Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Lol, I kinda figured that ;)
Even if you could somehow use a glass bottle I'd drop the mod and break the bottle constantly!

I do think the weak point on this clone will be the screw holding the delrin block in place.
It wouldn't surprise me if a large portion of them will already come with the screw hole stripped out.

Eff clones. Seriously, if you want to try squonking cheap then get that plastic thing in the other thread for $20. Hopefully since Rob has a patent on the REO that he can do something about these.

Plastic is just not going to work for me , i insist on aluminum . China doesn't care about patents and quality isn't very high up on their list either unfortunately, but there are some very worthwhile buys out there .

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for the post , i am not saying REO's aren't worth it to everybody , just seems to me they are not a complicated device where it's worth buying an authentic over a clone , i doubt the aluminum enclosure on the clone isn't tough as nails just like the authentic.

I can't say that for the other parts though , i bet they are complete garbage.

So let's break down this comment.... First you are saying the Reo isn't a complicated device and that doesn't justify the price and then you also call it a "tough as nails" device!!!

I once had the same idea's in my head about the Reo Grand as you have!!! That was until I actually bought my first!!!

I will agree that the Reo Grand is "not" a complicated device and this is one of the major selling points of it. Us that use one daily would call this "simplicity"... It just works, and works well. That along with the fact it is an indestructible device is why we "get it" and own at least 1, if not several. You're correct in that they aren't for everybody. That's ok too.

Is it worth the price of just under $200? I would say yes, because now that I own one, all I have to spend my money on is atty's, wick, wire, batteries and juice... For some it is the last device they will ever have to buy. For just about $20 more you can pick up an extra spring, firing pin, and an extra bottle and feed tube and you are all set for just about anything that can happen to it and fix it yourself!!!

I will also point out that if you are one of the few that buy it and it doesn't work out for you, you can list it in the classifieds and get back almost a 100% return on your money!!! Not many devices out there that carry that reputation.

I personally don't think this device will be anything more than the Kui, Geyscano, and Smokeless Owl.... Those three are selling like hot cakes!!! NOT!!! This device, (like the 3 I mentioned already), is only a stepping stone to a Reo Grand and nothing more than that......

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
So let's break down this comment.... First you are saying the Reo isn't a complicated device and that doesn't justify the price and then you also call it a "tough as nails" device!!!

I once had the same idea's in my head about the Reo Grand as you have!!! That was until I actually bought my first!!!

I will agree that the Reo Grand is "not" a complicated device and this is one of the major selling points of it. Us that use one daily would call this "simplicity"... It just works, and works well. That along with the fact it is an indestructible device is why we "get it" and own at least 1, if not several. You're correct in that they aren't for everybody. That's ok too.

Is it worth the price of just under $200? I would say yes, because now that I own one, all I have to spend my money on is atty's, wick, wire, batteries and juice... For some it is the last device they will ever have to buy. For just about $20 more you can pick up an extra spring, firing pin, and an extra bottle and feed tube and you are all set for just about anything that can happen to it and fix it yourself!!!

I will also point out that if you are one of the few that buy it and it doesn't work out for you, you can list it in the classifieds and get back almost a 100% return on your money!!! Not many devices out there that carry that reputation.

I personally don't think this device will be anything more than the Kui, Geyscano, and Smokeless Owl.... Those three are selling like hot cakes!!! NOT!!! This device, (like the 3 I mentioned already), is only a stepping stone to a Reo Grand and nothing more than that......

I did say it's not a complicated device and i said the clone i bet will be just as tough in every way for a hell of a lot less money which i truly believe , to spend close to $200.00 bills on an authentic is complete insanity to me .

Although i don't own an authentic i have handled a few , nice piece but $200.00 , not a chance.

Just my opinion which i know you and many others may not agree with but i have never been a poster who cares (even a little bit) about how popular or unpopular my response may be .

I just speak exactly the way i see it and always have , if a female asks me if her .... looks big in a particular pair of jeans and i look and it happens to appear large from my viewpoint she's going to know about it .

Of course i get attacked but thats the way i am.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I did say it's not a complicated device and i said the clone i bet will be just as tough in every way for a hell of a lot less money which i truly believe , to spend close to $200.00 bills on an authentic is complete insanity to me .

Although i don't own an authentic i have handled a few , nice piece but $200.00 , not a chance.

Just my opinion which i know you and many others may not agree with but i have never been a poster who cares (even a little bit) about how popular or unpopular my response may be .

I just speak exactly the way i see it and always have , if a female asks me if her .... looks big in a particular pair of jeans and i look and it happens to appear large from my viewpoint she's going to know about it .

Of course i get attacked but thats the way i am.

That part about the big booty is funny :)

But, a legit REO isn't $200. An LP (that's a newer version meant to accommodate large diameter RDA's is $160. Blems of the same model are $120 when you can get em. They are brand new mods with some kinda minor cosmetic imperfection that you most likely will never find. REO is usually the only one that knows where they are. His QC is extremely high.

The non LP model is $151
And the blem is $117

These have all the latest upgrades too - SS adjustable and indestructible 510 conn, gold plated beryllium copper contacts for excellent conductivity and peek buttons for low resistance (low sub ohm) vaping.

Then you can spend $180 on the top of the line tumbled raw aluminum LP / SL (super light) model (the ones with the slots). I have two of those but one is a sick kawi green and one is the tumbled aluminum.

There's a REO for every ones needs - you can find em in the classies too - anywhere from $100 and up.

Small price to pay for a mod that'll last your life time, can easily be rebuilt by people as unskilled as myself, round the clock customer service, made in the USA and the most vibrant forum here on ECF.

Here's what a REO can withstand and still vape like new. I'm sure my other new metal mechs could take the same punishment but they cost about $500 each.

Those are the mods this kid gladly pays less than a month's worth of smokes for. Those right there :)

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
That part about the big booty is funny :)

But, a legit REO isn't $200. An LP (that's a newer version meant to accommodate large diameter RDA's is $160. Blems of the same model are $120 when you can get em. They are brand new mods with some kinda minor cosmetic imperfection that you most likely will never find. REO is usually the only one that knows where they are. His QC is extremely high.

The non LP model is $151
And the blem is $117

These have all the latest upgrades too - SS adjustable and indestructible 510 conn, gold plated beryllium copper contacts for excellent conductivity and peek buttons for low resistance (low sub ohm) vaping.

Then you can spend $180 on the top of the line tumbled raw aluminum LP / SL (super light) model (the ones with the slots). I have two of those but one is a sick kawi green and one is the tumbled aluminum.

There's a REO for every ones needs - you can find em in the classies too - anywhere from $100 and up.

Small price to pay for a mod that'll last your life time, can easily be rebuilt by people as unskilled as myself, round the clock customer service, made in the USA and the most vibrant forum here on ECF.

Here's what a REO can withstand and still vape like new. I'm sure my other new metal mechs could take the same punishment but they cost about $500 each.

Those are the mods this kid gladly pays less than a month's worth of smokes for. Those right there :)

Pfffttt... my $20 clone will do all of that and still keep Burger King money in my pocket.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Pfffttt... my $20 clone will do all of that and still keep Burger King money in my pocket.
Burger King???? ELITIST SNOB!!!! I can take my $20 REO clone to Booger King and eat twice as much as you for a fraction of the price!

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
$100 for a 75 cent piece of metal

ALCOA 6061 2"X1.5" flat bar Billet 2 foot section is about 80 bucks. An 8 footer is about $250.... and that's before shipping. Then there's actually machining the aluminum, polishing, and then powdercoat or anodize. Your enclosure cost estimate is a bit low at 75 cents.

In fact, I'll venture a guess that if indeed the cloner ships an actual milled aluminum mod and it isn't a plastic box at thirty bucks, they'll do it exactly once and discover they lost quite a lot of money on the venture.

Last edited:

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hopefully since Rob has a patent on the REO that he can do something about these.

Rob looks to have a design patent covering the Reo Grand (US D649,708). The problem though is that this design patent is only enforceable in the US, not anywhere else in the world. This means he could have recourse against someone importing them into the US, but in a practical sense only against a US reseller or a foreign bulk importer. While he could get an injunction against a Chinese company to not import individual units, the problem is how does he enforce it against individual sales sent by the mail? Customs can enforce injunctions, but generally they are poorly equipped to do so. Otherwise, the only thing he can likely do is work with payment services (e.g., paypal, Visa) to prohibit use of these payment methods to prevent importation. That would make it difficult, but not impossible, for someone to purchase and import an individual unit.

Also, since patent rights are territorial (i.e., they only provide rights within the country where it is granted), unless he obtained design patents in other countries (e.g., European countries), there may be substantial markets for such clones where importation and resale is legal.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
ALCOA 6061 2"X1.5" flat bar Billet 2 foot section is about 80 bucks. An 8 footer is about $250.... and that's before shipping. Then there's actually machining the aluminum, polishing, and then powdercoat or anodize. Your enclosure cost estimate is a bit low at 75 cents.

In fact, I'll venture a guess that if indeed the cloner ships an actual milled aluminum mod and it isn't a plastic box at thirty bucks, they'll do it exactly once and discover they lost quite a lot of money on the venture.

My guess would be the clone is probably die-cast aluminum alloy, not milled.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

I love posts like this!

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
My guess would be the clone is probably die-cast aluminum alloy, not milled.

Mine too... Notable though: Their description (already discussed that it was copy/pasted from REOsmods) says, "1. The REO 18650 (Grand) is a personal vaporizer milled out of block aluminum and is 100% mechanical, this means no wires. [...]" So, they are claiming it will be milled, though that's just stolen text.

And also notable: Alloys suitable for die cast... well, they'll have to really think hard on what alloy they might use to remain a decent conductor and not offer crazy amounts of resistence. They can't cast 6061 (not appropriate for die casting... the *only* thing 6061 can be cast in to is ingots/bars/beams used for other stuff), and what I remember from the data sheets I used to deal with regarding aluminum products, pretty much all of the cast-appropriate alloys are going to be lousy electricity conductors compared to 6061. So, even if they give them decent contacts and springs, they won't be much on performance.

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA

oh since you put it like that, let me order 5 of them, haha

Reactions: thetrucker

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Mine too... Notable though: Their description (already discussed that it was copy/pasted from REOsmods) says, "1. The REO 18650 (Grand) is a personal vaporizer milled out of block aluminum and is 100% mechanical, this means no wires. [...]" So, they are claiming it will be milled, though that's just stolen text.

And also notable: Alloys suitable for die cast... well, they'll have to really think hard on what alloy they might use to remain a decent conductor and not offer crazy amounts of resistence. They can't cast 6061 (not appropriate for die casting... the *only* thing 6061 can be cast in to is ingots/bars/beams used for other stuff), and what I remember from the data sheets I used to deal with regarding aluminum products, pretty much all of the cast-appropriate alloys are going to be lousy electricity conductors compared to 6061. So, even if they give them decent contacts and springs, they won't be much on performance.

Here's a photo of the unfinished clone that they posted:
Fq0CzVg.jpg

pb46hux.jpg

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Here's a photo of the unfinished clone that they posted:

I wonder what the bag of screws inside the device in the top picture is for... and I wonder what the cone-top slot to the right of the device in the packaging is for - Like a 3 inch long atty? I hope it isn't for some counterfeit or otherwise mystery battery.

Reactions: thetrucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread