Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Drop in coil and or blister pack coil and or just coil is confusing.
A coil is a coiled piece of wire nothing more. A coil does not come pre wicked ready to mount & vape.
Almost every vape supplier sells pre made coils for rba use.
Could be a coil of any wire type or any standard to fancy coil type used in an RBA of some sort.

Replaceable atomizer head, used in delivery devices / clearomizers, tanks etc...
A single replaceable unit that is threaded or pushed into the base of a delivery device, a metal body containing coil(s) & wicking material with holes or slots in the body to allow liquid to absorb into the wicking material. Comes ready to prime, thread or push into base & vape.
RAH or head for short.

I cleaned up coils to a degree... but I'll like never stop calling RAH as drop in coils or factory coils... I've been calling them that for too long...

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Had to train myself to start using the term drop in, always called them stock coils. That's what I heard in the shops around here and from a few reviewers.

Stock coils is one. I learned it as factory coils, started using drop-ins when I came here and others were saying that..

I've also heard it called plug and play... that's a good one.. lol

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Had to train myself to start using the term drop in, always called them stock coils. That's what I heard in the shops around here and from a few reviewers.

I call them and juice suppliers an endless drain in the bank account, the vaping equivalent of Ross Perot's giant sucking sound. DIY for both.

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If you had told me 2 years ago my primary attys would be 90% rebuildable I would said you were very optimistic. Swore I'd not take that fork in the road. Only thing I'm not positive is if it's saving me any money yet!

It worked out as a "yet" for me, I am now saving all of that money I started vaping to save.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I cleaned up coils to a degree... but I'll like never stop calling RAH as drop in coils or factory coils... I've been calling them that for too long...

My mistake, I thought you were trying to decrease new members/vapers confusion.

Ive been using & calling them 'heads' since the very first replaceable 'heads' came out.
Drop in / factory made / stock coils sounds like individual coils not a replaceable unit ready to prime & vape.
A coil is a coiled piece of wire, not a finished useable piece, must be mounted, pulsed, strummed, wicked & saturated to be of any use/to produce any vapor.

Happens many times per day, new members section.
Why is my coil reading .5Ω? it is supposed to be .4Ω, in rushes 14 different answers all pertaining to how to build/wrap coils for an RBA.
New member gets more confused from answers, asks another question trying to clarify.
Then gets pounded by ' all factory coils are inconsistent junk ' crowd, ' you'll never get a decent vape from them crowd ', or the ' you must learn to build & use an RBA of some sort to get a decent vape ' crowd.

When the simple answer is, it is normal for a replaceable head resistance to be slightly off compared to what is marked on the box or body, .1Ω is nothing to be concerned about...

Or ask a simple what coils should I use in my x tank, 12 responses giving tutorials on how to build coils for an RBA, when the tank in question doesn't even have an RBA available.
The new member meant which replaceable atomizer head but the confusion created by 'coils' in the question cause new & older members alike to go off on tangents that have nothing to do with the question.
Which only further confuses the new member/vaper.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
It worked out as a "yet" for me, I am now saving all of that money I started vaping to save.
So there is hope! Actually at dinner last night I we were discussing how we had reached a point of satisfaction with our daily gear. I look at my table and am content with the gear I see. My vaping journey has finally reached a stage of relaxation. Just strolling now and enjoying the scenery.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
So there is hope! Actually at dinner last night I we were discussing how we had reached a point of satisfaction with our daily gear. I look at my table and am content with the gear I see. My vaping journey has finally reached a stage of relaxation. Just strolling now and enjoying the scenery.

Periodically, some one that I trust here will recommend something and I try it. But it is nothing like a few years back when I chased every rainbow.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
My mistake, I thought you were trying to decrease new members/vapers confusion.

Ive been using & calling them 'heads' since the very first replaceable 'heads' came out.
Drop in / factory made / stock coils sounds like individual coils not a replaceable unit ready to prime & vape.

Happens many times per day, new members section.
Why is my coil reading .5Ω? it is supposed to be .4Ω, in rushes 14 different answers all pertaining to how to build/wrap coils for an RBA.
New member gets more confused from answers, asks another question trying to clarify.
Then gets pounded by ' all factory coils are inconsistent junk ' crowd, ' you'll never get a decent vape from them crowd ', or the ' you must learn to build & use an RBA of some sort to get a decent vape ' crowd.

When the simple answer is, it is normal for a replaceable head resistance to be slightly off compared to what is marked on the box or body, .1Ω is nothing to be concerned about...

What I'm wanting is for new members to understand what people are saying on these forums.

When a new member is in a thread many people answer questions as if they were talking to a veteran, and even when that doesn't happen a new vaper ought to be able to read a thread and understand what the various posters are talking about.

But if they don't know what the abbreviations mean, or what a phrase means, then that thread or conversation does that person no good.

Yes... it would be wonderful if we all used phrases that were understandable - like replacement atomizer head since that's what's on the packaging, but I'll be honest, I've been vaping nearly four years and these last couple posts are the most I've ever typed replacement atomizer head, to the point I nearly forgot thats their technical term.

I agree with you we should all be more helpful to solving problems on hand though, I also don't agree with telling someone new to vaping that they should build their own coils.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Periodically, some one that I trust here will recommend something and I try it. But it is nothing like a few years back when I chased every rainbow.
Took me over 3 years to get to this point, hoping to stay for awhile. Bought quite a bit of gear this year and started diy. I'm okay with that, my devices are all quality and should last for years. Decided to not take the budget route now that I've learned what I enjoy.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
You have Shake and Vape Flavor Concentrates, but not 'concentrate'.

You don't have 'base'; which I believe is what you put SNVFC's into or with.

Okay, I've added those. Base is your nicotine solution - it's called nic base or just base. it needs diluted with VG or PG. It comes in a variety of strengths, most DIYers buy 100mg/ml and then dilute it out with VG

WHat you put flavor shots into is just unflavored ejuice. It will already be made into the strength you want it to be...

For you it's going to probably be wanting to start with a 70VG / 30 PG blend plus your flavoring concentrates.

For those go to Bull City Flavors, they have everything.

When people post recipes they do so by giving the percentage of each concentrate to use and by what manufacturer...

Use an ejuice calculator...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The FDA made a huge distinction in the Deeming Regulations about "open" and "closed" systems.

Closed Systems - essentially cigalikes and pod mods fit into this category. They are designed to be nearly foolproof and tamper-proof, using disposable propietary cartridge/pod refills for replacement coils and e-liquid. Generally more expensive than open systems in the long run.

Open Systems - juice delivery attachments (clearomizers and RBA's) where the user can manually add replacement coils and add their own DIY or commercially prepared e-liquid themselves. The FDA is extremely concerned that open systems could allow users to add "potentially dangerous" substances to their e-liquid, and thus desires closed systems to be used exclusively.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
The FDA made a huge distinction in the Deeming Regulations about "open" and "closed" systems.

Closed Systems - essentially cigalikes and pod mods fit into this category. They are designed to be nearly foolproof and tamper-proof, using disposable propietary cartridge/pod refills for replacement coils and e-liquid. Generally more expensive than open systems in the long run.

Open Systems - juice delivery attachments (clearomizers and RBA's) where the user can manually add replacement coils and add their own DIY or commercially prepared e-liquid themselves. The FDA is extremely concerned that open systems could allow users to add "potentially dangerous" substances to their e-liquid, and thus desires closed systems to be used exclusively.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

I added a link in the OP to this post... it's very good. Thank you.

HipGnosis

May 15, 2015
Wisc
Okay, I've added those. Base is your nicotine solution - it's called nic base or just base. it needs diluted with VG or PG. It comes in a variety of strengths, most DIYers buy 100mg/ml and then dilute it out with VG

What you put flavor shots into is just unflavored ejuice. It will already be made into the strength you want it to be...
Bull City Flavors seems to contradict this.
The first concentrate I clicked has:
Recommended to start testing at 10% to base and adjust to taste
Or am I misunderstanding something (else)?
HipG

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Bull City Flavors seems to contradict this.
The first concentrate I clicked has:
Or am I misunderstanding something (else)?
HipG
Some brand concentrates are weaker than others. You might start with WF SC tangerine at 3% and Cap sweet tangerine at 8% for example.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium

Closed Systems - essentially cigalikes and pod mods fit into this category. They are designed to be nearly foolproof and tamper-proof, using disposable proprietary cartridge/pod refills for replacement coils and e-liquid. Generally more expensive than open systems in the long run.

Ugh. I hope that's not what they are going with, the danger of adding potentially harmful substances, because that can be done either way just by adding to the liquid. I think they just want more control in general and they are scrambling around for a way to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread