[Q] Observations from my First DIY Juice Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
If you want to prepare several batches of 10ml flavors, I would recommend to first dilute a larger volume of nicotine base in VG solution because greater volumes are easier to collect than small volume especially because of the viscosity of VG, and small error in volume are more forgivable.

Lets say for instance that if you dilute your 36mg/ml stock at 12mg/ml (dilution 36/12=3) in VG, then for 10ml of juice @3mg/ml you need to dilute 12/3=4 times or add 10ml/4=2.5ml of 12mg/ml nicotine solution @12mg/ml and complete to 10ml with VG including the flavor volume added, total of 7.5ml to have 3mg/ml.

If you had to use your 36mg/ml base you would need to dilute 36/3=12 times so for 10ml @3mg/ml, you would need to add 10ml/12=0.83ml of base which is difficult to collect, and with the viscosity of VG, you're more likely to collect more.

So if you want to make 30ml of 12mg/ml nicotine from your base @36mg/ml, dilution=36/12=3,
30ml/3=10 ml of base @36mg/ml + (30ml-10ml)=20ml of pure VG...

I am not to sure this help but... I hope so.

Reactions: Liskrig

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I found it very difficult to accurately measure ingredients with the equipment I had. Especially the VG. The first juice I made was just 10% Ecto Cooler extract. It was a lot stronger than 3mg (but not by much... maybe 4 or 6mg)

1. What would you recommend for drawing up the Nicotine at 100%VG? The plastic pipettes don't work well, and are not accurate at measuring, the 14g syringes aren't marked low enough to get 1.11ml. Should I be using a 1cc syringe? Should I just be pouring it directly into a 5ml graduated cylinder?

I use the plastic pipettes for PG VG and nic.

If yours are similar to mine then all you have to do is to cut the smallest section of the pipette off, makes it much easier. (this should work for all pipettes unless they are uniform thickness all the way to the bulb - unlikely)

Oh, and measure by weight!!!!!!

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
Another vote for getting a scale. The tfa flavours I bought came in squeeze bottles and I bought 2 condiment plastic bottles at the dollar store for my pg n vg, the nicotine I put some from larger bottle into a 50 ml brown glass bottle, I do use a syringe to tranfer the nicotine from brown bottle to mix bottle, but add by weight as I don't want to take a chance of dumping extra nicotine into mix.

Last night I made 2 10 ml bottles with slight differances in flavour %'s as I'm working out a new recipe and with getting supplies from cupboard, mix, cleanup (washout one syringe), return supplies to cupboard was less than 5 minutes.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
So @sketchness, @bace a flunt, @DoubleEwe, and @Fog n Vape convinced me that the scale method is the easiest way to go. I did some research and have THIS ONE in my cart on Amazon along with a 500g weight for calibration. This one reads down to 1/100th of a gram and has a 500g limit. Only $23, and I have Prime also because I'm impatient :D

Reactions: DoubleEwe

Fog n Vape

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Vancouver Island Canada
So @sketchness, @bace a flunt, @DoubleEwe, and @Fog n Vape convinced me that the scale method is the easiest way to go. I did some research and have THIS ONE in my cart on Amazon along with a 500g weight for calibration. This one reads down to 1/100th of a gram and has a 500g limit. Only $23, and I have Prime also because I'm impatient :D

If you find the nicotine in vg is slow to uptake with a syringe then consider warming the nicotine container in a warm water bath, not too hot, or might be easyier to consider putting a small amount, say 10/20 mls, into a 30 ml clean plastic juice bottle and just squeeze it into your mix bottle when weighing. My nicotine is in pg so it uptakes quickly into syringe. You will love mixing with a scale.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
Thank you so much!!! Just put in an order with RTS Vapes and got 20x 50ml bottles for the flavors, and 4 1cc syringes. I also got their "Large Lab Glass Set" because I completely forgot to order order it with my initial purchase and my GF is upset that I used all of our Pyrex measuring cups last night playing "scientist man" :lol:

Only help I can add here, check and calibrate those low beakers....don't trust those for accuracy sake.
My first go around with diy I used the 25ml beaker for making 10ml samples.
When I found recipes that I wanted to mix 30 ml batches I purchased the 50ml beaker.
It was off by 5mls...

I used slivers of black electrical tape to mark mine and they have so far held up to multiple washings.

This is all moot if you go the scale route.
I haven't gone that route yet myself, but it sure sounds like it makes for easy accurate mixing and little to no cleanup.
:toast:

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Only help I can add here, check and calibrate those low beakers....don't trust those for accuracy sake.
My first go around with diy I used the 25ml beaker for making 10ml samples.
When I found recipes that I wanted to mix 30 ml batches I purchased the 50ml beaker.
It was off by 5mls...

I used slivers of black electrical tape to mark mine and they have so far held up to multiple washings.

This is all moot if you go the scale route.
I haven't gone that route yet myself, but it sure sounds like it makes for easy accurate mixing and little to no cleanup.
:toast:

I went and purchased a scale. The beakers, and cylinders will come in handy for larger batches as I grow my talent. Check back a few posts on the scale I bought, $23 and it was recommended highly by several vapers. (Including a couple here from old posts). Thank you for the heads-up though :)

Reactions: Tmebs

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
So I got my scale, and calibrated it, and now I'm just waiting for my Bull City order to come in so I can make my first REAL e-liquid that doesn't make the room spin o_O

I'm thinking of making up a flavor called Nuka-Cola Quantum (@ReigntheGamer will appreciate this) that would be a blue raspberry cola, with maybe a hint of sweet strawberry if the cola and raspberry is too tart. If I can get it to work the way I hope, I will post the recipe in the appropriate sub-forum :D

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
So I got my scale, and calibrated it, and now I'm just waiting for my Bull City order to come in so I can make my first REAL e-liquid that doesn't make the room spin o_O

I'm thinking of making up a flavor called Nuka-Cola Quantum (@ReigntheGamer will appreciate this) that would be a blue raspberry cola, with maybe a hint of sweet strawberry if the cola and raspberry is too tart. If I can get it to work the way I hope, I will post the recipe in the appropriate sub-forum :D

That would be awesome!! If you get it worked out let me know when you post it I have to try it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread