The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Question: why higher wattage?

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by rnln, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rnln

rnln Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    SCal
    Sorry for silly questions. I have not visit this board for months and seem like am completely out of date. I have several variable wattage tube mods and vape at 7w most of the time. On resistance, I usually build it at between 1.4 ohms to 2 ohms.
    Can someone explain to me what do you use higher wattage as 30w-100w for?
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Katdarling

Katdarling Is this a mask, or underwear... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    • Like Like x 2
  3. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    those insanely high watt users are mostly cloud chasing,,trying to make the biggest cloud formation

locally the "ARES" has caught on big time,,it is a 300 watt mod that uses RC car batteries ,

oh yea ,it is as big as a brick too

• Like Like x 1
  4. Katdarling

Katdarling Is this a mask, or underwear... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    300 watts???????????????????????

• Like Like x 1
  5. nevillebartos

nevillebartos Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2015
    Vic, Aus
    Same reason people put rocket engines on cars, more isn't enough, ever.

• Like Like x 1
  6. slappy3139

slappy3139 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    I vape at 40-45 watts on my Reos with several different RDAs, and I am not a cloud chaser. I used to think the same thing, but have found once I transitioned to rebuildable atomizers, that increased coil surface area with bigger wire and increased airflow requires significantly more power than 7 watts to get a satisfying vape.

• Like Like x 1
  7. denali_41

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    YUUP 300 watts !! cost is about buck a watt, not my pic
    some new tank called the "Mega" is sitting on it

[​IMG]

8. rnln

Apr 12, 2013
    SCal
    With my variable wattage tube mods, when I jack it up to 10-12 watts, I can see that it vapes better than 7w, but I can't imagine up to 50w range (or even higher).
    May I ask how long would the 18650 last vaping at 50w or 100w? How about safety issue?
    Thanks

9. slappy3139

Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    My reos are mechanical mods, so my power output is dependent on the resistance of my build, the lower I build my coil in resistance, the more power I will get on a 3.7 volt battery. I use Samsung 25R batteries which have a 20 amp continuous rating. My builds on my rdas are typically .32-.41 ohms, which puts me anywhere from 40-45 watts on a fresh battery. My max current on my lowest ohm build, assuming no voltage drop with a fresh battery is 13 amps, well within the 20 amp limit of my batteries rating.

10. rnln

Apr 12, 2013
    SCal
    Thanks for the info slappy.
    My vamo and svd is a variable wattage tube, meaning it limits the built at higher than 1.3ohms.
    What is the deal with those eleaf box mod with 30w, 50w, 100w? I read and see that it is also a variable wattage device and has all the circuit/battery protection as the old vamo/svd and such. Does it mean the diff is that it allow the built to go sub ohm?
    Thanks.

11. Psofos

Psofos Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2015
    Greece
    I was vaping at 7-10 watts on my mvp2 for 2 months at my start and thought the same. "Who needs 20+ watts?"
    I must say the flavour and the thickness of vapor is 10 times better on my istick 50w with subtank mini now at 22-25 watts,0.5 ohms. Feels smoother to my throat too. I'm sure there's another step up in flavour in the area of 40-75 watts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. spiffy01

spiffy01 Full Member

May 27, 2013
    cape town
    lower ohms need higher watts

lower ohms = better flavor and bigger clouds

13. mcclintock

mcclintock Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2014
    ^^-- backwards

It's a flaw that RDAs usually need more power to do anything worthwhile. Making parts large enough for human hands results in larger chambers and often poor density and flavor with small coils and low power. Of course, if you want high power, no problem, and you need a lot of room because the coils and wicks get big -- sometimes to the point the chamber gets smaller from all that stuff, as well as smaller compared to the vapor amount. There are RDAs that control and limit the air flow better. I get decent flavor at 12W with my Derringer. There are also smaller RDAs but they are usually older designs that are less friendly to use.

Another thing with lung hits is not only does one want more vapor that comes out easier (looser airflow) but for a normal lung hit one wants that larger amount of vapor in a shorter time.

14. slappy3139

Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    For warm dense vapor in larger chamber attys(such as i own) with a loose air draw that I prefer, much more than 12 watts would be needed for me. On my marquis I have to be in the .35 range for the warmth and vapor density I like, my first build in it of .43 just didn't produce warm enough vapor for me. It's a fact that the more airflow you have in an atomizer the more power you will need for warm dense vapor.

15. slappy3139

Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    I don't personally own any of those mods , since I got into bottom feeders such as the reos, I've kinda of lost interest in any device that isn't a squonker. However I do still keep up somewhat with those devices and the isticks do allow for much lower resistance coils, lots of people use those subohm tanks like the kanger subtank mini or aspire Atlantis on them, I think the heads for those tanks are typically .5 ohm heads.

16. slappy3139

Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    I run a subtank mini on my ZNA30 at 24-25 watts, any higher and wicking becomes an issue, at least with my 50/50 ejuice blends.

17. Psofos

Psofos Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2015
    Greece
    Yes i have managed to go up to 35 watts with my mini. No dry hits but too hot vapor. That's the limits of the device imo.

18. denali_41

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    higher watts = more flavor = bigger clouds = burning through a hellauva lot more juice

19. slappy3139

Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
  20. catlady60

catlady60 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2013
    Nazareth, PA
    Jeez, it must take some serious muscle to lift that mod and vape it. :img::glug::glug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.