Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Well, since different liquids have different weights, that means you have to calculate weight ratio of each specific liquid to get exact ratio.
If you're trying to exactly re-create, mixing by weight, a recipe given in volume, then yes, you will have to convert. But if you're creating or tweaking recipes on your own, "percent by weight" is just as valid as "percent by volume." Weight won't give the same results as volume, but the results it does give are no less valid, just different.

Example:

5ml of PG (5.18g)
5ml of VG (6.305g)
TOTAL: 10ml (11.485g)
PG content "by volume" - 5ml of 10ml total: 50% PG by volume
PG content "by weight" - 5.18g of 11.485g total: approx. 45.1% PG by weight

5g PG (4.826ml)
5g VG (3.965ml)
TOTAL: 10g (8.791ml)
PG content "by volume" - 4.826ml of 8.791ml total: approx. 54.9% PG by volume
PG content "by weight" - 5g of 10g total: 50% PG by weight

So as you can see, a statement like "50% PG" is just as valid for weight as it is for volume, you just have to know which one you're talking about.

(One might argue weight is even more precise than volume, since a single drop weighs in at about .04g, and the scales we use have resolution of .01g. I defy you to get repeatable precision on the order of "accurate to within less than a drop" using syringes.)

Reactions: Woofer

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I like to mix by weight and use e-liquid recipes.xxx Their calculator allows for multiple flavors/

Joe
Question to all - I'm using e-liquid-recipes calculator. Do I need to have "use manufacturer specific gravities" checked or unchecked in preferences? And it seems that way more often than not, the ml and grams listed for a given flavor are the exact same (although notably different on the VG base). Is that normal...?

I have a capable scale, and the idea of just plugging in those weights as displayed by e-liquid-recipes is very enticing.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Question to all - I'm using e-liquid-recipes calculator. Do I need to have "use manufacturer specific gravities" checked or unchecked in preferences? And it seems that way more often than not, the ml and grams listed for a given flavor are the exact same (although notably different on the VG base). Is that normal...?

I have a capable scale, and the idea of just plugging in those weights as displayed by e-liquid-recipes is very enticing.

I'm not sure about that piece of Software. But in Most, if you Uncheck the "use manufacturer specific gravities" that you need to Enter your Own Values.

---

The Reason that you are seeing the ml's and the grams for Flavorings as the same Value is Because for Most Flavorings, 1ml = 1g.

---

Yes... 1ml of Pure VG weighs More than 1g. Or anything else that is used in a Mix. Many people use 1ml of VG = 1.3g

And then use 1ml = 1g for PG, Water and or Alcohol and Flavorings. It just makes looking at a Recipe easier. And since the Numbers in a Recipe are Based on Taste, not Numerical Absolutes, it works well for all but a Few.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
If you're trying to exactly re-create, mixing by weight, a recipe given in volume, then yes, you will have to convert. But if you're creating or tweaking recipes on your own, "percent by weight" is just as valid as "percent by volume." Weight won't give the same results as volume, but the results it does give are no less valid, just different.

Example:

5ml of PG (5.18g)
5ml of VG (6.305g)
TOTAL: 10ml (11.485g)
PG content "by volume" - 5ml of 10ml total: 50% PG by volume
PG content "by weight" - 5.18g of 11.485g total: approx. 45.1% PG by weight

5g PG (4.826ml)
5g VG (3.965ml)
TOTAL: 10g (8.791ml)
PG content "by volume" - 4.826ml of 8.791ml total: approx. 54.9% PG by volume
PG content "by weight" - 5g of 10g total: 50% PG by weight

So as you can see, a statement like "50% PG" is just as valid for weight as it is for volume, you just have to know which one you're talking about.

(One might argue weight is even more precise than volume, since a single drop weighs in at about .04g, and the scales we use have resolution of .01g. I defy you to get repeatable precision on the order of "accurate to within less than a drop" using syringes.)
Like i said, i have tried 2 times, didn't ended up good. Maybe my calculations were wrong (in fact they must have been wrong otherwise i wouldn't pour the liquid down the drain) but i find it much more simple to calculate % in volume then weight :)
One more time, no bashing intended from my side, i was just curious ;)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Like i said, i have tried 2 times, didn't ended up good. Maybe my calculations were wrong (in fact they must have been wrong otherwise i wouldn't pour the liquid down the drain) but i find it much more simple to calculate % in volume then weight :)
One more time, no bashing intended from my side, i was just curious ;)

I would go with what Yields the Best Results.

But if you have a Recipe that you know Tastes good, that is - Not a New recipe, that is in ml's, it Isn't a Big Leap to convert ml's to grams. It's just a Different Unit of Measure.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida

I have measured many many flavors with a very accurate machine and almost all of the flavors I measured were between 1.04 and 1.03 in specific gravity.
A few were very thin, (mostly FW flavors and closer to 1.01-1.02) but they were all, for the most part, close enough to 1.04 to satisfy my very (very very, lol) OCD nature so I plugged that value into all of my flavors in New Calculator to try and I have never looked back.

Just use 1.04 g per ml and you'll be good to go.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
I just started mixing my own & went right to the scale. I don't want to bother with all the additional clean up. I can mix in the bottle if I want & it literally takes a few minutes. This gives me more time for mixing & vaping vs cleaning. I use e-liquid recipes & it converts all the recipes to grams automatically using mfr specific gravities, simple & accurate enough for me.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
I haven't converted mine to specific gravity but I only have a few recipes so far and they have come out fine.

Joe

JuiceCalculator has a setting so that when you add new flavors to your inventory, the grams per ml value can be automatically set to 1.04 as a default, or whatever number you want to use.
You can still change the value manually but this setting alleviates the burden of having to add the value for each new flavor you add to your inventory.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Some one else
I have measured many many flavors with a very accurate machine and almost all of the flavors I measured were between 1.04 and 1.03 in specific gravity.
A few were very thin, (mostly FW flavors and closer to 1.01-1.02) but they were all, for the most part, close enough to 1.04 to satisfy my very (very very, lol) OCD nature so I plugged that value into all of my flavors in New Calculator to try and I have never looked back.

Just use 1.04 g per ml and you'll be good to go.

Yea, I use 1.03. Very close. I usually get about .03g to a drop. So even in a high percentage recipe, how far off can you be? Certainly a lot more accurate than all but the most stringent volumetric device. Also, unless you are converting an existing recipe from ml, it doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent and weighing is the best way that I have found to be consistent.

It really is that simple. I think you are going to like the way it works out for you.

I have said it a bunch of times but I am going to say it again so I can say I said it a hundred time. Measuring by volume is going to go the way of the Evod. Some day in the not to distant future, we are going to be saying " Remember when we all use to use syringes and had all that mess. I can't believe how hard it was before every one switched to weighing"

Yerba

Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Margate, FL
Ok, I'm sold! I'm getting into mix by weight.
Really tired of cleaning syringes.
So what kind of scales you guys recommend?
I know it should read at .01 minimum, capable of reset to 0 after each component is added, and that's all I'm sure so far.
Also, very important at this moment in my life, must be in the up-to-$50 range.
Asking this because there are plenty of brands/specifications/prices out there, very confusing.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Reactions: Tommy-Chi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread