QUESTION: Tips - Advice on new DEAD - HV Atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
QUESTION - TOPIC: Tips, advice to attempt restoring a DEAD ATTY?

Started vaping and experimenting today, my first day with the GGTS. Many here are familiar with it and it seems great so far. I do have a techie question, I found an existing thread about dying attys, somewhere else on this site, but it went off topic quickly and so got no responses. I read a few opinions about the subject, but nothing so far has worked, so it's possible it is just a bad new Atty, and gone for good.

Purchased along with the GGTS, a 901 HV and 801 HV atty for 6 volt vaping. Being a "newbie" and getting my first mod today, I filled my first new "empty" 801 cartridge. I kept adding drops of juice and counted 40 drops from the original supplied 10ml plastic e-juice bottle. I did not know how many "drops" to put in, but I had read how to look for "pooling" at the top of the wick and then stop, but the foam/wick seemed to keep sucking it up, and with a light behind the white plastic part, backlighting it, appeared to keep taking juice and filling up. So I thought, the more it could hold the better. Guess I was wrong, as it worked "vaped" at first and not long after, maybe five minutes or less, it stopped working totally. When working at first, this 801 HV atty made a kind of gurgling - bubbling sound, my very first vape was from a 3.7v. cartomizer, so I just assumed in my first filling of a empty cart, that these sounds were normal, and different then the cartomizer which did NOT have those odd sounds. I stopped all 3.7 volt usage as the batteries were too tight going in the tube, so all I had left was 6 volt vaping and one working HV atty.

Switching to the only HV atty I had left, the 901 HV, I hear a good hissing sound when I press the power button, works fine, but with the "bad" 801 HV atty, NO sound anymore of any kind. I assume I OVER-FILLED the empty cartridge, and flooded the 801 HV atty. I did not think that this alone should kill it forever? Some sources say 20-25 drops should fill an empty 801 cartridge, but I did not know that then.

I began searching to see if there were any "fixes", and then tried one of them. I used a tiny can of compressed air, with the little straw attachment to blow it out from the battery connection side, let it air dry for an hour. FWIW: 3.0 volt batteries x2, are strong as well and the GGTS is working fine. Switching to the 901 HV, works fine, 6 volts. Air can and normal room drying did not work at all, so I thought I would post this here.

Should I try soaking the atty in vodka? Or are there any other tips worth trying? This atty may just be one of those that simply "died", electrically, even though brand new, I don't know if I brought on it's very fast death or not. Of course I can buy more, but hope to learn from my early mistakes. Been vaping the rest of the day with the with the 901 HV. Thanks for any help and tips, I'm at the beginning of the learning curve, other then that, all is well!

jasonfankhauser

Jul 29, 2009
Hello, I just purchased a GGTS and I should get here tomorrow. I am very new to this and I believe from my research I have purchased the right e-cig! I would like to know every thing I need to do to make sure I use my GGTS right and do not burn out my atomizer very fast.

This is the atomizer I bought..
HIGH VOLTAGE chrome DSE801 PENSTYLE high bridge atomizer - Genuine Sailebao (SLB) [/URL]
Suitable for 5/6v mods and they measure 4.4~4.6 Ohms resistance

And these are the batteries..
BATTERY-RCR123A-3.0V Tenergy RCR123A 3.0v 900mAh protected lithium-ion rechargeable batteries (package of two)

If you do not mind can you explain what I need to do to make sure I do not ruin my atomizer fast? I do not understand what "priming my atomizer" means and stuff like that =[

Stormynights

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bristow, Ok.
New Members Forum - E-Cigarette Forum I don't have a lot of time before going to work but you have to keep your atty wet but not flooded. This is something you have to just learn. When you get a burned taste it is dry. I drip. Drop 3 drops directly into atty. When the burned taste starts I drip 3 more drops. It takes practice to get any method down. If someone near you vapes go for a visit. They will help you. Check out the info in the new member section. We will all help you and you will do fine.

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
QUESTION - TOPIC: Tips, advice to attempt restoring a DEAD ATTY?

Started vaping and experimenting today, my first day with the GGTS. Many here are familiar with it and it seems great so far. I do have a techie question, I found an existing thread about dying attys, somewhere else on this site, but it went off topic quickly and so got no responses. I read a few opinions about the subject, but nothing so far has worked, so it's possible it is just a bad new Atty, and gone for good.

Purchased along with the GGTS, a 901 HV and 801 HV atty for 6 volt vaping. Being a "newbie" and getting my first mod today, I filled my first new "empty" 801 cartridge. I kept adding drops of juice and counted 40 drops from the original supplied 10ml plastic e-juice bottle. I did not know how many "drops" to put in, but I had read how to look for "pooling" at the top of the wick and then stop, but the foam/wick seemed to keep sucking it up, and with a light behind the white plastic part, backlighting it, appeared to keep taking juice and filling up. So I thought, the more it could hold the better. Guess I was wrong, as it worked "vaped" at first and not long after, maybe five minutes or less, it stopped working totally. When working at first, this 801 HV atty made a kind of gurgling - bubbling sound, my very first vape was from a 3.7v. cartomizer, so I just assumed in my first filling of a empty cart, that these sounds were normal, and different then the cartomizer which did NOT have those odd sounds. I stopped all 3.7 volt usage as the batteries were too tight going in the tube, so all I had left was 6 volt vaping and one working HV atty.

Switching to the only HV atty I had left, the 901 HV, I hear a good hissing sound when I press the power button, works fine, but with the "bad" 801 HV atty, NO sound anymore of any kind. I assume I OVER-FILLED the empty cartridge, and flooded the 801 HV atty. I did not think that this alone should kill it forever? Some sources say 20-25 drops should fill an empty 801 cartridge, but I did not know that then.

I began searching to see if there were any "fixes", and then tried one of them. I used a tiny can of compressed air, with the little straw attachment to blow it out from the battery connection side, let it air dry for an hour. FWIW: 3.0 volt batteries x2, are strong as well and the GGTS is working fine. Switching to the 901 HV, works fine, 6 volts. Air can and normal room drying did not work at all, so I thought I would post this here.

Should I try soaking the atty in vodka? Or are there any other tips worth trying? This atty may just be one of those that simply "died", electrically, even though brand new, I don't know if I brought on it's very fast death or not. Of course I can buy more, but hope to learn from my early mistakes. Been vaping the rest of the day with the with the 901 HV. Thanks for any help and tips, I'm at the beginning of the learning curve, other then that, all is well!

Just drip 3 or 4 drops on the atty, don't use carts to fill the liquid.
and like Stormy sted: keep it wet.

Vaughanie

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2009
They 801 isn't the best dripper though, so be careful not to over drip - it leaks at the bottom.

I'm having an 801 renaissance at the moment :) The 510 doesn't have enough taste.. laudie, if ONLY the 901 had the same general longevity, I'd be such a happier bunny.

Just ordered BE112 atomisers which some users report last longer and run cooler than other 801s..

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I really don't want to come across as unhelpful but this is the reason why we were telling you to learn to vape on a regular e-cig before stepping right into the mod. There are way too many variables to master to jump into high voltage vaping. The liquid is the hardest thing to master. Using 6v and carts is a big no no. The cart can not supply the atty with enough juice. They barely work with 3.7v vaping. I gave up on those carts about a week into vaping and went to direct dipping only. You get the feel and taste of when to add liquid to the atty. It is just something you have to learn on your own. There is no one best answer to your questions. There are just way too many variables when you are talking about airflow versus battery combinations, juice viscosity type and when you are flooded and need to blow them out. This is the hardest part to learn and the most frustrating. It is just one of those things that you need to master and it took me weeks to get the hang of it before I felt comfortable stepping up to the Prodigy. 6v vaping is hard on atomizers (even HV atties) and if you are not aware of the juice taste, sound, etc.. you WILL blow them. Especially on freshly charged batteries. Lisa said it took her 5 months to get the hang of 6v vaping. Plus CR2 6v vaping is way better than the RCR123. Stick to 3.7v vaping to start off because you will ruin it for yourself if you go straight into 6v vaping for sure.

I hope this doesn't sound discouraging... just trying to help. Keep trying out 3.7v for now and work your way into the higher voltages. Trust me on this. You will save yourself lots of money on atties and also less frustrating in the long run. You will know when the time is right to step up the voltage. You can get 3.7v 16340s and your device will be nice and small.

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
I really don't want to come across as unhelpful but this is the reason why we were telling you to learn to vape on a regular e-cig before stepping right into the mod. There are way too many variables to master to jump into high voltage vaping. The liquid is the hardest thing to master. Using 6v and carts is a big no no. The cart can not supply the atty with enough juice. They barely work with 3.7v vaping. I gave up on those carts about a week into vaping and went to direct dipping only. You get the feel and taste of when to add liquid to the atty. It is just something you have to learn on your own. There is no one best answer to your questions. There are just way too many variables when you are talking about airflow versus battery combinations, juice viscosity type and when you are flooded and need to blow them out. This is the hardest part to learn and the most frustrating. It is just one of those things that you need to master and it took me weeks to get the hang of it before I felt comfortable stepping up to the Prodigy. 6v vaping is hard on atomizers (even HV atties) and if you are not aware of the juice taste, sound, etc.. you WILL blow them. Especially on freshly charged batteries. Lisa said it took her 5 months to get the hang of 6v vaping. Plus CR2 6v vaping is way better than the RCR123. Stick to 3.7v vaping to start off because you will ruin it for yourself if you go straight into 6v vaping for sure.

I hope this doesn't sound discouraging... just trying to help. Keep trying out 3.7v for now and work your way into the higher voltages. Trust me on this. You will save yourself lots of money on atties and also less frustrating in the long run. You will know when the time is right to step up the voltage. You can get 3.7v 16340s and your device will be nice and small.

I couldn't agree more, very well said!!! It also took me three months, now slowly I start to understand it, making my own juices now, with first many failures!!!

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Vapn, I made the perfect cig. No leakage, no learning curve for AFS nothing at all. Please wait to see this miracle. I promice to all GG users that they will be the happiest vapers in the world very soon.

Well the point is to know how to use the perfect e-cig before buying the perfect e-cig. It is pointless if you are not able to use it correctly.

tparganos

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Vapn, I made the perfect cig. No leakage, no learning curve for AFS nothing at all. Please wait to see this miracle. I promice to all GG users that they will be the happiest vapers in the world very soon.
great! I just got my GG Storm and I love it. When you put this new AFS on the market will it be available with 510 atomizers?

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Did you prime the atty's? Put a few drops of liquid in them before you started vaping them? Do you have a multimeter? If you do set it to the ohm scale and put one lead on the threads of the atty and the other on the center pin and see if you read about 4.5ohms.

THANKS, just the info I was looking for, NO resistance at all on the "dead" 801 HV Atty. And I'll admit I did NOT "prime" it. But since the cartridge I had OVER-filled had too much juice, I believe it would have primed it when I inserted the cart, and I got tons of vapor for the first few hits, before it just stopped working. Well knowing it is electrically no longer working saves me from having to try other restoration tips, like soaking, blowing, draining etc.

I still don't know what caused it to suddenly go dead, and may never know, but it was NOT run "dry" at all from the beginning. Again, I may be wrong, but have yet to see anyone report over filling or flooding an Atty being the reason for killing it "electrically". I'll address a few of the other helpful posts separately, THANKS for the diagnosis tip "harpo", spot on!

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
THANKS, just the info I was looking for, NO resistance at all on the "dead" 801 HV Atty. And I'll admit I did NOT "prime" it. But since the cartridge I had OVER-filled had too much juice, I believe it would have primed it when I inserted the cart, and I got tons of vapor for the first few hits, before it just stopped working. Well knowing it is electrically no longer working saves me from having to try other restoration tips, like soaking, blowing, draining etc.

I still don't know what caused it to suddenly go dead, and may never know, but it was NOT run "dry" at all from the beginning. Again, I may be wrong, but have yet to see anyone report over filling or flooding an Atty being the reason for killing it "electrically". I'll address a few of the other helpful posts separately, THANKS for the diagnosis tip "harpo", spot on!

again: don't use cartridges!! just drip and go ;-)

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

Your posts are very helpful, and I don't mind the learning curve. I'm a fast learner. I did not want to start out by "dripping", the cartridges seem convenient. Currently, I only have the ability to do 6v, until I get some new "thinner" 3.7 volt bats, so I'll have to learn now. I'll try "dripping" with my last 901 HV atty. But am still going to try carts when I get 3.7 bats with the standard atty's. Thanks again for all the great advice and opinions, duly noted.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
again: don't use cartridges!! just drip and go ;-)

Can only learn by doing, reading can only get one so far. While many seem to be in the "dripping" camp, many others seem fine with the carts. My plan is to try everything I have bought and see what works for me and what I like. The advice about HV carts and 6 volt vaping I have now noted. Dripping seems a bit more work, especially when one is out and about. Perhaps when Imeo ships his new AFS, much of this will no longer be an issue, but by then I have caught up all all the VARIABLES, since I have most of them to play with. I don't mind loosing a few atty's and carts etc., as I have factored that into my education. Thanks!

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
Can only learn by doing, reading can only get one so far. While many seem to be in the "dripping" camp, many others seem fine with the carts. My plan is to try everything I have bought and see what works for me and what I like. The advice about HV carts and 6 volt vaping I have now noted. Dripping seems a bit more work, especially when one is out and about. Perhaps when Imeo ships his new AFS, much of this will no longer be an issue, but by then I have caught up all all the VARIABLES, since I have most of them to play with. I don't mind loosing a few atty's and carts etc., as I have factored that into my education. Thanks!

I know, still learning...reading this great forum...one learns every vape ;-)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com

I killed 2 atties in 2 mins because I overfluid them to make some leaking tests. Maybe atomizers dont like this configuration:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread