Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Hi everyone. As a few of you might know my sister wants to move to e-cigs. Eventually she wants a Reo so I put together a laundry list of items that are inexpensive that she can buy and use now while we figure out how we're going to handle the Reo. I have to teach her battery safety, how to make a coil, how to test the coil, how to wick, etc, etc.

I'm thinking of instead of putting together a cheap kit to start with I go straight to the Reo and have her use cartos while she gets up to speed on the rest of the stuff.

I've never used a carto with a Reo however so I don't know what gotchas lurk in that part of the woods. I'm assuming the ones that Rob sells are bottom feed and they can be squonked. What do you do to prime the carto? Do you do a standard fill using a dropper or syringe and then once wet rely on squonking from then on? Or can you simply put the carto on, with a full bottle of juice inside, and squonk until you see the juice wetting the carto filler and just continue squonking as you vape?

Any other gotchas that might make this plan a bad idea? The goal is to keep her from doing what I, and I'm sure many others, have done on the way to Reoville. Namely buy tons of gear to have it end up in a storage box once you see just how good the Reo is.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated greatly.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Hey, Fleet. I think your idea of getting the reo/battery part of the equation sorted first is a good one.

In terms of transitionary toppers, you might want to consider using a 510 bridgeless (or 306) atty. Since juice storage is taken care of by the squonk bottle, the need to have juice in the carto is pretty much moot. Also, it would get her used to squonking regularly.

Rob sells 510's if you're interested.

Never used a carto on a reo myself, but I know there is the dark art called blind squonking involved which I'm sure some 'naut with more experience than I can help you with.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
I might have a new packaged bridgeless 510. If I can find it you can have it.

Thank you, that's very kind. I think we'll be all set as I'll have to buy a few of them for her to have spares on hand.

If I may ask, what is "bridgeless" when it comes to cartos?

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Bridgeless essentially means "no wick" - it's pretty standard for most any 510 you could source these days.

ETA: so, it refers to atties, not cartos (which, of course, have filler/wick).

Ah yes, after re-reading your post it was I who confused attys with cartos regarding bridgeless. For a bridgeless 510 atty do you have any recommendations?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Cartos is good, better and easier to use actually on a Reo.

The whole catch cup and feed on demand eliminates the annoyances of using cartos with non Reo stuff. To prime one I just squonk the bejeezers out of it until I see the filler at the top is saturated. Priming it on the Reo - from the bottom up - means you know the filler is going to be fully saturated when you see it's moist at the top. Since the catch cup is going to take up any excess it's kind of hard to do it wrong and easier to keep the things consistently wet. Cartos drove me insane when not on a Reo: Too much liquid and you had flooding and leaking, too little and you had dry hits and ruined cartos. Easy peasy on a Reo.

Simple single coil stuff in the 1.5 to 1.8 ohm works well. I would get her both some cartos to try and an atty as suggested. People do have preferences one over the other when it comes to ease of use and flavor production. And they are both cheap enough so trying both won't break the bank.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
Hi everyone. As a few of you might know my sister wants to move to e-cigs. Eventually she wants a Reo so I put together a laundry list of items that are inexpensive that she can buy and use now while we figure out how we're going to handle the Reo. I have to teach her battery safety, how to make a coil, how to test the coil, how to wick, etc, etc.

I'm thinking of instead of putting together a cheap kit to start with I go straight to the Reo and have her use cartos while she gets up to speed on the rest of the stuff.

I've never used a carto with a Reo however so I don't know what gotchas lurk in that part of the woods. I'm assuming the ones that Rob sells are bottom feed and they can be squonked. What do you do to prime the carto? Do you do a standard fill using a dropper or syringe and then once wet rely on squonking from then on? Or can you simply put the carto on, with a full bottle of juice inside, and squonk until you see the juice wetting the carto filler and just continue squonking as you vape?

Any other gotchas that might make this plan a bad idea? The goal is to keep her from doing what I, and I'm sure many others, have done on the way to Reoville. Namely buy tons of gear to have it end up in a storage box once you see just how good the Reo is.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated greatly.

SXD has a vid for the blind squonk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIpmTDOO5ko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread