REO Technical Issues/Shop Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
I've experienced that before too. I remember Rob's suggestion that we re-tighten the screws on the atty the next morning. Now it's almost habit...almost

I'd forgtten about mentioning that lil trick...as i have to tighten my screws a lot.

wait...I mean on my Reos:rolleyes:

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
O-16 grub screws, does anyone know the size and where I can get them, Home Depot perhaps?
I sure don't. Am wondering if it's in the O-16 thread in our archives. Might be worth a look. (It's called Origen Little 16). If that doesn't do it, perhaps a message to Papa L or Spydro. Also, I'm expecting my second one next week and am hoping it has extras. Would be happy to share one with you. PM me in a week or so to remind me, please

Last edited:

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
I sure don't. Am wondering if it's in the O-16 thread in our archives. Might be worth a look. (It's called Origen Little 16). If that doesn't do it, perhaps a message to Papa L or Spydro. Also, I'm expecting my second one next week and am hoping it has extras. Would be happy to share one with you. PM me in a week or so to remind me, please

That is very generous but I'm only looking ahead, wouldn't want to be caught without when I need one.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
O-16 grub screws, does anyone know the size and where I can get them, Home Depot perhaps?
don't know the size, but it so happens I've been looking for derringer grub screws. Them lil buggers can get lost fast. The places I"ve found have high shipping, so figgered if I was paying the shipping I may as well get 100 so I could share with others who might need em, but don't have quite enough yet. Home depot didn't have my size here, dunno if they're the same or not, but you could order online and have em shipped to store free, but it took at least a week.
Here are the other places I found
Set screws, Allen, Cup point, Stainless steel 18-8, #4-40 - Bolt Depot this is the size I need, not sure about yours, but it's what I had bookmarked.

Also, ebay and McMaster-Carr
good luck.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.

Rob sells grub screws on his site for the Reos, if that helps any, tho i don't recall the price.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I've bought my grub screws from McMaster Carr, when I've needed them. The shipping is expensive. But, more importantly, I prefer the 'non marring' tips to the 'cup' tips. The non marring are less likely to cut the wire when being tightened. I don't know the size for the O 16. But as I recall, the Derringer takes 4-40 grubs.
Depending on how many different atties you have, a good selection is: 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, and 4-40. These will cover just about any atty that takes grub screws.
Also, a good selection of hex wrenches is: .9mm, 1.3mm, 1.5mm, and .05" (to fit the 4-40)

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
So I guess this happened last night in another forum on ECF and it pains me that misinformation like this gets spread...

The web site is still going, and he's there to repair, and whatever else you need ... but he's done with making any more Reo's for now (unless he changes his mind later).
He's going to make guitars now:thumbs:
I can't get the quote feature on Rob's post because the Reo forum is closed, but I will just copy and paste the context here...

"I am not going out of business but I am slowing down . I will still be selling mods doing repairs no worries on that front . If you need to contact me you can email me anytime . I have given up many things in life to run this business . I am ready to semi retire and work on some other projects . I no this is going to bother some people its not my intent . I have met lots of great people here on ecf some will be my friends forever . Ecf has been good to me I am a big fan of ecf . I am down sizing it will be only me running the shop shortly . I thought it was only fair I didn't want you to show up and find the forum gone with no warning ."

and here is a link to said post... Closing the forum

"There was a time years ago I was definitely a big help to many people that couldn't quit smoking without a device like a reo . Of course that is not the case any more and lets not forget I am still making mods just not as many."

and here is a link to said post... Closing the forum

It is true that Rob is going to take some time in his semi-retirement and will be using said time to create a new guitar, but he is not done making Reo's at all, as he pointed out in his last thread...

Just taking a moment to set the record straight was all.....

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I prefer the 'non marring' tips to the 'cup' tips. The non marring are less likely to cut the wire when being tightened. I don't know the size for the O 16. But as I recall, the Derringer takes 4-40 grubs.
Depending on how many different atties you have, a good selection is: 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, and 4-40. These will cover just about any atty that takes grub screws.
Also, a good selection of hex wrenches is: .9mm,
oh this is good to know. I had not heard the term non marring, and thought the cup tips were less likely to cut the wire than whatever other kind there were. Thanks so much for this!! I woulda been unhappy if I bought a bunch of the wrong ones. Now, I know that the nuppin uses .9mm hex wrench, but is it also .9mm screws? or would that be too easy? Need to get some for that one while I'm at it.

Just taking a moment to set the record straight was all.....
Jup! You set it straight in the other forum it was mentioned in too didn't ya? I'm sure ya did but just wanted to make certain sure! hehehe Jup it's sad that stuff like this gets spread, cuz he made it real plain to us that he'd still be making mods, just not as many. There was also a post about how it would be some time before he does another run of anything, meaning that he will be doin em!
ETA with yur quote on the reo lounge post I found it and saw that Darrel said something.

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
oh this is good to know. I had not heard the term non marring, and thought the cup tips were less likely to cut the wire than whatever other kind there were. Thanks so much for this!! I woulda been unhappy if I bought a bunch of the wrong ones. Now, I know that the nuppin uses .9mm hex wrench, but is it also .9mm screws? or would that be too easy? Need to get some for that one while I'm at it.

Jup! You set it straight in the other forum it was mentioned in too didn't ya? I'm sure ya did but just wanted to make certain sure! hehehe Jup it's sad that stuff like this gets spread, cuz he made it real plain to us that he'd still be making mods, just not as many. There was also a post about how it would be some time before he does another run of anything, meaning that he will be doin em!
ETA with yur quote on the reo lounge post I found it and saw that Darrel said something.

The Nuppin screws are 2mm x 2.5mm long. The .9mm is the hex key size.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
You're welcome. Those things are tiny, and easy to lose!
yeah they are! I did see some nylon 1/8" non marring at mcmaster, are those the ones you mean or will they warp with heat? But could you link me the ones for the nuppin please. Dunno what different sizes mean, so not sure which ones they are. I typed in 2mm x 2.5mm and got nuttin lol thanks. :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
yeah they are! I did see some nylon 1/8" non marring at mcmaster, are those the ones you mean or will they warp with heat? But could you link me the ones for the nuppin please. Dunno what different sizes mean, so not sure which ones they are. I typed in 2mm x 2.5mm and got nuttin lol thanks. :)

I did not see any in 2.5mm length. Here are 2mm x 3mm. I don't know if they will work or not; or possibly have to Dremel a little off the ends.
McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
Reactions: Debadoo

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I did not see any in 2.5mm length. Here are 2mm x 3mm. I don't know if they will work or not; or possibly have to Dremel a little off the ends.
McMaster-Carr
that just brought me up to pickin which kind I want. But are these them? Don't have a dremel, but want my son to get one lol
McMaster-Carr

oh, also will the nylon work on the others, or be damaged by heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread