Reliable sub $60 VW mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggy

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2013
New York
Sometime in the near future I will be looking for a new VW mod. So far I've tried a Vamo rev.2, and 2 innokin SVD's with no luck. The vamo never worked well on single battery operation. The SVD's were both fussy. The first SVD would spontaneously shut off while vaping with any delivery that was in the 1.4-2.1 ohm range, while my new SVD just loves to misfire.
Anyone who's had a VW that's reliable and has lasted more than 6 months (or at least feels like it would), I'd love to hear from you. Thanks

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I've had a SID for just over 3 months it has been working perfectly. It fires every time and is easy to set. The threads on the battery cap were crunchy but a little Noalox took care of that.

The battery tube is snug but Efest IMR18650 will fit, I have one that will take it's time sliding out but I could remove the control head and push it out if I had too.

I paid $54.99 at Mister-e-liquid, I don't know what they would charge for shipping because I bought mine at their B&M.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
3 for 3 sounds Bad. Are you rough on your gear?
Have a Vamo, original from first release. Still works like new. Good basic vw device in 18650 mod with standard Tank/clearo
Kicks out well in Dual 18350 mode for RSST and AGA-T

Young June Lava Tube - Cheaply built, week 510(aluminum) connection. 1 yr old and works good.
(2) eVic's no problems

I tend to haul my APV's everywhere and constantly knock them over.

Under $60 is going to keep you in the same category of devices so I'd consider use and or Saving for higher end.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
my vamo v2 went kaput after 8 mos of moderate use and very few if any drops, just a few table knock-overs. i liked it but im done with vw mods. ive got my provari for vv, and my mechs- most of which i can kick if i want VW. also had a vv box mod crap out on me after a year and a half, which was an outstanding vape rivaling the provari, but alas it is no more.
vv on the fly with a display is quite nice. dont get me wrong thats really handy to have in a mod, but its just a tease as its bound to crap out eventually. i dont trust any vv/vw device in the long run except from provape or evolv. the kicks are cheap enough to replace if they ever belly-up on me and the provari is fully serviceable if anything ever goes wrong.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Provari.

All of the chinese options are just that. Chinese. Cheaply and quickly made by the lowest bidder. And though some people might be able to say their vamo lasted them years, or their SiD never broke and worked great, there is far more owners of those devices who have had countless issues and breakdowns, that are only solved by buying another one.

Now luckily, after the first one, you already have the charger, batteries, and any delivery devices. each time one breaks, its the the tube your buying. Not too bad.

OR, you could cut your losses now, and buy a Provari. 2 SVDs and a Vamo is already covering the cost. And the Provari doesnt break, it isnt made cheaply by the lowest bidder, and its backed up by an AMERICAN company, with a reputation for quality service and support.

josho

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 27, 2012
    CA
    Provari.

All of the chinese options are just that. Chinese. Cheaply and quickly made by the lowest bidder. And though some people might be able to say their vamo lasted them years, or their SiD never broke and worked great, there is far more owners of those devices who have had countless issues and breakdowns, that are only solved by buying another one.

Now luckily, after the first one, you already have the charger, batteries, and any delivery devices. each time one breaks, its the the tube your buying. Not too bad.

OR, you could cut your losses now, and buy a Provari. 2 SVDs and a Vamo is already covering the cost. And the Provari doesnt break, it isnt made cheaply by the lowest bidder, and its backed up by an AMERICAN company, with a reputation for quality service and support.

Not that I'm against the Provari, but one of the criteria was sub-$60. Find me a $60 provari or go away.

Jmjax13

Verified Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Hastings, MN
    I have nothing against Provari I just think the price is slightly inflated due to hype. I am not saying they are not a well made American product, but 17 bucks more just for an 18650 end cap...really... Or charging 20 bucks more for any color other than grey... That's just silly. Everything thing with a Provari has additional cost. That kind of annoys me. With that being said I will probably own a white Provari sooner than later. Sooner if they offered VW. I know its a bit over your range, but Lavatube has come out with their new V2.5 and with the coupon code its only 71.99 with free shipping. It is VW and comes in several colors and has a 1 year warranty. It's an option.

b34tn1k

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 3, 2013
    Littleton, CO
    Another chiming in for the SID. I also have an Evic and a Vamo. The Evic is ok, not much beyond that. Loved my Vamo but the up button is jank, I think the pcb is falling in. I plan on pulling it apart to try to fix it. So I could do that without worry and not have to use the Evic exclusively I picked up an SID and I love the thing. You can buy the control head by itself from Madvapes for 35 and they have the battery tubes also or you could just buy the full kit(which is just the control head and 18650 tube) from a bunch of vendors for well under $60 shipped.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    take a look at the long-term. 5 years perhaps. you'd need about 5 Vamos (for example, on average) to last you 5 years. you only need 1 provari to last you that long.

vamo @ $40 x 5 years = $200
    provari @ $140 (clearance price/classifieds can be even less) = $140

extend that out to 10 years and its practically a no-brainer. plus with the provari, youre getting a better vaping experience the entire time.

i know you dont want to spend more than $60 but i just had to put this out there. sorry for stepping on any toes, i truly am just trying to help.

whatever you choose, enjoy it and just keep vapin' :vapor:

jwat82

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The Land of Lincoln
    I got my Smok Magneto and Smok Kick clone for under $60. If you ONLY care about VW, and not VV.

Edit: I am in love with mine BTW. Yeah if I ever want to change wattage I have to unscrew the cap, but 8-9 watts is my happy place and I only feel the need to go higher is if I run a dual coil setup.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread