Rectangle wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianc11111

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
cincinnati
I use 22ga Kanthal or Nichrome 80 depending on the rda and regulated or mech, and hammer it flat. Usually I stay 4.3-4.96mm id. Flatwire or rectangle wire has less ramp up time, great flavor and more surface area ratio to resistance value.It also creates less airflow turbulence resulting in a cooler vape. It is ideal for mech mods and single coils for sure. If you care to. there is a youtuber that has done lots of research on flatwire and also has very good theories on airflow. His name is Morten Oen and that is the channel name also.

brianc11111

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
cincinnati
Been using flatwire coils exclusively for about 4-6 weeks now. Decided to put a tri-core fused clapton (28x3 wrapped with 40ga) in a Haku. Weaksauce! Flatwire has spoiled me. Vapor seemed weak, not as satisfying.
My homemade Daedalus will collect dust now. Once you give Flatwire a chance, you're done with the round stuff.

brianc11111

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
cincinnati
i generally do 4.36-4.76mm(3/16-11/64 drillbit) builds w/22ga kanthal about 4-5 wraps. Youv'e got to hammer it thin enough..... To keep the wraps from getting real springy, I use a pencil torch and torch it on the drillbit. I use locking hemostats to hold leads while torching and also leave drillbit in vise helps. But yes Letitia, there is a learning curve. My first few were not very stellar. I feel your pain.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
i generally do 4.36-4.76mm(3/16-11/64 drillbit) builds w/22ga kanthal about 4-5 wraps. Youv'e got to hammer it thin enough..... To keep the wraps from getting real springy, I use a pencil torch and torch it on the drillbit. I use locking hemostats to hold leads while torching and also leave drillbit in vise helps. But yes Letitia, there is a learning curve. My first few were not very stellar. I feel your pain.
lol I don't get along with tools and will probably never hammer wire. I can barley manage my grub tools. Bought a pair of twisting wire pliers, hilarity ensued. I bought some ss 316l rectangular wire from Kbee. I'll get bored someday and give it another go, maybe in the Drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread