rebuildable advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kouga

Oct 16, 2019
So, I'm familiar with battery safety, load, amp max for safe use, etc. I also know about ohms law. I'm on a regulated mod with an archon v2 rda and have just wrapped my 3rd set of coils. Three strands of 28ga. Kanthal. Two coils reads on my mod at .12 ohms. What's a good wattage range? I have a dual battery sigeli mod that goes to 200

[Edited]

• Disagree
Reactions: EIHYPI

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Two coils reads on my mod at .12 ohms. What's a good wattage range?

On a regulated device the mass of the coil dictates the power that is needed and the time it takes to heat it up to a workable temperature to vaporize your juice.

Pull up Steam Engineand play with the coil wrapping and wire wizard calculators. That will give you a good idea of what will work best for you.Aim for a satisfying Heat Flux.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you are using a regulated mod, why are you using such a low resistance? You are probably close to the chip's lowest resistance capability range at 0.12 ohms. What is your goal?

Personally, I'd rebuild two more coils with an overall coil resistance of 2.0 ohm or higher. You can always increase the wattage to suit your personal vape preference with a two battery mod.

My typical coil resistance is 0.5 ohm overall (1.0 ohm X2 for dual coils) vaped at 30 watts.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
They were coils that came out when I was practicing wrapping. I'm really just trying to find an easy build to get moderate flavor from.
You don't need to use ultra low resistance coils to get great flavor, especially with a regulated mod.

What did you use prior to using a rebuildable? What coil resistance and at what wattage?

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
An easy beginner safe MTL coil that gives flavour?

Why not start simple - about 6 turns of 28 guage Kanthal wrapped on a 2.5mm mandrel should come about about 1 ohm and is fine from 10 watts onwards.

Once you get those off pat, then you can experiment to your heart's content. Personally that simple set up always worked just fine for me when I built my own.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Kouga - The amount of power required to heat a coil within a usable time is based on the Specific Heat Capacity of the metal and the coil’s mass. Specific Heat Capacity among the popular metals we use for coils is relatively pretty close, so mass becomes the influencing factor. The higher the mass, the more power is required to heat that coil within a usable time. Also the higher the mass, the longer it will retain heat so more time is required to cool that coil. Airflow also becomes an influence on how quickly a coil can heat up. High airflow, low mass = a coil that may not heat up to a desired temperature. And the opposite of low airflow and high mass could equate to an extremely hot vape.

Our challenge is finding the happy medium, and there is no guide for that. Even Steam Engine can not account for variables such as air flow. You have to experiment, gain exposure and discover what you like

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Below 0.12ohm is when you start crossing into dangerous territory, even with a dual 18650 mod. Most likely your topper will just get too hot for comfort and convenience. Exercise caution.

By using 3 strands of 28awg wire in parallel, the OP managed to make a relatively low mass coil that employs a low resistance…assuming 2 coils are used in parallel based on his atomizer.

So would this be any more dangerous than using 24 awg wire of say 5 wraps around a 3mm ID? According to Steam that would equate to roughly 0.3 ohms for 2 coils in a parallel build - 2.5 times the resistance of the OP's setup. It would also equate to roughly 2 times the mass as the OP’s setup which would require 2 times the power to heat to the same temperature within the same duration…sans any influence airflow may have. If we are to gauge heat and power as a factor of risk, which coil(s) would assume more risk?

I do not see 0.12 ohms as any more risk than a higher resistance coil(s). The coils resistance MUST fall within the acceptable range of the device, otherwise it will not fire. With a regulated device, all resistance is susceptible to device failure – how the device fails will determine the risk.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm using 3 core 28/40 fused claptons in my parallel mech squonker (w/ two 30a batteries) coming out at .14 ohms. Works great. If I were using a regulated mod I would start out around 50-60w and slowly work up by 2-5w at a time until you find your own personal sweet spot.

Edit- and I should add, I don't get any excessive mod heat, battery heat or atty heat from this set up. The atty actually runs cooler than my .3 ohm build I have on one of my single battery mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Three strands of 28ga. Kanthal. Two coils reads on my mod at .12 ohms.
You should tell us more about the geometry of these coils. Three strands parallel? Three strands twisted? This makes a big difference in terms of effective/exposed surface area, and Steam Engine gets that wrong for twisted coils. Diameter? Number of wraps?

• Useful
Reactions: Opinionated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread