Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
I'm a new member, so this is my first post.

Perhaps I am swimming against the tide. I started with cartomizers on a KR808D-1. Great! Until I began to try to refill them. Some were standards, and some were premium cartos. That's when my opinion began to shift. I read up in the forums on the CCFM method. I read also how to remove the mouthpiece caps and clean them. I even saw posts on just dripping very slowly through the battery end and waiting for each drop to go in.

My first effort – the CCFM. Some carts, fine! But some just would not uptake much liquid, and despite being careful, liquid would dribble out of the cart cap instead of going into the cartomizer! Hmm. So I checked those carts, and sure enough, they were partly blocked, even though used but once.

So, next step! I tried to pop the caps off of the mouthpiece. Soft cap – easy. Hard cap – I destroyed two of them, and wound up with three more usable but I would not want to subject them to much handling. Then I boiled and cleaned and dried them. Some cartos were still hard to draw, though a few got better. So I poked a straightened paperclip carefully through, wiggled it, and tested the draw. Like trying to suck a bowling ball through a straw!

Now I have switched to atty/cartridge types. Easy to fill. And if I have to carry four cartridges with me instead of two cartomizers – no problem!

So here's a vote for the three piece.
Mega attys and mega cartridges = contentment!

ella

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I'm a new member, so this is my first post.

Perhaps I am swimming against the tide. I started with cartomizers on a KR808D-1. Great! Until I began to try to refill them. Some were standards, and some were premium cartos. That's when my opinion began to shift. I read up in the forums on the CCFM method. I read also how to remove the mouthpiece caps and clean them. I even saw posts on just dripping very slowly through the battery end and waiting for each drop to go in.

My first effort – the CCFM. Some carts, fine! But some just would not uptake much liquid, and despite being careful, liquid would dribble out of the cart cap instead of going into the cartomizer! Hmm. So I checked those carts, and sure enough, they were partly blocked, even though used but once.

So, next step! I tried to pop the caps off of the mouthpiece. Soft cap – easy. Hard cap – I destroyed two of them, and wound up with three more usable but I would not want to subject them to much handling. Then I boiled and cleaned and dried them. Some cartos were still hard to draw, though a few got better. So I poked a straightened paperclip carefully through, wiggled it, and tested the draw. Like trying to suck a bowling ball through a straw!

Now I have switched to atty/cartridge types. Easy to fill. And if I have to carry four cartridges with me instead of two cartomizers – no problem!

So here's a vote for the three piece.
Mega attys and mega cartridges = contentment!

I realize Buzzy that you're now going with the 3-pc but I thought I'd add that the Taryn Spin is crucial IMO to refilling cartos. Don't know if you've tried it so I'll post a link to a video demonstrating this method:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...om-filling-method-taryn-spin.html#post1080229

ScatRD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2010
Austin
Oh I see, but how long will it take for you to throw out the carto? I guess I'll get one to try it out. I've heard that they have a shorter lifespan compared to the attys for the e-cig

I'm not sure yet, I haven't been using them that long yet but from what I've read they can last from a few weeks to months with proper care and feeding.

ella

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Any carto refill method that requires learning a new dance step is not for me......just kidding, I couldn't resist.

It goes sorta like this :lol::

Twirl.gif

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
The difference with carts and cartomizers is in the refilling. If you over fill a cart you suck in the eliquid for one pull and blow it out and your all set. With a cartomizer, you're stuck for quite a while. Many times with a cartomizer you get a hard draw, that could bge frustrating. If you are away from home and can't take the tome to spin the excess juice out you end up drinking your eliquid. I prefer the carts.

Twist

Sep 14, 2010
Idaho
I started with cartos on a kr808. They worked well and were easy to refill but they had a burning problem.

Switched to a 510 and kept using cartos. Since I have started ordering Boge cartos I haven't had any problems, including burning or DOAs.

I've also picked up several different attys since I switched to my 510s and have only tried dripping so far, no cart mods. I like the flavor and warmth from dripping when it gets off right. I'm still a nub at it, but don't like the hassle of flooding, juice leaking at the connector, and absolutely hate the taste of dry burn.

My cartos last me a week before I toss em in this box I have here of ones I'll clean eventually. Not in a rush since a $2 carto and $10 worth of juice isn't breaking the bank right now. I think they would last longer with another juice. I vape FSUSA Wyatt Earp all day. When the juice that drips out of it starts coming out black instead of brown the carto will soon lose flavor. I'm pretty sure that when I clean the dirty ones they'll be good for another round.

I personally think the best way to keep a carto alive and tasty for awhile is to keep them pretty wet. When I'm at home I top off frequently with 5-6 drops on the filler. When I take them out of the house I usually only vape on it enough to take 10-12 drops to refill.

I think dripping wins on flavor and TH when it's right, but cartos are orders of magnitude easier to get right. They both take experience to learn how to use effectively but cartomizers are a lot more forgiving. I'm sure if I kept at it I'd be able to drip successfully more often with less flooding, and being able to recognize when to top off before it's dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread