Quick battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
It's actually worse. I read up on the issue @ Wiki to refresh/correct my memory.

tl;dr: within the last 20y, nomenclature changed twice. First, the difference between "batteries" (=group of "primary" cells=non-rechargable) and "akkumulators" (=group of "secondary cells"=rechargable) was disestablished, meaning that akkumulators were now simply called "rechargable batteries", and later on, the differentiation between "batteries" and "cells" fell away.

Today, "battery" and "cell" are used synonymously; which you'll find in these 2 articles:
Primary cell - Wikipedia
Rechargeable battery - Wikipedia
(and in the article which links to both: Electric battery - Wikipedia)

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Please remind,
that in e-cigarettes, we do not use batteries,
but Li-Ion cells!

This is quite a different thing!
Please think it over!
Can you provide one credible link to substantiate your claim that the external batteries we use are cells as you wish to call them or are you ready to admit this is just another one of your troll posts.

My guess is you have a cousin named Ephraim in the states.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We're good as long as we don't resort to definition 4. :)

bat·ter·y
[ˈbadərē]
NOUN
  1. a container consisting of one or more cells, in which chemical energy is converted into electricity and used as a source of power.
    "battery power"
    synonyms: cell · accumulator · power unit
  2. a fortified emplacement for heavy guns.
  3. a set of units of equipment, typically when connected together.
    "a battery of equipment to monitor blood pressure"
    synonyms: array · set · bank · group · row · line · lineup · raft · collection ·
    [more]
  4. law
    the crime or tort of unconsented physical contact with another person, even where the contact is not violent but merely menacing or offensive.See also assault and battery.
    synonyms: violence · assault · mugging · grievous bodily harm · GB

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay so please, putting aside some general LUNACY about what to call your ahem, batteries (I am so confident in that I did not read the definition) you actually are doing some things with your batteries you shouldn't including letting them sit too long, charging cells in an internal fashion (via USB, it wears out your port, can strain the batteries generally and especially in smok mods, well batteries can be charged unevenly or just Something Bad can happen (true of all mods and batteries to various extents, also, to be fair) that you don't want. Get an external charger and learn to love just swapping them out, instead of waiting for the USB charger to do its thing, I mea use it in a pinch, if you have to, but not routinely.

There are plenty of inexpensive chargers that work well, I have a 2 bay nitecore intellecharger and while it's not the swankiest charger of all time, it does the trick. It's been reliable.

You need new authentic batteries (at least two sets so you can swap them out and keep them "married," i.e label them, keep them together have them do everything together.

Get rid of your efests like NOW.

OMG the rest of it has been covered and or if it's not well, here's a few excellent blogs to peruse I you are interested in treating your batteries like the potentially explosive pipe bombs they can turn into if not cared for an chosen appropriately:

Good luck.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blogs/mooch.256958/

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/baditudes-blogs.7609/

They are batteries.
Treat them well, and they will treat you well,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just picked up a g-priv and I put in 2 efest batts that where drained way to empty...

Draining the batteries and leaving them with a low charge for six months probably damaged them. If you ever want to store an 18650, it's best to leave it about 1/2 charged (3.6 v) and check it every few months because the charge will drop over time even if you aren't using it. It's the charge dropping too low that damages the battery.

Efests aren't the best batteries to use since they're rewraps. Mooch, our resident battery guru, maintains a very useful list of recommended batteries. There are a lot of counterfeit batteries around, so Mooch's list also includes some reliable suppliers.

I'd really recommend learning a bit about the batteries we use to vape. There are some great resources on this forum:

I agree with @Hawise . Draining batteries and then leaving them with a low charge for an extended period of time could have damaged them. Batteries like to be stored at around 3.5 volts. Stored at less than 3.0 volts the batteries will naturally drain even lower, even if not in use, and below 2.5 volts damages the batteries internally.

Also agree about the Efests.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Please remind,
    that in e-cigarettes, we do not use batteries,
    but Li-Ion cells!

This is quite a different thing!
    Please think it over!

I’ve thought about stuff like this for decades. You’re just going to have to accept that outside of an engineering environment the VERY commonly used and accepted term “battery” will be used by non-engineering folks to denote a single cell.

Please think it over!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    pBusardo does call him "Battery Mooch". It fits. Sure, a cell is a cell and a collection of cells connected in series or parallel inside a case is a battery, but the vernacular becomes colloquial in a hurry. These days "Hand me that cell" will get you a phone in your hand. ":)

Taste Your Juice | BATTERY MOOCH
    Actually, I’ve changed it to Lithiated Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt Cathode Graphite Anode Cell Mooch

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I’ve thought about stuff like this for decades. You’re just going to have to accept that outside of an engineering environment the VERY commonly used and accepted term “battery” will be used by non-engineering folks to denote a single cell.

Please think it over!

Me, too. My initial two year electronics training occurred in the early 70s. Later on, digital chips arrived and there was a whole new field to conquer and lots more to consider.

It's kind of like the current flow theory. Does current flow from the negative to the positive or positive to the negative? Depends on whether you are an engineer or a technician. Then, they throw a diode into the circuit and the discussion becomes more complicated.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 5, 2013
    Collinsville, OK
    Actually, I’ve changed it to Lithiated Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt Cathode Graphite Anode Cell Mooch

Was gonna send another donation to help with testing, but I couldn't fit that on the memo line of the check so..........................:lol:

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    To the OP, glad your batteries are "fine" and that it was your cord..

They are not actually "fine" until you buy some non rewrapped cells with terrible specs that you probably shouldn't use. I don't think I have ONCE called a set of efests "Some mighty fine batteries."

It's great you found PART of the solution, but continuing to internal charge a set of scary counterfeits in a less than reliable KNOWN vendor offender is not "fine" at all.

Oddly you seemed more interested in the cell/battery argument than the actual SAFTY information that was sprinkled along the way. It's not like I can make you change, although it might be nice if you got a cap that said, "Battery Illiterate" and wore it when vaping while OUT so the rest of us can like stand stand FAR AWAY.

Swear to god, this forum gave me battery paranoia and I did the right thing, made sure MY batteries are fine.

Swear to god, this forum has now given me battery PARANOIA over all the folks who say "My battery is messed up what can I do?" then they get lots of advice they completely ignore and report their issue "solved" in this odd way like OH MY GOSH IT WAS THE CORD I can STILL vape my efests in my smok mod that I charge via USB.

They're not SPOTTABLE there is NOTHING I can do. Well I recognize many smok setups and like I guess I can stand back but

BATTERY PARANOIA I TELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2017
    To the OP, glad your batteries are "fine" and that it was your cord..

They are not actually "fine" until you buy some non rewrapped cells with terrible specs that you probably shouldn't use. I don't think I have ONCE called a set of efests "Some mighty fine batteries."

It's great you found PART of the solution, but continuing to internal charge a set of scary counterfeits in a less than reliable KNOWN vendor offender is not "fine" at all.

Oddly you seemed more interested in the cell/battery argument than the actual SAFTY information that was sprinkled along the way. It's not like I can make you change, although it might be nice if you got a cap that said, "Battery Illiterate" and wore it when vaping while OUT so the rest of us can like stand stand FAR AWAY.

Swear to god, this forum gave me battery paranoia and I did the right thing, made sure MY batteries are fine.

Swear to god, this forum has now given me battery PARANOIA over all the folks who say "My battery is messed up what can I do?" then they get lots of advice they completely ignore and report their issue "solved" in this odd way like OH MY GOSH IT WAS THE CORD I can STILL vape my efests in my smok mod that I charge via USB.

They're not SPOTTABLE there is NOTHING I can do. Well I recognize many smok setups and like I guess I can stand back but

BATTERY PARANOIA I TELL YA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna

I now will only buy Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, model and vendor from the list and nothing but the LIST. For experiment I tested a vendor on eBay and I did get lucky.... Still, the list and nothing but the list.... Beware, I have reason to believe China fakes are becoming nearly undisguisable. Not worth the risk.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I now will only but Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, model and vendor from the list and nothing but the LIST. For experiment I tested a vendor on eBay and I did get lucky.... Still, the list and nothing but the list.... Beware, I have reason to believe China fakes are becoming nearly undisguisable. Not worth the risk.
    Posting this video for those members who aren't aware of the counterfeit battery issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread