Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country
Hi friends!
I bought a smok Novo and 35 mg nic salts to get me through the initial quitting smoking struggle. It’s working fine, but it kills my throat. I posted a few days ago and got a lot of suggestions as to how to remedy, but I started thinking, can you use non-nic salts in a smok Novo? Like would a 80vg/20pg 6mg nic juice work in the Smok Novo? Or do I have to use nic salts in it?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Answer....
Yes you can, though 6mg is pretty weak sauce in a low powered MTL device like a SMOK novo. I find nic salts annoying as well. They make me cough and make my lungs feel heavy. Since you don’t know exactly how much nic you need to beat the cigs atm I would suggest buying a bottle of 24mg and a bottle of 0mg in the same flavor and mixing them to taste.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
80vg should work. I use 70/30 vg/pg in my Novo and it works well. Looking at the way it's wicked, it should keep up with 80vg liquids. Now if you start getting dry hits, then you'll know it is too thick.

As for nic salts versus freebase, they react the same way in the device. The main difference is how nic salts get into your system compared to freebase nic. The device just heats the liquid into vapor. It does not care what is in there.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Hi friends!
I bought a Smok Novo and 35 mg nic salts to get me through the initial quitting smoking struggle. It’s working fine, but it kills my throat. I posted a few days ago and got a lot of suggestions as to how to remedy, but I started thinking, can you use non-nic salts in a Smok Novo? Like would a 80vg/20pg 6mg nic juice work in the Smok Novo? Or do I have to use nic salts in it?

What "nic salts" are you using? Brand? Flavor? There's a wide range.

The flavors that I've tried from Mr Salt E don't have much throat hit at all. VapeGod has a throat hit so it probably wouldn't be well suited for you. If you make your own and don't want throat hit, you can buy "smooth" (instead of "hit") nicotine salts from Nicotine River.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Yes you can. I use 6 in my pod system. That high dose stuff made me want to smoke all the more and 3 was not enough so I went to 6 thinking maybe 9 next but 6 has been enough.

Maybe keep a spare pod tank loaded with the heavy duty stuff for emergencies and enjoy vaping the rest of the time with your favorite 6ml sauce.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi friends!
I bought a Smok Novo and 35 mg nic salts to get me through the initial quitting smoking struggle. It’s working fine, but it kills my throat. I posted a few days ago and got a lot of suggestions as to how to remedy, but I started thinking, can you use non-nic salts in a Smok Novo? Like would a 80vg/20pg 6mg nic juice work in the Smok Novo? Or do I have to use nic salts in it?
Might like to read:
Why Your E Juice Tastes Harsh (And How To Fix It...)
The Vaper`s Guide to PG and VG Allergies (and what to do about them)
PG Sensitivity
Resistance is futile. Ohms are not king. Wattage is. : electronic_cigarette
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
How many watts do you vape at?
How to adjust your base to reduce that peppery harsh Nicotine taste | E-Cigarette Forum

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Hi friends!
Other replies here have covered just about everything and I would especially encourage the extra reading that @BrotherBob suggested.

I would only add that if you have very recently given up your throat experience may partly be a response to you stopping smoking. It may change and stop over time. Hope this helps :)

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country
Thank you guys, I’m still here, reading and lurking around. I ordered some new flavors and have been vaping more than smoking.

Hospice reported a decline in my mom, and basically told her to go out and do whatever she wants to do now, and not wait. She’s pretty much freaking out and so am I, at a loss for what to do for her. I wish I had a magic ball to know how much time we have left.

You guys hug your loved ones extra tight, this saying goodbye is no joke.

Sorry for being a downer, just wanted y’all to know I’m still here and haven’t given up.

Much love from Texas

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
To me jtjbe the smoking cessation was like fighting an army all alone. I felt pinned down by the enemy and surrounded by incoming enemy called triggers. Each day as triggers were changed it was like picking off enemy soldiers one at a time.

There were days the incoming army gained ground. Days when I whipped the enemy pretty good and days I just hid out and let life continue. Example would be the day you received the terrible news. It's a day to keep your positive approach to things as you digest the potential future. Not a day to battle an enemy if you don't have it in you. It's a tough battle as your new alternative to smoking becomes normal.

I had the distinct privaledge of being my fathers care taker during his demise. It was a dreadful time at times and rewarding at others. Then one day the Lord called him home. Total shock would not begin to describe the feeling even though the day had been forecast long before that fateful Sunday. It was an experience I would not wish on an enemy but at the same time was so profound that only those like you know the distinction bestowed upon you.

Life after was at times bewildering but having the memories of the good moments made it well worth it. That was 8 years ago next month. None of us are guarenteed our next breath. So live like there is no tomorrow while storing a few acorns just in case there are a whole bunch of tomorrows.

God Bless your mother. And may your days be filled with peace as this journey comes to the conclusion.

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country
To me jtjbe the smoking cessation was like fighting an army all alone. I felt pinned down by the enemy and surrounded by incoming enemy called triggers. Each day as triggers were changed it was like picking off enemy soldiers one at a time.

There were days the incoming army gained ground. Days when I whipped the enemy pretty good and days I just hid out and let life continue. Example would be the day you received the terrible news. It's a day to keep your positive approach to things as you digest the potential future. Not a day to battle an enemy if you don't have it in you. It's a tough battle as your new alternative to smoking becomes normal.

I had the distinct privaledge of being my fathers care taker during his demise. It was a dreadful time at times and rewarding at others. Then one day the Lord called him home. Total shock would not begin to describe the feeling even though the day had been forecast long before that fateful Sunday. It was an experience I would not wish on an enemy but at the same time was so profound that only those like you know the distinction bestowed upon you.

Life after was at times bewildering but having the memories of the good moments made it well worth it. That was 8 years ago next month. None of us are guarenteed our next breath. So live like there is no tomorrow while storing a few acorns just in case there are a whole bunch of tomorrows.

God Bless your mother. And may your days be filled with peace as this journey comes to the conclusion.
One hundred percent agree with all of this.

Your comment about having the distinct privilege of taking care of your dad in his last days really brought tears to my eyes. It really is a high honor to be that person to someone else. Thank you for showing me that perspective. ❤️

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
In my work I meet a lot of people and at times fate puts us back on the same path a few years later.

In early 2018 one such fellow was walking around like a zombie asking "what is the meaning of life after your ill parent you took care of has passed?" It was great being able to tell him about life after. We'd see each other in the morning then go about separate duties. It had been a few months since his dad had succumbed to a battle with cancer.

Soon after life took us on separate paths again. Last time I saw the guy he was smiling and had found a new perspective. It seems he and his wife had dedicated a few years taking care of his ailing father and afterward had trouble adjusting to life after. He said he understood why soldiers returning home had so much trouble at first.

I smiled and told him that he has something in common with a returning soldier. He said "what's that?" My reply was "you're too, are a hero".

Last I heard he had retired and was visiting places in America his pop said he'd always wanted to go but never made it.

After my pop passed away my wife took on the role of dog trainer while my son and I turned my dads garage from a storage shed to an auto shop. My dad had always wanted to store a car in it but never got around to it. So we found a classic car to restore and keep it tucked under a nice cover my dad had bought for 'someday'.

IMG-20190111-200207.jpg

Smoking cigarettes contributed to my dad's demise so when my doctor said I should stop when my heart started acting funky last year I remembered where my pop's issues began at about the age I am now. So I took up vaping back in the summer to slow down and eventually stop smoking.

Hang in there kiddo. We're praying for ya.

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Many of the persons I advised about vaping over the years, were one pack-a-day smokers.

With that level of nicotine in the body, they stabilised with 18 mg/ml, 50/50 PG/VG freebase e-liquid, into a MTL device at around 8 - 12 Watt.

I don't advice to begin the switch with salts, as the same strenght of nicotine in salt forms is adsorbed by the body 3 - 4 times faster, and eliminated with the same faster speed.

It can easily happen with salts, that you feel a very strong hit because of fast speed, while getting general body cravings because the overall level of nicotine is low.

After the first weeks (I needed four weeks) of adaptation and detoxification, when you don't need burning tobacco anymore, you can acquire different devices and e-liquids, to decide if you like classic MTL, if you like large clouds with weak (3 mg) e-liquid, if you like the rollercoasting of nic salts; if you like to vape with tanks, dripper or squonkers, if you enjoy pod systems; then choosing the type of flavours, and if to add the menthol/cooling which many vapers like.

There is a wide and varied array of relatively cheap vaping enjoyments awaiting for you, but you need to get rid of burning tobacco first, and quickly.

Few weeks of determined focus, is all what you need.

Best wishes for your success in quitting smoking from my part!

Anthony

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Just keep vaping and smoke when you need to, this may be one time where trying to go totally smoke free isn't the goal, just adjusting and transitioning slowly.

All my love and thoughts to you and to your mom. I'm quite certain she feels so lucky to have you around, and being there for her last days is a privilege, certainly but also very hard and taxing. Take care of yourself.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: United States

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I'm not 100% but I did read the other day you can sub-ohm nic salts if you want, you just drop the nic content. Based on that, I wouldn't see why you wouldn't be able to put freebase nic in your pod. My understanding is salt vs freebase is the way the body absorbs it.
I sub ohm nic salt all the time. I vape 6mg either way, salt or fb. Doesnt matter. You dont want to sub ohm any higher than 10 or 12mg because of the wattage involved, not whether is salt or freebase

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Many of the persons I advised about vaping over the years, were one pack-a-day smokers.

With that level of nicotine in the body, they stabilised with 18 mg/ml, 50/50 PG/VG freebase e-liquid, into a MTL device at around 8 - 12 Watt.

I don't advice to begin the switch with salts, as the same strenght of nicotine in salt forms is adsorbed by the body 3 - 4 times faster, and eliminated with the same faster speed.

It can easily happen with salts, that you feel a very strong hit because of fast speed, while getting general body cravings because the overall level of nicotine is low.

After the first weeks (I needed four weeks) of adaptation and detoxification, when you don't need burning tobacco anymore, you can acquire different devices and e-liquids, to decide if you like classic MTL, if you like large clouds with weak (3 mg) e-liquid, if you like the rollercoasting of nic salts; if you like to vape with tanks, dripper or squonkers, if you enjoy pod systems; then choosing the type of flavours, and if to add the menthol/cooling which many vapers like.

There is a wide and varied array of relatively cheap vaping enjoyments awaiting for you, but you need to get rid of burning tobacco first, and quickly.

Few weeks of determined focus, is all what you need.

Best wishes for your success in quitting smoking from my part!

Anthony
These onset and breakdown claims are ones I have never heard before. This would effectively mean salts is to nicotine as crack is to ........ Faster processing is a big deal. Where did these numbers come from?

Reactions: stols001

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
The links I have at moment are subscription-only.
You can Google "fat solubility of nicotine salts" as free info keeps adding in continuative.
Basically, a compound which is water-soluble only, spreads at limited speed in the body. This is the case of freebase.

When a compound is fat-soluble, like nic salts are, they spread much faster in the body.

The key point being, a fat soluble compound passes the blood-brain barrier, while water-soluble doesn't not.

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have no idea if that is true or not, but if it is then it sounds like it might be good to mix the two. So if you want 18mg then make your juice with 9mg freebase and 9mg salts. You would get some rapid onset AND some longevity. I have actually been doing this with 6mg (3mg fb, and 3mg salts) but I did it more to reduce TH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread