Question about CVS VG or PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Its G. Glycerin. Vegetable glycerin is specifically glycerin made from vegetable oils. Glycerin can also be made from animal fats, or synthetically. The CVS glycerin is fine, perfectly safe, and may well be VG, but if it is not specified, it could be from animal or synthetic. Technically glycerin is glycerin, but the difference is in that last fraction of a percent, which will depend on the source and method of production. Some people have no problems with it at all. Others, me included, find there are other brands that just taste better, but its a very subtle difference. I personally like Heritage brand VG (Whole Foods). The CVS to me was a touch chemically tasting, but many are perfectly happy with it.

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
IThe CVS to me was a touch chemically tasting, but many are perfectly happy with it.

Glad I wasn't the only one to experience an odd taste with the cvs USP glycerin. For me, it was an underlying plastic taste and scratched that off to a possible bad batch. It stopped my first DIY attempt dead on its tracks.

Got the NOW brand at a health store and that's vapable for me and it has a slight sweetness I heard about re glyerin.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Kurt,

Can you elaborate a bit more on those last percentages of the USP glycerin, I would like to know for my own good what they are and what they stand for so I can decide what I want to purchase for myself. I see some is 99.5 99.6 99.7 99.9 and so on but really would like to know just what all this different production is, I also would like to know which is the sweeter of all the Mixes and where you get your Heritage brand from Thanks Kurt

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Kurt,

Can you elaborate a bit more on those last percentages of the USP glycerin, I would like to know for my own good what they are and what they stand for so I can decide what I want to purchase for myself. I see some is 99.5 99.6 99.7 99.9 and so on but really would like to know just what all this different production is, I also would like to know which is the sweeter of all the Mixes and where you get your Heritage brand from Thanks Kurt

As I said I get the Heritage brand at Whole Foods. The Now brand has been used with good reviews too. I don't know exactly what the trace stuff is from each production method. Depending on the method, temp of reaction, pH, and various other things, there are a number of side products that will come along in the final product. Glycerin is only one product of the hydrolysis reaction of fats and oils, with the other being biofuel, long chain fatty acids for soups and surfactants. There will also be trace water.

The taste of the CVS was plastic-like to me as well. This could be from trace compounds present, or, more likely, it could be from the squeeze bottle they chose to sell it in, from plasticizers. Most of the time, when something tastes like plastic, it is not the plastic itself, but the plasticizers added to the plastic to give a particular flexibility to the container. The price of the CVS and Heritage are about the same in my area, and even a buck or two difference is not an issue to me. Takes me about 6 weeks to use 4 oz.

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
What about PG? I saw some and it wasn't marked USP. I sent an email to the company asking about it and their response was:

"Our Propylene Glycol is 100% Propylene Glycol."

My response to that was - "Okay, thank you, but can you tell me if it's USP Grade."

Haven't heard back yet.

I was just curious more than anything as it's very easy to get USP grade.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
The bottle I got says "Pure Glycerin USP" 99.5% anhydrous

Is this VG, PG or just the wrong one?!

Also are there any flavorings on sale by any vendor?

See this thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/52669-pg-vg-labeling-purity-please-read.html

It will explain everything and it does specifically address the CVS Pure label Glycerin, USP

P.S. USP compendial standard for Glycerin, USP is anhydrous Glycerin 99.5%, it can be higher, but it can't be lower. Anything labeled 100% is suspect as it is impossible to purify anything(even analytical grade used in labs) to 100% purity. The labeling standard is what is important and it is explained in the referenced thread.

Last edited:

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
Anything labeled 100% is suspect as it is impossible to purify anything(even analytical grade used in labs) to 100% purity. The labeling standard is what is important and it is explained in the referenced thread.

Touche. This is what I suspected which is why I asked them again to answer the question directly.

I've also asked them for an MSDS...just because...

Last edited:

MacDiver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2010
Morehead City, NC
FYI

I got my PG at Walgreens on a special order for a pint for $17 and change. It's made by Paddock Labs and says USP on the label. Evidently, PG has a taste, and a smell like the clean smell of a hospital. I had asked around here and other places and most said it was supposed to be tasteless and oderless so I was suspect. I called Paddock and they said to take it back to Wallgreens to send it to them to test. I got a letter from Paddock saying that it was fine so that solved the taste/smell problem for me.

I've seen references here to places like Tractor Supply that have PG for around a gallon or so for around what I paid but I haven't checked that out yet but will when I need to order next. Been to busy lately to check it out.

I get my VG from Walmart. It's Humco brand, 6oz and says Glycerin USP. Cost about 3 bucks and change.

:2c:

Hope this helps

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread