Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    So I’ve read some of the discussions about rayon wicking and I wanna try it. On fasttech they have different diameters of braided wick, is that what I should order?
    I usually build 2.5mm coils, is 2mm rayon the ideal size? Also, why is it braided?
    That is silica wick. Not the same as Rayon (Cellucotton)
    You want this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon-Regular/dp/B00RONH4NW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=836QS5BRNIYY&keywords=cellucotton&qid=1647185795&sprefix=cellucott,aps,154&sr=8-2
    Can also be bought at your local Sally's Beauty Supply.
    Graham Professional CelluCotton Beauty Coil 500 ft. | Perm Rods & Cotton Coils | Sally Beauty

Edit: Not sure if it's available in Switzerland?

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    So I’ve read some of the discussions about rayon wicking and I wanna try it. On Fasttech they have different diameters of braided wick, is that what I should order?
    I usually build 2.5mm coils, is 2mm rayon the ideal size? Also, why is it braided?
    $21.94 (Free or Cheap Shipping) Silica Wick for Rebuildable Atomizers (50M / 164ft) (Wick, 2mm*50m) at m.FastTech.com
    Hi Kurt,
    Ain't no rayon at Fasttech.
    Silica is not the 'droid you are looking for.

PM me your address and I'll send you a meter of this: Cellucotton wick material - Rayon - 1m

Cheers
    I

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    So, what’s the deal with Silica wicking?

Silica wicks were used back in the earlier days of vaping - virtually all factory coil heads had silica wick material, be it rope or otherwise. While some still use it today, in general it fell out of favor when Japanese Organic Cotton and Rayon hit the scene. I get virtually no flavor with a silica wick while others claim it is flavorful. One of the advantages to silica wick is that you can dry burn a coil to clean the coil with the silica wick still in the coil and the silica wick will not burn. You can't do that with any other wicking material vapers use.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    So I’ve read some of the discussions about rayon wicking and I wanna try it. On Fasttech they have different diameters of braided wick, is that what I should order?
    $21.94 (Free or Cheap Shipping) Silica Wick for Rebuildable Atomizers (50M / 164ft) (Wick, 2mm*50m) at m.FastTech.com
    Here's what you want and only $7.99 for 40 feet, I bought the 500 foot box 8 years ago for $13.00 and have used nothing but it to wick all atomizers of mine, after giving about one third of the box to friends to try I still have 2 lifetimes left.

https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Cellucotton-Beauty-Rayon-Regular/dp/B00RONH4NW

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    I guess there is lantern flat braided wick if you're feeling adventurous. It could be woven too tightly, contain undesirable stuff, or even be cotton instead of silica.
    I'm ready for diy on-coil (or in place) ceramic sintering, or just the idea of it maybe sounds neat.
    Hi and welcome,

Cheers
    I

sckirklan

Apr 8, 2022
    US
    That's quite interesting! It reminds me of omegabond 600. I used it to evaluate as a dielectric insulator for resistance wire a while back. It has cost more than I'd have liked and came with some statement about not for export

16496143612616534564871585310607.jpg PXL_20220410_180255136.jpg

Okay, so I'm a dingdong. It shows xc-116-10 on the darn tag. That's a good reason it would remind me...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Izan

pt91

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    AR
    That's quite interesting! It reminds me of omegabond 600. I used it to evaluate as a dielectric insulator for resistance wire a while back. It has cost more than I'd have liked and came with some statement about not for export

View attachment 972611 View attachment 972610

Okay, so I'm a dingdong. It shows xc-116-10 on the darn tag. That's a good reason it would remind me...
    Is RBA supplies still in business? I used their ready wick for squonkers many years ago. I am pretty sure xc-116-10 must be carefully kiln fired to make sure the tiny particles don't harm your lungs. Going by memory here. There were many debates on it's safety.
    To me it really didn't work too well for rtas for several reasons. It isn't a standard coil size and it doesn't really like to be removed and reinserted as the braid comes un braided.
    Also, the size even unbraided doesn't really fit in modern rta channels. You can definitely torch it though.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hi and welcome,

Cheers
    I

Wow... XC-116. Now there's a Blast from the Past.

I knew someone who got some of that Stuff and wouldn't stop Raving about it. So I asked them if they could send me some? Sure enough, about a week later I get a Priority Mail Small Package Box, with Signature Required no less.

Inside was about 97 Packing Peanuts and a Taped Shut Altoids tin. And inside the the Altoids Tin was a Expertly Folded Bindle inside a Mini Zip-Loc Bag. And inside the Bindle, which was inside the Baggie, which was inside the Altoid Tin, which was inside the Priority Mail Box along with the 97 Packing Peanuts was a piece of XC-116 about an Inch Long.

LOL

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread