Quartz as wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Recently at our one quality B&M in the area, an employee was showing me pictures of a build where someone used a piece of quartz as a wick. He said the only downside was that you had to actually wrap around it, as you couldn't build and then wick, for obvious reasons. The write-up said the flavor surpasses any other wicking methods, and you never get a dry hit. It is supposedly has a consistant flavor from drip to dry. I have searched and come up with nothing on this topic. Has anyone seen or heard of this, or had he just happened upon a random post somewhere? I would be curious to try if it something that can be found.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
Here's a pic I found-

LNgUj4F - Imgur.jpg

And another, juiced up:

quartz.2 - Imgur.jpg

Looks very interesting. Must be about the purest tasting juice possible!

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia

garpt01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
South Florida
Great pictures! Thank you!! Now I want to find some and build one just to see! If nothing else, it looks great built like that! :D

Finding the material in that form may be a problem. And I read they should be kiln fired first to prevent and micro glass shards from being inhaled.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Finding the material in that form may be a problem. And I read they should be kiln fired first to prevent and micro glass shards from being inhaled.

Great thoughts! I haven't checked out on Amazon yet, I was still price comparing. I am now looking to see if any have been fired or not. And the pieces come randomly assorted from 3/4" to 1.5" and I was planning on just breaking into the sizes I would need. Never thought of this! Let's keep going. Great thread so far, thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread