replacing cigarettes with vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Most of the people here have had success quitting smoking with e-cigs. That's why we are here!
Yes, if you want to quit, you should use nicotine based juice. Perhaps start with 18-24mg nicotine juice. Better to be too strong than not strong enough. Just vape as much as you need to. If you vape too much, your body will let you know before any harm is done. Remember how your first cigarette felt? Dizzy, a little nauseous? If you feel that, then just stop for a little while. It'll go away. Then, just slow down a little bit. You'll find your own pace.

About 2-1/2 years ago, I quit a 40 year, 3 pack of Winstons per day habit. The day I got my first e-cig was the day I smoked my last cigarette. I used 24mg and I think that was pretty successful.

Some people, probably most, don't quite immediately. But if you keep at it, it will come. Sometimes it happens sooner than you expect. I didn't even really want to quit. I just wanted to cut down. But I started vaping and, the next thing I knew, it was time for bed and I hadn't lit a cigarette. So, I did it again the next day and the day after that.......

Last edited:

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
WATER WATER WATER. Yes, feel free to vape your eyeballs out early on as you find what works best for you. If you ingest too much, you'll get that icky feeling. But vaping dehydrates, so you're going to have to double or triple your water intake. Not a bad thing really, since water is a good thing for the body. Whatever you don't need will be processed out.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I got juice in 18mg and 12mg.... I ended up sticking with the 12 because I was vaping a lot more than I smoked at first. You have to remember that the nicotine is absorbed a little differently through vapor than when you smoke, so you may vape for 20 minutes instead of a 6 minute cigarette. Don't be afraid to experiment with nic levels for a while until you settle into a groove.

HawkeyeFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
Clermont, FL
I got juice in 18mg and 12mg.... I ended up sticking with the 12 because I was vaping a lot more than I smoked at first. You have to remember that the nicotine is absorbed a little differently through vapor than when you smoke, so you may vape for 20 minutes instead of a 6 minute cigarette. Don't be afraid to experiment with nic levels for a while until you settle into a groove.

I now vary between around 12 and 18. 18 loaded for when I have to goto work, since I can't vape where I am except on break, so I need to build up the reserves. In the past that would me upwards of 3 or 4 smokes on a 1hr break. Now maybe half a ml to 3/4ths of some 18. Then switch to 12mg when I am at home doing my whatever.

WCSR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Earth
I am a pack a day smoker but would like to quit, any recommendations on how much I should vape and if I should use nicotine based juice or not, has anyone had much success quitting smoking cigarettes using ecigs?
As others have said, most of us have quit. The rest of us, with the support from this forum, are well on their way. You'll find that people here are very supportive, both to your smoking addiction, and to your questions about vaping.

You'll also find a world of flavors that taste so much better than burnt tobacco and paper. And as someone else said... Drink plenty of water. Who couldn't use more water anyway? I know I could when I started. I actually drink more water than soda now.

Most of the people here have had success quitting smoking with e-cigs. That's why we are here!
Yes, if you want to quit, you should use nicotine based juice. Perhaps start with 18-24mg nicotine juice. Better to be too strong than not strong enough. Just vape as much as you need to. If you vape too much, your body will let you know before any harm is done. Remember how your first cigarette felt? Dizzy, a little nauseous? If you feel that, then just stop for a little while. It'll go away. Then, just slow down a little bit. You'll find your own pace.

About 2-1/2 years ago, I quit a 40 year, 3 pack of Winstons per day habit. The day I got my first e-cig was the day I smoked my last cigarette. I used 24mg and I think that was pretty successful.

Some people, probably most, don't quite immediately. But if you keep at it, it will come. Sometimes it happens sooner than you expect. I didn't even really want to quit. I just wanted to cut down. But I started vaping and, the next thing I knew, it was time for bed and I hadn't lit a cigarette. So, I did it again the next day and the day after that.......
Wow. I did 3 packs a day for about 5 years, and had to back 'er on down. To do it for 40 years, and be able to quit is a testament to just how effective vaping really is. I know it's been a while since you quit, but congrats to you Sailor for being able to pull off such a feat. I was ecstatic the day I heard my pops had quit after almost 50 years. But god bless the man, he never pushed it on me. Just told me I'd have to be ready to quit, or it wouldn't work.

I hear a lot of recommendations for 1 PAD smokers to start with 18 mg/ml of nic and adjust up or down from there depending on how effective it is. I would think that some nic would be important to satisfy you and keep you off analogs.
I was down to a PAD when I quit. 18mg was good for me for the first couple of weeks, but I'm starting to figure out that 12mg is enough to keep me good all day at the rate I vape, which is basically if I'm not taking a swig of water or a bite of food...I'm taking a drag.

WATER WATER WATER. Yes, feel free to vape your eyeballs out early on as you find what works best for you. If you ingest too much, you'll get that icky feeling. But vaping dehydrates, so you're going to have to double or triple your water intake. Not a bad thing really, since water is a good thing for the body. Whatever you don't need will be processed out.
lol I've heard "vape your face off", "vape your head off", and "vape, vape, and vape some more. Rinse and repeat"...but I've never heard "vape your eyeballs out". Guess I can add that one to the list.

Last edited:

Phoenix07013

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
clarkston, mi, USA
I'll just tell you what I did. I started with a mistic e-cig from Walmart in a late night time killing shopping spree, because I had been curious about e-cig's. I liked them because of the convenience, ease of use, and tolerable taste. I moved on to blu's because of the variety, but that only lasted about 3-days since I knew I immediately wanted something more serious ( battery life, throat hit, vapor production and flavors). The e-cigs held me over and made the transition easier, the immediate health benefits as well as the long term ones helped out too, no numbing of the hands at night, no phlegm in the am, no coughing, re-acquired my sense of smell, and can enjoy more subtleties in food

Good luck

yoggyong

Jun 6, 2012
SINGAPORE
Hi, I'm new to e-cigs and have started just a mth back. Previously, I made up a decision to quit smoking. Cut for almost a mth and I was exposed to this new e-cigs world. Within that 1st mth, I totally cut smoking off and didn't have any adverse reaction to it. Other than urges to want to smoke, which IMO feels like just a habitual act of doing it since it was done for so many yrs. And my first experience with vaping aft a mth of suppression, it's wonderful! So I thought, heck why suppress that habitual act if vaping could replace it with the same notion just without the adverse effects of smoking.

Cut that personal story off, my question here is if there's any taste difference btw nicotine and non-nicotine e-juices? I bought a Janty Neo and all my e-juices were non-nicotine. That's since I tot I wanna quit, I would rather not want them. But time to time, I still have urges to want a stick or 2. Vaping still hasn't completely taken over that. Was it becos my e-juices were without nicotine? Cos I know I can't exactly replicate same taste as it would with a real cig. Maybe I could get some advise on here to how to love vaping more than smoking! :)

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
There's no real point to non nicotine vaping, at that stage you have quit everything and the vapor itself is pretty inert. This isn't about a hand to mouth habit as much as it is about you being addicted to nicotine and looking for a much better way to get it. Nicotine juice does taste a little spicy but this isn't about the taste, it's about the drug :)

NGIB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Hinesville, GA
The mistake many folks make early on is to get a low nic juice - many of these folks have a rough time putting down the smokes. I use 24 at work and 18 at home and I'm doing just dandy. I may go down to 12 at home soon as I've found flavors I really like and I vape constantly when I'm just sitting around. If you listen to Sailorman - you can't go wrong as I've never seen him post bad advice - ever...

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
Seems to me what makes cigarette smoking both so insidious & relentless an addiction is the great number of factors contributing to it. I think most of us try to find a single element upon which to place the blame, but in fact the chemical addiction is fed by all these other addictive behaviors and they all operate as a team. The hand-to-mouth movement is certainly a big part of it, as is the physical availability of them in most places. In a nutshell though, for me the biggest stumbling block is mindset, and the chemical - or the lack of it - has a natural effect on my ability to get & keep a healthy one. For the time being at least, I require my standard dose of nic when I require it just so I don't turn the boat over. :D

mccrji

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
This Saturday will be 1 month cig free! WooHoo! I have tried everything to quit analogs...the gum, lozenges, patch, Wellbutrin, Chantix, cold turkey, etc... Nothing ever worked before! I saw the NJoy e-cig at my local 7/11 and haven't picked up an analog since! I have never been this successful before and you can be as well! Start out with a higher nic level and gradually lower the nic level as you go. There have been a couple of days that I really, really craved the taste of a real cig. For those days I used the juice (Northwest Cowboy from NWVapors) that tasted as much like a real cig that I could find and vaped basically non-stop. Once the severe cravings went away I went back to the other juices. When you first start out you will find that you are vaping just about non-stop. From the reading I have done this is normal as the nicotine absorption rate is much slower vaping than it is with an analog cig. I started out with a 24 nic level and I am now down to 12. I will stay at 12 a bit longer and will then lower this amount to the next level down. Good luck to you!!!! E-cigs is the best quit smoking invention ever!

accordioni

May 12, 2012
Liverpool
Hi,

I tried a friends rechargable e-cig, and was amazed by it, so bought a cheap disposable one, which lasted me 24 hours, in which time I smoked 2 tobbacco cigs, but wanted to buy another e-cig. I chose a rechargeable kit, ordered it, and used disposable e-cigs until my "good" kit arrived. On the 2nd day of disposable, I threw away my last 3 cigarettes in a pack, as I didn't want them, but was waiting 2 more days for my rechargeable, it was the 3rd day on disposables that I didn't have that first cig of the day in the morning, and then that was it, it is over 3-weeks now (yes I am still a newcomer to vaping).

I previously smoked 30 cigs a day, for about 29 years, only managing to give up once for 9 weeks, failing on patches.

I don't think of it as giving up as such, just using an alternative to getting nicotine (I use 18mg), which I can reduce if I want, but it's not the end of the world if I don't!!

The very best of luck with starting vaping, don't put too much pressure on yourself, giving up tobbacco will happen naturally once you find a setup that suits you.:2cool:

DCB305

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Florida
Hi, I'm new to e-cigs and have started just a mth back. Previously, I made up a decision to quit smoking. Cut for almost a mth and I was exposed to this new e-cigs world. Within that 1st mth, I totally cut smoking off and didn't have any adverse reaction to it. Other than urges to want to smoke, which IMO feels like just a habitual act of doing it since it was done for so many yrs. And my first experience with vaping aft a mth of suppression, it's wonderful! So I thought, heck why suppress that habitual act if vaping could replace it with the same notion just without the adverse effects of smoking.

Cut that personal story off, my question here is if there's any taste difference btw nicotine and non-nicotine e-juices? I bought a Janty Neo and all my e-juices were non-nicotine. That's since I tot I wanna quit, I would rather not want them. But time to time, I still have urges to want a stick or 2. Vaping still hasn't completely taken over that. Was it becos my e-juices were without nicotine? Cos I know I can't exactly replicate same taste as it would with a real cig. Maybe I could get some advise on here to how to love vaping more than smoking! :)

From what I know nic does not affect flavor, but it has a lot to do with throat hit, which is why I usually vape at 18mg nic, the more nic in the juice the more throat hit you will experience. PG helps maintain what the flavor and nicotine bring to the vape and VG tends to mute or smooth over both, but will provide more vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread