[Q] Observations from my First DIY Juice Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Thanks to all the helpful advice from the DIY members and veterans here, I finally got my DIY equipment yesterday, and started tinkering around. I have some questions for some additional supplies I need that I feel will make the process of mixing a lot more efficient.

I'm looking to make only 10ml batches to start. 70VG, 3MG

My nicotine base is 100%VG and a strength of 3.6% (36mg/ml)

I found it very difficult to accurately measure ingredients with the equipment I had. Especially the VG. The first juice I made was just 10% Ecto Cooler extract. It was a lot stronger than 3mg (but not by much... maybe 4 or 6mg)

1. What would you recommend for drawing up the Nicotine at 100%VG? The plastic pipettes don't work well, and are not accurate at measuring, the 14g syringes aren't marked low enough to get 1.11ml. Should I be using a 1cc syringe? Should I just be pouring it directly into a 5ml graduated cylinder?

2. The flavors I got from RTS Vapes come in glass bottles with screw-tops. Can I safely transfer the flavors to low-density polyethylene (LDPE) 50ml bottles for easier storage and use?

3. I love the Yorker caps... but every place I find them, they never have the accompanying bottles to use them with. Anyone have a good site I can buy BOTH of these (caps and bottles) from? I feel that dispensing the VG would be A LOT easier if I could just squeeze into a graduated cylinder.

Thank you all to helped me with my original order. I'm trying not to get too discouraged with DIY, but I feel like I'm trying to build an engine with a screwdriver, and a pair of pliers as opposed to a whole garage full of tools for the job.

As always, any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks in advance.

Reactions: WoodChucker

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
What would you recommend for drawing up the Nicotine at 100%VG?
1 cc blunt tip syringe without the needle. I have 3cc and 5cc syringes.
Can I safely transfer the flavors to low-density polyethylene (LDPE)
You will have to check and make sure the plastic is compatible with your solutions. Should not be a problem.
Anyone have a good site I can buy BOTH of these (caps and bottles)
re: Squeeze Bottle - Walmart.com

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
1 cc blunt tip syringe without the needle. I have 3cc and 5cc syringes.

You will have to check and make sure the plastic is compatible with your solutions. Should not be a problem.

re: Squeeze Bottle - Walmart.com

Thank you so much!!! Just put in an order with RTS Vapes and got 20x 50ml bottles for the flavors, and 4 1cc syringes. I also got their "Large Lab Glass Set" because I completely forgot to order order it with my initial purchase and my GF is upset that I used all of our Pyrex measuring cups last night playing "scientist man" :lol:

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
The 3 ml syringes I got from MFS are marked in 1/10th ml increments. They work pretty well for my 3 mg mixes.
I use these for my 100 ml batches but they work well for dilution base fluids too.
4oz Natural LDPE (Soft) Boston Round w/ Black Twist Top Cap

Those look nice! I'm going to try the WalMart ones Brother Bob suggested because I am currently using one for Olive Oil when cooking and I like it a lot. Not to mention the price is cheap cheap :p

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
You might try diluting a small amount of your 100mg nic to a lower level to use in the smaller batches. If you knock it down to 30mg strength you can add 1 ml to a 10 ml batch and get our 3 mg juice.

I actually bought 36mg 100%VG. I kinda wish I went with the 100mg now though, the calculations would be a lot easier :)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Use a calculator for the calculations!
I like ejuicemeup - it's a PC program. But there are good Apps, too.
It's helpful to prevent errors - especially if you want to fiddle with tricky stuff, like "what happens to the PG/VG ratio when I change the total flavor percentage?".

I actually bought 36mg 100%VG. I kinda wish I went with the 100mg now though, the calculations would be a lot easier :)

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Use a calculator for the calculations!
I like ejuicemeup - it's a PC program. But there are good Apps, too.
It's helpful to prevent errors - especially if you want to fiddle with tricky stuff, like "what happens to the PG/VG ratio when I change the total flavor percentage?".

I need to get a Windows based PC... Even if it's just a cheap netbook for this app. I've heard nothing but VERY positive things about it.

Reactions: herb

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Ejuicemeup rocks , does everything for you .
Yeah, I used an online based one (steam-something) and I really didn't like it on my mobile. I like how this application lists out drops, and even lets you tweak the drops/ml for even more accuracy. Makes mixing small batches a lot easier than trying to measure 0.8ml lol

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
Yeah, I used an online based one (steam-something) and I really didn't like it on my mobile. I like how this application lists out drops, and even lets you tweak the drops/ml for even more accuracy. Makes mixing small batches a lot easier than trying to measure 0.8ml lol

I found an app to use for now, since my pc is in the shop :facepalm:

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
May I ask what the app is? I have both iOS and Android (another one of my expensive hobbies haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E liquid manager. It's for android. Only downfall is there is...5 flavors or 6 if you count the one for water,etc. I have teamed up two flavors of equal pertcentage before and split it in half for a longer recipe. But it's a good one for an app. You can go to quick recipe for just percentages without having to clock in the names of your flavors if you don't have the time to enter them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread