Replacing the top cap on the Buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Hi Pb, send me a PM with your name and address and I'll have Terri mail you a slotted screw for it. It's easy to change it out once you have the right size screw.Take the batts out first, then just unscrew the old one and pop in the new one :) You may want to unscrew the top cap (carefully so as not to break the wire) by following the instructions on the first page of this thread.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Yes Gloria :) On the side of your IPro cap you should see a little hole. Use a small nail or something similar in that hole to get a little leverage turning the cap. The IPro cap being sloped makes it harder to get a good grip. Good luck and holler if you run in to any problems!

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, ECF didn't want to play with me last night.

mamamia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Germany
So - finally I changed the top cap on (just) one of my Buzzes, and it was a piece of cake.

Then I went on to do it to a second one --- and the tiny screw which holds the wire in place was so tightly fixed that it wouldn't move. So I thought of a trick: holding the outer screw with one screwdriver while trying to unscrew the tiny inner screw --- and doing this, I could've used a third hand which I don't have of course. And then BANG --- the wire broke off right where it was "diving" into the silicon washers.

:( :( :(

I am a bit reluctant to send the whole thing to the U.S. -- it's a loooong way by post (both ways) ... and will see if I can find someone over here who could fix the wire and the little hook thing back together again. :(

mamamia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Germany
Ahh it happens Mamamia :( As long as you still have the little ring terminal, you should be able to find someone who can solder it back on to the wire, and put some more heat shrink on it. Good luck and let us know if you get it fixed!

So, finally today the modder who promised to look after my beloved PURPLE Buzz came home today and you're right Bovinia, it took him 2 minutes to solder the little ring back on and also put some heat shrink around it.

Nonetheless he can NOT fix my Buzz, for 2 reasons: :facepalm:

1st: the 510 top cap does not fit the thread, you can only screw it in for ONE turn then it doesn't move any further

2nd: obviously when I broke the loop off the little screw, I might have broken off the cable also on the side where it is/was connected to the PCB ...and now of course, this guy has a real problem. He doesn't want to take my Buzz apart completely, which he would have to do -- but so far he always has only taken PVs apart.

Is there a solution which Mike could instruct me & him on how to proceed from here?

Or should I just go ahead and send the whole misery back to Mike for him to heal it? :(

Last edited:

mamamia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Germany
Thanks a lot Bovinia ... (are you Debi on FB??) LOL

Then I will do that ... meanwhile I have sent the link to the explanation of the DIY kit to my modder, just for him to see how the Buzz is built on the inside, and told him explicitly to just watch it to educate himself about it. Hopefully he'll find it tomorrow (it's past 1.00 am over here) .. and we can have a quick phone chat about it.... and then I will see how I get it from him to you.

mamamia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Germany
I had a brief contact with him today, and he said he's going to watch the video tomorrow morning and then let me know his decision. (Of course he doesn't want to risk damaging the PCB!).

And IN CASE I would have to send it over .... I would need for notcigs to give some TLC to HOW they send it back -- but I will PM you on this ... it's a bit delicate to discuss in public. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread