Regular Atty Drippers (A Dying Breed?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
Thanks to mr Mann I will soon be a dripper. ::vape::

Ferrel1134, I feel like you got lost in the middle of the technical stuff. You didn't say what setup you have, so I will guess that you have something with 510 threading. All you need, to start and practice, is a simple 510 atomizer and a 510 drip tip.

If your battery is not sealed, and you're on a budget like mine, then put a couple of drops onto the atomizer's bridge before adding the drip tip. If you are starting with a dry atomizer and an unsealed battery then you could try 3 or 4 drops before putting the atomizer onto the battery. I pre-soak the ones from the ProSmoke right in the old cartridges, cleaned of course. Then change the cart for a homemade mouthpiece and vape until the steam goes down, then add 2 drops and start over.

Of course, the most satisfying for me is to drop liquid into the drip tip using a sealed battery. Very relaxing, and I get to look at my goodies.

As for cleaning the atomizer, I use 100 Proof Vodka in a small pill bottle. After I blow it out I turn it around and inhale until the "vodka chill" is gone *and* I have no smell/taste hint left. Then I use re-wet and use it right away. I have no patience for drying time, and my atty's last pretty freakin' long. Of course, now that I said it, they all will die overnight.
:p

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
Not only do I drip, I only drip with autos. Though I do use CE4's on occasion right now I primarily use an eGo-C with a modified base and adapter, an Echo carto with the filler removed and a J108, which is like a 306 but with a higher bridge and a lighter draw.

Dripping on my Sidesho was the only thing to keep me from craving cigarettes completely, and that was after 6 months of vaping. I will always drip. :)

Though I am eyeing that eRoll for work.

Hey, I remember you from the eRoll threads, yes? I've been eyeing that setup myself. I miss the cig-alike for gardening.

So how careful do you have to be with the auto's and dripping? Those batts are unsealed, yes? The one time I knew I'd gotten a drop into the battery I used a toothpick and very gently held it in the hole until it soaked up the fluid.

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
I'm dripping right now. And I'm a pretty new vaper, so maybe it isn't a dying breed, just a rarer group!

Hi obsidianchao. Anyone call you obs? I have to leave the computer for a while, but I'd love to know what your setup is like. Mine is simple, mostly eGo-styles and cig-alikes, but I'm going to have to step up a notch if I'm going to have a fancier atomizer. Ohms, ya know.

:)

chrisrook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2013
Bradenton
Going back to cleaning, I can't remember the vendor, but I saw a syringe set that you can use to clean out an atty. It's essentially a syringe with a 510 connector or something. You put the atty on the syringe, put the end into a cup/bowl of water, and pull out. The water goes through the openings drawing the juice out. Remove syringe, dry as you like, install, prep, vape. Seemed pretty cool and easy. Think I might find it to give it a shot.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
IMG_1051.jpg GG with SR joytech atty with 60/40 juice

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Hey, I remember you from the eRoll threads, yes? I've been eyeing that setup myself. I miss the cig-alike for gardening.

So how careful do you have to be with the auto's and dripping? Those batts are unsealed, yes? The one time I knew I'd gotten a drop into the battery I used a toothpick and very gently held it in the hole until it soaked up the fluid.
Yeah, I popped into the eRoll thread once or twice. I think I've even worked out how to drip with it, but I'd have to get my hands on one first to see if I'm right. :)

You do have to be careful with the autos. I've killed 2 of my Sidesho batteries by over-dripping. But I get a more fulfilling experience with the autos over the manuals, and I've gotten pretty good at minimizing leaks by now.

Moueix

Moved On
Aug 20, 2012
Michigan and Iowa
Hey there Mr. Mann,

As you know, after my intial entry into vaping with Volts, then my "graduation" to Ego's and Vivi's (which lasted about two weeks, blech!) I've been solely dripping. Love my Cisco 306's (au naturale or in my Vela Latina tank) and HH357's. Unfortunately, my job often takes me on 14 hour road trips and dripping is tough, even when I'm riding shotgun. Between the dark and the bouncing, it gets tough to see if I'm hitting the tube, or how many drops I've dripped.

The Latina was a cure except I kept breaking pyrex, but now I've gone and purchased an Ithaka, and I'm REALLY liking that for on the road. There's a boatload of ways to set it up, but I'm currently enjoying it with a single 1.7ohm coil around dual wicks. The Latina IS pure dripping, but the Ithaka comes very very close in flavor and the adjustable air flow really lets me tighten my draws where it is identical to an atty. Vaping 4 ml of the same flavor though, for a compulsive flavor change dripper like me, takes a little getting used to. That's still the main reason why I'll probably never give up my atty's.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
Newbie Alert! I have not even purchased my first set up yet. However, I am very interested in this topic. As a newbie, I do not even want to think about RBAs for now. But, I want to be able to enjoy the best vape possible.

I will be purchasing a ego twist or vision spinner soon. So, I will probably need to stay with SR attys.

I have read much about leaking attys and other problems. I would like to hear a few suggestions for a "bullet proof and simple" dripping set up. I know that drip shields help prevent leaks but, I do not know which attys need them.

Any help is appreciated.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I use a 5 volt non battery 808D manual passthru for dripping a 901 atty from nHaler and a 901 atty from Vapor Kings. I like it so much i picked up a 5 volt GLV-2 off the classifieds ( had an actual good price with some extras at a better price.... I love hate the classies) 5 volts tends to deliver the "goods". I have several attomizers i drip because i like to try many things. I forget their names and whereI got them, a lot of them. There was 1.5 ohm Stinger. The HH 5?? Made in USA, the one with three large holes on a round bridge, the filler and mesh free one, the Vapage hybrid, 306s. I used to Pyrex tank / carto vape all the time. Said id never bother with a drippng. Well. I do pretty much everything now and it all has a place. I guess i need variety. Isnt bottom feeding the same as dripping BTW? Because I do that too.
In the end the winner is the 901 atties but second i like Joytech 510. The HH one is too expensive to repeat and its a little weird.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I use a 5 volt non battery 808D manual passthru for dripping a 901 atty from nHaler and a 901 atty from Vapor Kings. I like it so much i picked up a 5 volt GLV-2 off the classifieds ( had an actual good price with some extras at a better price.... I love hate the classies) 5 volts tends to deliver the "goods". I have several attomizers i drip because i like to try many things. I forget their names and whereI got them, a lot of them. There was 1.5 ohm Stinger. The HH 5?? Made in USA, the one with three large holes on a round bridge, the filler and mesh free one, the Vapage hybrid, 306s. I used to Pyrex tank / carto vape all the time. Said id never bother with a drippng. Well. I do pretty much everything now and it all has a place. I guess i need variety. Isnt bottom feeding the same as dripping BTW? Because I do that too.
In the end the winner is the 901 atties but second i like Joytech 510. The HH one is too expensive to repeat and its a little weird.

Nice score on the GLV! I have hung out with Jay a couple times at his store--between him and Ahlusion, I am satisfied with the limitations of Michigan an ecigs (though I can't forget about Kalamazoo Vapor). Yep, bottom feeding is just dripping in reverse. I always felt that 901s gave the best flavor I've tried, but lack any real TH, so my compromise is 510s. The best TH to me is 306s.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Newbie Alert! I have not even purchased my first set up yet. However, I am very interested in this topic. As a newbie, I do not even want to think about RBAs for now. But, I want to be able to enjoy the best vape possible.

I will be purchasing a ego twist or vision spinner soon. So, I will probably need to stay with SR attys.

I have read much about leaking attys and other problems. I would like to hear a few suggestions for a "bullet proof and simple" dripping set up. I know that drip shields help prevent leaks but, I do not know which attys need them.

Any help is appreciated.

With the Twist you'll be able to adjust the power, so anything from 1.5 ohms to 2.5 ohms will be just fine. In very general terms SR will be above 2.2 ohms and LR will be between 1.5 to 2.0 ohms. So basically, anything except the rarer HR atties will be fine.

You'll have a 510 connection which means a 510 or 306 atty will fit as is, and a 901 atty will need a 510-901 adaptor. Out of the 3 I would suggest a 510 as the best first atty to learn on. People have different opinions on how importan a drip shield is, but my opinion is the first one I bought was the best $13 I had spent on vaping. If you over-drip, any atty will leak, and some just leak easier than others. Drip shields make any leaking a non-issue. They are made specifically to fit the 901 atty, so if you get a 510 a simple 510-510 adapter will extend the length a little so it fits.

So my advice would be to go to EmpireMods and pick up a 510 atty, 510-510 adaptor, and a drip shield that you like the looks of best. Stay away from their cheaper imported shields, they just don't fit well. You'll also need a drip tip, just pick one that you like the looks of and that you think would be the most comfortable to vape from. Drip tips are cheap, so try a couple different materials to find your preference of plastic, metal, or ceramic. I personally love the look and feel of ceramic DTs.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Dahomey

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
I've never understood how people who used to flick lighters all day think that dripping is too much work for them. :confused:

Technically, I'm not allowed in this thread, but I had to get that one off my chest. I've been a dripper since day one, and up until a couple months ago, dripped standard Joye 510 bridged at 5v. Would go back in a heartbeat if my current vape stops working for me.

Edit: as if priming cartos, filling tanks, carrying duffle bags of gear and wiping up puddles of juice isn't a lot of work. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Oh oh. I see Mr.Mann, you live in MI. It never registered! Or it did, somewhere!
I only set up a pyrex tank and carto like once every two weeks anymore lately! Ill go back...just other new toys have my attention and i honestly quit wasting my WTA in them. I have about 75 cartomizers...maybe more.... Standard and XL. Im wondering if the coils will rust hanging out in the Willamette Valley rainy Oregon area for long. Should I buy some silica gel and seal them in with it....they'regoing o be hanging around a LOOONG TIME. Oh oops, dripping atties, i store them in ziplocks after opening and using. I read not yo let them dry out so i let juice stay in them but when i drag a used one back out I drip it and blow it out and drip to vape...kind of vape it off...then ill allow some inhaling. Actually ive been puffing about half the time rather than inhaling every hit.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Oh oops, dripping atties, i store them in ziplocks after opening and using. I read not yo let them dry out so i let juice stay in them but when i drag a used one back out I drip it and blow it out and drip to vape

Another thing that works great to keep them from drying out is carto condoms. Yes carto condoms, the things that have 101 uses. After cleaning an atty I fill it with vg and put one on each end.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Thank you Jerms.

A 510 atty (1.5 to 2.5 ohms) with 510 to 510 adaptor and a drip shield.

With this info, I feel more confident in ordering my first dripping atty set up.

Make sure the holes of the drip shield are up toward the drip tip. It should be more self explanatory when you get going, but it is simple and effective.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Make sure the holes of the drip shield are up toward the drip tip. It should be more self explanatory when you get going, but it is simple and effective.

Yep, one of the few things ecig related that happens to fit upside down, everything else is dummy proof lol.

Another thing I like about the shield is it tightens up draws that are way too airy. The EM shields I have don't have much of an effect on most atties, but if you find it tightens up the draw too much you can use a pin to make the air-holes bigger. Or if you want the draw even tighter you can cover one of the 2 holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread