Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
This was originally addressed to the sticky on PG/VG purity, figured I'd post it here:

I've been reading up on DIY and ordering/dabbling, I have read through your sticky on PG/VG purity and just had a few questions

Here's a pic:

VGfront.jpg

VGback.jpg

This doesn't seem to satisfy the criteria you mentioned, e.g., it doesn't say "glycerin, USP" on the front, but it does say it on the back. So what does that mean? Is this legit?

You also said there is no monograph for vegetable glycerin, USP, so does that mean by adding "vegetable" they can put whatever they want in the bottle if it doesn't say "Glycerin USP" and instead says "Vegetable glycerin USP" instead? I'm confused! :)

I also got some PG from myfreedomesmokes, and it came in a plastic container that says:

Propylene Glycol 99.99% pure

Repackaged from USP/Kosher source

Likewise, is this also legit (assuming I trust the vendor I guess?). Or does repackaging immediately invalidate the "USP?"

Lastly, where do you like to get your VG/PG? The only reason I got these bottles was because I'm still dabbling and didn't want to buy gallons yet lol

thank you so much!

Cyrus

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I get mine at CVS (Glycerin USP) for around 4.00 . As long as it says USP it should be good . Yours says vegetable also which is good . Iv always wondered if the CVS one is vegetable or animal Glycerin but it has been working fine anyway . As for PG i always get it from ecig vendors (usually RTS or Highdesert or xtremvaping ) since i dont have any tractor supplies in NY as well as i hear some people say TS PG is not good . Others say its fine though .

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
I ran out of PG last weekend. On Monday I shot over to Blaine's Farm And Fleet and picked up a gallon. It smells, tastes, and performs exactly like the 120ml, overpriced bottle that I bought from an online ecig material vendor. Doesn't really matter to me what anyone else thinks, as long as I can make my own decision on where to buy from. It's interesting to note that my bottle states 100% propylene glycol. The VG I buy is from Walmart, and I haven't experienced anything different from the first bottle I bought online. I'm quite happy that I can buy this stuff anywhere at anytime and no government is going to tell me that I can't. EVER. They may control nicotine bases in the future, but they'll never be able to stop me from buying everything else.

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
Propylen Glycol - Propylene glycol USP/EP (pharmaceutical grade)

Propylene glycol USP/EP (pharmaceutical grade)

High purity and first class quality

Propylene glycol USP/EP (pharmaceutical grade) is the only grade of propylene glycol used in health-sensitive applications, such as foodstuffs, animal feed, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. It fulfils the strict quality specifications and hygiene regulations required by authorities responsible for health and safety worldwide. These quality requirements are specifically described in the Pharmacopoeias.

Propylene glycol USP/EP (pharmaceutical grade) is used as a non-active, "enabling" agent (excipient)
to carry tastes (flavours) in food and drinks
to make face creams, body lotions, deodorant-sticks, lipsticks and many other cosmetic articles soft, moist and consistent
to stabilise foams in cosmetic and healthcare products
to help pet and livestock feed retain its moisture and taste
to act as a carrier of active ingredients in vaccines, cough relief syrups or gel capsules to help deliver this substances within the body for treatment and prevention of diseases

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Thank you so much for the swift replies guys!

So it seems we're all saying as long as it says USP, we're in the clear

My problem is this would seem to disagree with the PG/VG purity thread, which says the label has to be "product name, USP"

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/52669-pg-vg-labeling-purity-please-read.html

My heritage VG would not seem so satisfy this (see pics above), because it only says USP on the ingredient label. What do you guys think of that?

Humco OTOH, does

Str8ghtV8ping, does your vendor bought PG come in repackaged bottles?

XMit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Midwest
Looks to be re-packaging to me. USP certified and labeling something "USP Grade" are two different things IMO. You can do a lot with labels that is pretty shifty. Look at the misleading labels on food products that is legal. "100% Natural" means nothing on food now a days. By the same token, just because something is labeled as "Produced on an organic farm/facility" does not mean it is certified organic (although organic certification are a whole seperate can of worms). Beef that is labeled "Black Angus" is not really certified Angus grade unless it is stamped C.A.B. for Certified Angus Beef.

Most likely it is fine as it looks to be repackaged USP grade glycerin, whether you trust the manufacturer is up to you. If I understand things correctly the USP certification includes the faclility and packaging so once it is removed from it's original bottle, it is no longer certified USP. One thing to keep in mind though is Glycerol is a humectant, which means it absorbs water. The re-bottling may have introduced more water to the product through environmental exposure.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
What the OP shows is repackaged. The repackaging doesn't meet USP.

They started with USP cert bottles and opened them. Unless the opening and transfer take place under the correct conditions, the label fronts cannot have the USP. Even if you purchased USP, once you open it and draw any out, the remainder is no longer USP.

I have a number of bottles that I repackaged my PG and VG into so I could use it with ease. Technically none of it is USP even though that is what I started with. Each mixer has to find their comfort level and work from there.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
What the OP shows is repackaged. The repackaging doesn't meet USP.

They started with USP cert bottles and opened them. Unless the opening and transfer take place under the correct conditions, the label fronts cannot have the USP. Even if you purchased USP, once you open it and draw any out, the remainder is no longer USP.

I have a number of bottles that I repackaged my PG and VG into so I could use it with ease. Technically none of it is USP even though that is what I started with. Each mixer has to find their comfort level and work from there.

Thanks Hoosier! So I *think* I got it

Repackaged items, no longer technically USP, won't say "product name, USP" but still may be pure assuming packaging was done properly and you trust your vendor

Otherwise, on the FRONT it will say "product name, USP" just like the sticky says :)

So I take it most if not all ecig vendors are selling repacked stuff (my PG for example, 'repackaged from USP/Kosher source 99.99 % pure.' Do any of you experienced mixers trust these sources for their PG?

I'm gonna start using Humco for my VG as its cheap and around the corner, and labeled properly

Have to find a non gallon source for PG :)

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Cyrus Vap, do you have a source for a gallon of PG? I completely trust this bottle that I bought, and so does Hoosier. Just read his other posts on the subject. It's what he buys. Like I said, it's no different. Contrary to some posts from people who say it doesn't taste good, I vaped it straight last night. It vapes good, and is completely tasteless, as it should be. Maybe you even have some people you can share it with. I wish I did. I spent 22 bucks on this bottle, and it's going to last me 10 years. I imagine I'll have to throw it out before that, but it's sure going to cost a lot less than buying a hundred or two milliliter bottles here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread