Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I wonder what the bag of screws inside the device in the top picture is for... and I wonder what the cone-top slot to the right of the device in the packaging is for - Like a 3 inch long atty? I hope it isn't for some counterfeit or otherwise mystery battery.

My guess is that slot in the Chinese packaging is for a spare Chinese juice bottle.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wonder what the bag of screws inside the device in the top picture is for... and I wonder what the cone-top slot to the right of the device in the packaging is for - Like a 3 inch long atty? I hope it isn't for some counterfeit or otherwise mystery battery.

This was a unit they said that was sent to them for QC evaluation, so it's not the final product. As to the slot on the right, my guess is that it is for the squonk bottle.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
My guess is that slot in the Chinese packaging is for a spare Chinese juice bottle.
Chinese juice bottle...:) lol, if I do end up getting one, the bottle and tubing, probably the 510 also, is gone...but I found a job in Ca.(finally getting out of Ala.bama/bummer.. if so, I can just get a legit one.

I like the idea of having the bottle being part of the grip for the mod, but the mods with that option don't seem as durable as a reo. Probably can just subtract "don't seem," and replace that with "aren't.":)

Reactions: thetrucker

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
I like the idea of having the bottle being part of the grip for the mod, but the mods with that option don't seem as durable as a reo. Probably can just subtract "don't seem," and replace that with "aren't.":)

I'm expecting someday we will see a pump driven by a temperature controlled board. In such an arrangement, if it detects a dry hit developing, it can just pump in some e-juice. Such pumps aren't a new idea, but modders back then didn't have TC. Maybe with the Cloudmaker Tech open source chip when it comes out, someone can put together a working mod based on that approach.

Reactions: suspectK

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm expecting someday we will see a pump driven by a temperature controlled board. In such an arrangement, if it detects a dry hit developing, it can just pump in some e-juice. Such pumps aren't a new idea, but modders back then didn't have TC. Maybe with the Cloudmaker Tech open source chip when it comes out, someone can put together a working mod based on that approach.

There once was a feeder with a programmable micropump. It was called the Eclipse-EQ. It was a VV self-pumper top-feeder. I don't quite remember what went wrong with it. They built and sold a bunch and then recalled them.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
There once was a feeder with a programmable micropump. It was called the Eclipse-EQ. It was a VV self-pumper top-feeder. I don't quite remember what went wrong with it. They built and sold a bunch and then recalled them.

I think pbusardo described it as never quite working right. Sometimes an ambitious idea is too ahead of its time and the designers don't have the resources to pull it off. Also, TC offers a level of control that didn't exist back then.

Cowboy192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Cardiff, uk
cargocollective.com
My thoughts are I might get one as its throw away money to see if squonking is for me, if it is I'll buy a reo if not I haven't lost much specially as the cost of the clone is lower than any of the decent shipping options to the UK from the states

havoc1967

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Colorado Springs
Well I just ordered it. Pre-sales make me nervous but I just decided to go for it. I have wanted a Reo Grand for several years but am wary of trying basically a brand new system that I might not even like for that much money. However, if I like it I will buy the genuine article to support the maker.

havoc1967

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Colorado Springs
Good point. However it's the whole bottom feed delivery system I want to try out. If I like it there is no doubt in my mind how great the reo grand is, the quality of a counterfeit/clone/replica/etc won't change that. Regardless of the quality of this clone there is no doubt in my mind I will one day own the real deal.

Squonk_me

cut and paste has its consequences
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The danger in this approach is that if the clone has flaws, you might assume that the genuine article has the same flaws.

It's a manufactured item.. I assume there will be the occasional flaw.. I also assume the cheap copy will have more. Also that it will weaknesses of the original. Now I hope those flaws would be more rare for the smaller guy and getting problem resolved easier.
But , sadly this is not always the case.
If authentic was always best then there would only BE 1 brand for each Item you have.. Remember everything was originally introduced by the original maker/inventor.. Then copied, and "improved" and then sold by a competitor. The Wright brothers didn't invent the plane. They copied and improved on somebody elses work. They just happened to get it right first, or sell the most. So they get credit. All the cars of today cars started out as clones.. Tvs. computers and phone. In fact truly original products are very rare. Heck even the REO was not an original IDEA. It is a copy/improvement to something else. It is just the first to carry the REO name.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No, I'm not talking about an occasional flaw, as in a manufacturing defect. I'm talking about a flaw in the process of copying the device. In order to make this device at clone price-points, I expect there will be some corner-cutting, i.e. some compromises made.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
I have mixed feelings on this clone. Please humor me :) Disclosure: I own three authentic REOs and they are all rock solid with a marvelous simplicity to them. Plus great support from Rob in case anything needs a fix that is beyond my meager skill set and a marvelous ECF community to mentor the newbs. No MOD is perfect and like many here, I own a gaggle of others. All of which have their pluses and minuses. In no particular order:

I wish the clones did not use the word "REO" I'm not bashing China per say but rather concerned about "confusion" in the marketplace and the implications for some that the name "REO" may carry.

I'm tinkled pink that so many members get to try Sqonking with a cheap barrier to entry. Of course, you will need a bottom feed atty and Catfish can mod and Rob sells a very nice selection. If you chase flavor with a single coil like me, just get a RM2 and thank me later. /lol

I think "realistic expectations" would be wise. Very wise :) I'm primarily referring to the components and fit and finish. You might not like squonking and it did take me a couple of weeks so it becomes second nature. After that, it's a walk in the park and I never even think about it.

The REO has been around for a very long time and gone through several refinements over the years. That's all good in my book. The latest which may have been mentioned is an adjustable and beefy 510 pin PLUS a quick disconnect tube to swap flavors and clean.

I hope enough members enjoy Squonking that sales of the authentics and third party products and services flourish and do not decline. For many or maybe who knows, it's a viable pathway to the authentic. Their will always be demand for authentics and cheap clones. It's human nature.

I respectfully take exception to the thought that REO Mods (authentic) is somehow yesterdays technology and is somehow in decline and perhaps destined for failure. Certainly, no one can deny the huge popularity of China Box mods, power races, and el cheapo prices which is fine with me. BUT, to infer that this view is in some way "an industry trend" with doom and gloom is rather myopic. Of course, if you can provide a reliable and independent metrics to support this view, I'm interested. The authentic REO is no different than many other "niches" in the vaping universe. A 2.5 BILLON cash cow with plenty of room currently for numerous vibrant "niches" to continue to thrive alongside all the other niches. Along with a very vibrant and loyal user base which supports the niche of their choice.

Recently, Rob offered for sale about 400 Reo Woodvils - The 2015 Run. This only occurs every 12-18 months. At a price of around $240 or more they are very expensive and certainly not for everyone. Within a few hours, roughly 80% of the stock was sold and a couple of days later they were all sold. I'm not inferring that this is unique to an authentic woody REO. Rather, it's a healthy sign that this niche still flourishes just like many others.

reo-number-307.jpg

My woody :)

Good luck to all!

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Recently, Rob offered for sale about 400 Reo Woodvils - The 2015 Run. This only occurs every 12-18 months. At a price of around $240 or more they are very expensive and certainly not for everyone. Within a few hours, roughly 80% of the stock was sold and a couple of days later they were all sold.
Nope, there are still several dozen showing "BUY NOW" on the site.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I wish the clones did not use the word "REO" I'm not bashing China per say but rather concerned about "confusion" in the marketplace and the implications for some that the name "REO" may carry.

Yeah. That's a problem... on several levels. The thread in general vaping provides the info that the clone is made out of zinc and has a pretty bad 510 in it. The sample sent for review was so bad the reviewer couldn't or wouldn't review it. - If I made a product that was patent and trademark infringed, the trademark infringement would be more serious than the patent infringement if the cloner made a bad product because of the harm done to the trademark by being associated with a bad product.

So, what we know from the sample sent for review: Made from zinc and weighs like a brick - autofires with button tops - has a cheap/bad/unreliable 510. Any of those shortcomings could damage the REO brand among any who don't participate in forums like this one who know better.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yeah. That's a problem... on several levels. The thread in general vaping provides the info that the clone is made out of zinc and has a pretty bad 510 in it. The sample sent for review was so bad the reviewer couldn't or wouldn't review it. - If I made a product that was patent and trademark infringed, the trademark infringement would be more serious than the patent infringement if the cloner made a bad product because of the harm done to the trademark by being associated with a bad product.

So, what we know from the sample sent for review: Made from zinc and weighs like a brick - autofires with button tops - has a cheap/bad/unreliable 510. Any of those shortcomings could damage the REO brand among any who don't participate in forums like this one who know better.

That seems based entirely on speculation that it is the same as a Kui. Not an actual sample of the new clone. However, you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014

I'm the reviewer in question here... and I was sent the Kui by Scans Tech, not the "1:1" REO clone being discussed. And, yes, the Kui was a total POS. And, while not a 1:1 REO clone, the design of the Kui is clearly derivative of the REO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread