Random questions about terms and numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm very curious about what certain terms and numbers mean and how they came to be.
Here's a few that come to mind:
RY4
18650 battery (18 x 65mm?)
510 thread
510 (and 810) drip tip (both the number and the term)
Atomizer (it's not like it actually reduces liquids to atoms)
Delrin
ceramic coil (the heating element, wick or both)
Squonk
OLED screen
Tootle puffer
Steeping (like making tea?)
Velocity deck
Fused clapton, alien, ect.
Resistance wire (what makes it different than other wire?)
PEEK insulator
Terpenes
Coil break-in (not how to, but what does it actually do)
Feel free to answer and/or ask more questions.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I'm very curious about what certain terms and numbers mean and how they came to be.
RY4
Tootle puffer

Welp, I'll jump in for a few of these.

RY4 was the original Ruyan (Chinese) formulation of e-liquid that incorporated three basic component flavors: a tobacco base (usually mild and understated, but occasionally stronger and more upfront), caramel, and vanilla. The "most popular" iteration was the 4th (I presume), ergo RY4.

You're just about there on the 18650 nomenclature for that size battery. The "0" simply means the battery is cylindrical.

Tootle Puffer is an obscure one. ;)

Have fun! (Part 1) Are YOU a Tootle Puffer??

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
RY4
510 thread
Delrin
Squonk
OLED screen
Tootle puffer
Velocity deck
PEEK insulator
Terpenes

Nope. Too much typing and it's late here. Google is your friend. I'll bet you anything that you'll find all those terms well defined and discussed at length, including squonk Just scroll the page down a little.

squonk - Google Search

Or refine your search parameter, i.e. 510 connector e-cigarette.

Have fun and good night! :lol:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'll hit a couple of my favs.
A velocity deck is the two post opposite each other with two holes in each post, open in the middle.
The Velocity RDA is an AWESOME 22mm rda, very adaptable. Many others adopted this style of deck. The chamber and airflow control on a Velocity RDA offer a lot of flexibility, great flavor, and a cloud chucker.
Steeping is when you let your e-liquid sit to develope the flavor, cap on, not to be confused with breathing where you expose it to air for a short time. Steeping allows flavorings and nic to mix completely with the other base ingredients, the flavor can mellow out or change. Creams develope much more flavor after a month steeping. A strong fruit might fade to a nice balance.
Delrin and PEEK are basically types of plastic (I know they are not actual plastic but close enough to me)
Both are heat resistant, delrin low temp for tips and tubes, PEEK is used to separate the positive and negative on an atomizer's deck and is made to withstand high temps.

Last edited:

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Resistance wire (what makes it different than other wire?) = Wire that is produced with a range of resistances, measured in Ohms per cm etc. Can be used for making heating elements, wound resistors etc.

BTW If you go to your own post, highlight and do a search for each one you will have all your answers and more.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
RY4
510 thread
Delrin
Squonk
OLED screen
Tootle puffer
Velocity deck
PEEK insulator
Terpenes

Opinionated's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Read that ^^^ it's a comprehensive dictionary to vaping terminology..

When your done, come back and ask about what's missing.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
RY4 = From the Ruyan Group Limited. Ruyan’s Blend #4 became RY4

18650 = 18mm in diameter. 65mm in length. 0 indicates a round cell.

510 = 10 threads at 0.5mm per thread

510 and 810 drip tips….do not know (hope someone can chime in)

Atomizer = Wiki Atomizer

Ceramic Coil. A coil that employs ceramic. Could be a heating element, or wick

Squonk = don’t know how that name came about. I understand it was first coined here on ECF

OLED = organic light-emitting diode

Tootle Puffer. No idea how the name came about. Describes a MTL vaper.

Steeping = Pretty self explanatory. You steep tea, you steep e-juice

Velocity Deck = A deck that employs 2 posts (others can elaborate)

Fused Clapton = An evolution of the Clapton wire. Fuses multiple cores with a wrap. Alien takes this further by using a wavy wrap, looking like something HG Giger might have created

Resistance Wire = A wire intended for making electrical resistance. There are wires that are too low in resistance to be used for this type of application - especially vaping.

PEEK Insulator = Polyether ether ketone. A thermal Plastic.

Terpenes = Wiki it.

Coil Break in = No idea. I like to get out the horse whip and break in my coils.

I am sure there are errors above. Please correct.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
510 and 810 drip tips….do not know (hope someone can chime in)
510 drip tip - the base of a 510 drip tip is the same diameter as a 510 connector(or close to it). Not sure about 810, no reference point for me.

Interesting fact, all tips were not originally called drip tips. Drip tips came to be so someone using a dripping atomizer, aka. a bridgeless atomizer back in the day, could drip liquid on them without removing the tip.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Claptons are called claptons as AFAIK because of Eric Clapton, a famous singer and guitar player. Metal acoustic guitar strings are made with a core wire wrapped with a smaller gauge wire on the thicker wires. Fused claptons, fusion is two things becoming one, so fused claptons would be two or more cores wrapped, etc. and so on.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Claptons are called claptons as AFAIK because of Eric Clapton, a famous singer and guitar player. Metal acoustic guitar strings are made with a core wire wrapped with a smaller gauge wire on the thicker wires. Fused claptons, fusion is two things becoming one, so fused claptons would be two or more cores wrapped, etc. and so on.

Yes. Figured cause the OP questioned Fused Clapton that he knew what a regular (or better put, Original) Clapton wire was. This was also coined by a ECF member. @AngeNZ – did you not find the original post from that member? It’s Saturday – my ECF searching skills are at rest.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yes. Figured cause the OP questioned Fused Clapton that he knew what a regular (or better put, Original) Clapton wire was. This was also coined by a ECF member. @AngeNZ – did you not find the original post from that member? It’s Saturday – my ECF searching skills are at rest.

Yep here's the original clapton coil creator, a fellow ECFer:
    The Clapton coil

Squonking - another ECfer gets the credit:
    Squonking - Where did that term come from ?

Tootle Puffer - definitely an ECF originated term ;) I think @Bea-FL was the first person to be called one? Please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Steeping: Sounded better than -' Making You Wait Impatiently';)

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Tootle Puffer - definitely an ECF originated term ;) I think @Bea-FL was the first person to be called one? Please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

what's a tootle puffer? Are YOU a Tootle Puffer??

TVU_zps7vhywjsy (1).jpg

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

I shall correct you because I was actually there when the term was coined by our cranky friend @Croak in February 2015. :)

(...) The market is highly suspicious of the one thing left for tight-draw-low-wattage-tootle-puffers that could be a "game changer" and that's better wicking materials. (...)

What did you just call me????????????????????? :facepalm: :lol:

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Steeping - It's not quite like tea because you usually remove the tea leaves before drinking, but that's where the word came from. Juice flavour can change over time. Certain carriers, like alcohol, might evaporate, while flavours mix and combine. Sometimes ejuice is great as soon as it's made, and in other cases it gets better (or worse) after a few days, weeks or months.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread