REOs not performing well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Yes, for some reason that build is acting funky. None of the wires look clipped. The post screws look fine and are tightened down(not over tightened). Rebuilt my rogue with 2 28g micro coils, they measured out to 0.35ohm together. That build fires fine and battery is not getting hot.

If I go back to the RM8, its misfiring and battery is getting hot. What gives?

The mod has the adjustable ss 510 and beryllium copper threads. My question is with the firing pin having a small scratch on it, why would one build work and another not if the resistance is close.

Also the rm8 was working perfectly with that identical twisted 2 strand 28g for 2.5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
From the looks of your positive contact it seems you have cooked the gold plating right off . A good cleaning and a fat dab of noalox should do the trick . The price you pay to run super sub ohm . Slamming through batteries smoking contacts . Or you could replace the positive contact .

The guys that run sub ohm like this and get away with it are very vigilant about there maintenance .

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
From the looks of your positive contact it seems you have cooked the gold plating right off . A good cleaning and a fat dab of noalox should do the trick . The price you pay to run super sub ohm . Slamming through batteries smoking contacts . Or you could replace the positive contact .

The guys that run sub ohm like this and get away with it are very vigilant about there maintenance .

Thanks rob, does deoxit help at all? How does noalox and deoxit work together? Is it one or the other?

Glad to see you're doing better. Yes you're right I'm using 3~5 batteries a day the 2200mah ones.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Replace the contact and then either buy new batteries or sand smooth the positive contact of the battery with very fine 1000-2000 grit sand paper.

Smooth super flat contact will give you the best connection..

Once those battery tops are pitted from arching nothing else will fix it.. swap reo contacts and you still will have a poor comnection..

New gold contacts and new batts..

If your crazy low ohm I'd day tab some deoxit gold on your batt ends every batt swap.

Never a prob after that.

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Replace the contact and then either buy new batteries or sand smooth the positive contact of the battery with very fine 1000-2000 grit sand paper.

Smooth super flat contact will give you the best connection..

Once those battery tops are pitted from arching nothing else will fix it.. swap reo contacts and you still will have a poor comnection..

New gold contacts and new batts..

If your crazy low ohm I'd day tab some deoxit gold on your batt ends every batt swap.

Never a prob after that.

This saddens me because I spent $20 on 2 batteries just a little over a month ago. Fricken-fracker. Should of listened to the Battery arcing thread a long time ago.

It most definitely is the positive contact that got janky from me not taking more care of it.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Your looking to polish the contact as smooth as possible . Just because the gold is gone the contact can still be used . The only down side is it will require cleaning more often . I say noalox because as long as there is a dab of noalox on the contact your contact and battery wont take abuse from the arcing .

ether way when you vape low ohm you have to keep up on the maintenance . It doesn't take long to kill your contacts vaping that way if your contacts are dirty . Deoxit gold is great stuff but I sometimes believe for the lazy vaper noalox wins out

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Rob hit on it... Noalox is for vapers that are lazier than those that use DeoxIT. But those that keep their contacts clean/aligned for a repeatable positive connection with less arching don't really need any conductivity enhancement products at all to keep them hitting hard and trouble free for a long time. Some folks will rewick every day, but they won't do the little maintenance it takes to keep contacts 100% very often. The gold plated contacts Rob supplies should be trouble free for a very long time if kept clean and properly aligned with no need for contact products at all.

There are lots of other products out there as well that would work just as well or better in our gear. So there might be other products you'd like better for your uses. I personally don't like the greases like Noalox, MG Silver, etc (have a large tube of Noalox I never used). Have bottles of DeoxIT D100L and G100L too, but I am using them less and less. Also have Ballistol, SteelShield and many others from the firearms days that would work. Like DeoxIt they are not as messy nor a collector of foreign matter like the greases. Just keeping things clean on a short regular basis is working good, with any more stringent contact care done only when I give an entire Reo a bath. They are my mostly stay at home children, so they don't take baths very often either. ;)

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Thanks Rob and everyone for the tips. I've gotten a lot better on maintenance, but still have a bit of ways to go. Just ordered 4 contacts, 2 springs, and some extra buttons to have in my inventory. Picking up some sandpaper tomorrow

Spydro, thanks for the tip as well. I mainly out and about most days unfortunately. Majority of my days are spent programming at the office at work so I go back and forth. I always keep 2 mods on me nowadays and 3 2200mah aw imr 18650s. 1 mod has a single 1.2ohm for stealth and then the other mod has an experimental low 0.2~0.35 sub ohm twisted build or possibly a fused Clapton soon.

Can't wait to send rob my silver two grand for adjustable 510 and LP.

Last edited:

300fury

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
Rochester mn usa
Watched super x's vid on reo grand maintenance. The grand I took apart is about a year old with fairly low mileage( I have a lot of tanks , and drippers , Dna 40's and I love to switch things up) anyway I decided to do the whole shebang on the grand . White eraser, alcohol, nolax under the spring, and deoxit gold on the spring and firing pin........ Jeeeeesus!! I am using a single coil at .8 ohms on a cyclone. This thing hits like a freight train. I Don't stray too much lower, I like a super tight draw and anything lower the heat will burn my lips off. Didn't pu much stock in all that maintenance...... I am now a believer!!

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Watched super x's vid on reo grand maintenance. The grand I took apart is about a year old with fairly low mileage( I have a lot of tanks , and drippers , Dna 40's and I love to switch things up) anyway I decided to do the whole shebang on the grand . White eraser, alcohol, nolax under the spring, and deoxit gold on the spring and firing pin........ Jeeeeesus!! I am using a single coil at .8 ohms on a cyclone. This thing hits like a freight train. I Don't stray too much lower, I like a super tight draw and anything lower the heat will burn my lips off. Didn't pu much stock in all that maintenance...... I am now a believer!!
Yep! Well maintained Reos are steam engines. Thanks for reminding us all to keep up the good habits of maintenance. It does matter. Just like good car care. As my father in law used to say, "take care of your car and your car will take care of you." Smart man. Bet he would say the same about a Reo....

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Last edited:

camerajunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
United States
Hello all,

I have been babying the screw on my delrin cover, but in my recent trip to Taiwan it somehow got stripped again. I was trying to fire, and kept misfiring, pulled the door off and noticed the delrin piece sagging down again. Is there any thread repair kits I can use to get it back to square one? I don't want to send this unit in just for a stripped thread. Any suggestions at all? Do not want to screw through the mod and put a nut on the outside.

DoubleDZA

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Hello all,

I have been babying the screw on my delrin cover, but in my recent trip to Taiwan it somehow got stripped again. I was trying to fire, and kept misfiring, pulled the door off and noticed the delrin piece sagging down again. Is there any thread repair kits I can use to get it back to square one? I don't want to send this unit in just for a stripped thread. Any suggestions at all? Do not want to screw through the mod and put a nut on the outside.

Use a hammer and a punch. No need for force, aluminum is soft, so a light tap with a 4mm punch should close the hole enough for your screw to 'catch' the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread