phone call soon after it arrives.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Yeah, the first few times it happens to you, you look at the flavoring bottle, your notes, and just wonder what the???? After you get the hang of it, you'll know that someone who always mixes a FA tobacco at x% has a very limited knowledge of what tastes that flavoring is capable of.

Yes, yes, we know you're only the messenger, and it's much better to have your expertise and know rather to 'not know'...but "%@!&#!" :-x once we get 'em nailed down, they're gonna change if we mix 'em with other tobaccos? Big fat whine...WAAAAAH

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Virginia reminds me of fresh, light pipe tobacco. I think it complements (TFA) RY4 Double, but as a single-flavor at 2%, it was too overwhelmingly Pipe flavored to me.

Virginia is one we've been playing with this week - and the difference between 1% and 2% is really crazy. Try it at 1% sometime...you'll swear it couldn't have come out of the same bottle as the 2%.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I started mixing, FA's tobacco flavorings were just about the only thing out there. Since I started mixing to make some great tobacco flavors, I was forced to learn them. I can make some great stuff now, but it involved many experiments that tasted like crap.

I've tried other tobacco flavorings since, but I keep coming back to FA's because I can do so much more with them. There are some other great tobacco flavorings out there that are easier to use, but I like the complexities I can layer in with my FA mixes.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Danny, if your playing with DV and rustica TA, you'll probably want some Burley or Virginia in there to clip the dark notes. It is a very tricky one to work with and rustica can enhance the dark notes in it. I'd put it in my top 5 most difficult flavorings to work with. I have a few recipes with DV in them and one of them is a favorite of a friend of mine in 'bama. I send him some every now and then and always get a happy phone call soon after it arrives.

I haven't broke out the DV yet and was just thinking out loud. I see your point in the virginia being that it is a drier less robust tobacco then rusticia. I think I'll try just the virginia and go from there.

wllmc

Moved On
Oct 29, 2013
colorado springs co
Cream, Fresh: I don't know if a day has gone by in 6 months that I haven't used this in something. It's just cream - no sweetener, no vanilla. I usually add a drop or up to 2% to various other flavors to make them creamy, produce more vapor, or mellow out too-bold flavors. Of course it's in all my coffee recipes.

Jamaican Rum: if you like rum, just get i! Try first around 2-3%. It's the flavor of dark rum. If you don't like rum, get it anyway and send it to me.

glad to hear that about the cream , thats what i was hoping for. and ill take you up on that with the jamacian rum. if for some reason i dont like it its yours. your right next door lol. have a feeling its going to be good from what i read :toast:

downInTn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Tennessee
Coffee Espresso: plain at 2% or as a drop or two added to 5ml of something sweet flavors (for fancy coffee flavor), this is a strong, non-bitter, excellent coffee. Coffees are my #1 vape, and they almost all use this. For fancy coffee flavors, mix everything else first, then add a drop of Espresso at a time. Excellent.

I hope this is the Dark Bean Espresso, as that was the only espresso that I found.

Many thanks for the reviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread