Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So, I've been doing a little Kanthal/Nichrome comparison myself. I've used them interchangeably in the past; but when it comes to my beloved 0.5Ω micro coil setup, I always reach for my 26g Nichrome. According to the resistances listed, this would be the equivalent of 25g Kanthal. So, I finally got around to trying the 25g Kanthal, and I found some surprising differences! 25g Kanthal is nothing like 26g Nichrome. I've tried several coils in 3 different atomizers on 3 different mechs with different batteries. Heck, today I even gave all three mods a thorough cleaning and did contact maintenance.

. . . the results. I consistently have to use one less wrap (7 instead of 8 on a 1/16" ID) to net the 0.5Ω resistance. Furthermore, the Kanthal is noticeably slower to heat up. It feels "saggy". The Nichrome definitely has more kick and faster heat-up time. In fact, I've found that I need to get down to 0.4+Ω with the Kanthal to get the same vaping experience that I got with Nichrome. So, what's that all about?

Anyway, short of having some negative physical reaction to the composition of either, I would hands-down recommend 26g Nichrome as the go-to wire in this range of resistance. If for no other reason, one can get a more satisfying vape at a higher (safer?) resistance.

ETA: well, I just re-checked the listed resistances. The difference ain't much. I'm really surprised that this fractional difference would explain it . .. . but, hey?

Nichrome 26g: 2.67Ω/ft
Kanthal 25g: 2.73Ω/ft

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I would agree.. I think I like Nichrome better its also not as springy after its annealed. The lag with kanthal your talking about may be why my coils dont seem to perform the same way. My experience is with 32 & 30 gauge. I think I get better flavor with Nichrome. But only have kanthal right now so can't do side by side.

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
So, I've been doing a little Kanthal/Nichrome comparison myself. I've used them interchangeably in the past; but when it comes to my beloved 0.5Ω micro coil setup, I always reach for my 26g Nichrome. According to the resistances listed, this would be the equivalent of 25g Kanthal. So, I finally got around to trying the 25g Kanthal, and I found some surprising differences! 25g Kanthal is nothing like 26g Nichrome. I've tried several coils in 3 different atomizers on 3 different mechs with different batteries. Heck, today I even gave all three mods a thorough cleaning and did contact maintenance.

. . . the results. I consistently have to use one less wrap (7 instead of 8 on a 1/16" ID) to net the 0.5Ω resistance. Furthermore, the Kanthal is noticeably slower to heat up. It feels "saggy". The Nichrome definitely has more kick and faster heat-up time. In fact, I've found that I need to get down to 0.4+Ω with the Kanthal to get the same vaping experience that I got with Nichrome. So, what's that all about?

Anyway, short of having some negative physical reaction to the composition of either, I would hands-down recommend 26g Nichrome as the go-to wire in this range of resistance. If for no other reason, one can get a more satisfying vape at a higher (safer?) resistance.

ETA: well, I just re-checked the listed resistances. The difference ain't much. I'm really surprised that this fractional difference would explain it . .. . but, hey?

Nichrome 26g: 2.67Ω/ft
Kanthal 25g: 2.73Ω/ft

The way I see it the fact that you are heating a not inconsiderably higher mass of wire with Kanthal for the same or similar resistance, you are going to get a slower response or lag before you get up to full temperature, this means Nichrome is giving you a more consistant wire temperature throughout you toke/puff/pull/drag or whatever the current PC term is.
As I mentioned on the micro coil thread, I have been playing with 26g Kanthal and compairing it to my previous squeeze the 28g Nichrome, the conclusion I came to is, that it just isn't worth the strain of the lower resistance, to me the 28g nichrome, even though it is higher in resistance, gives a considerably more efficient performance, I can not taste any real difference with either wire type so the performance sells me on it fully. The 60 nichrome has a higher resistance than the 80, so the 80 is going to be a touch more responsive again, havnt found anywhere selling 28,27 or 26g Nichrome 80 yet, but I'm looking :)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
So, then . . . in my continued "research" [snicker] on this topic: having gotten down to about 6 wraps of 25 Kanthal, I realized I might as well change busses and try a ~9 wrap of 24g Kanthal. (Figures, right?) Here, I've found something very interesting. Obviously, given Studiovap's observation, I'm getting deeper into the "more mass" region; but I've found a pleasant and surprising new space to enjoy. A 9-ish wrap of 24 Kanthal does have a little heat-up time***; but that space (that window of heating up) does wonders for my absynthe-type flavors! (I wouldn't be surprised if it did some nice stuff for tobaccos and such too.) I compare this flavor profile to an elephant cooing gently. There's alot of deep and intense flavor (and thick chewy clouds . . . . . toothsome, in fact . . . . al dente), and you can tell that it's a very powerful beast; but it's very gentle! NICE!

***mechanical device WITH collapsing safety spring and batteries rated at 24 Amp Max. Continuous Discharge!!!!!! Don't be vaping a set-up like this on anything but HIGH DRAIN 18650 IMR batteries with the capacity to handle it! (I'm using AW IMR 18650 1600mAh)

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
but I'm looking :)
There is a seller in ebay here from Germany. Also, any thoughts about which one is saffer for us to use? nichrome 60 or nichrome 80? the 60 is easier to work with where the 80 is kind of stiff. The only difference in composition is that Nich80 doesn't have iron

bigmaaark

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
rancho cucamonga, ca
I tried searching for an answer to my question but i couldnt find anything so i figure this would be the best place to ask....

im running a micro coil right now and i want to add more wrap to get more surface area but keep the ohms the same, would i go down or up on the awg? im currently running 28awg kanthal 8 wraps coming in at .8 ohms. i wanna keep it there but maybe do like 10-12 wraps

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
I tried searching for an answer to my question but i couldnt find anything so i figure this would be the best place to ask....

im running a micro coil right now and i want to add more wrap to get more surface area but keep the ohms the same, would i go down or up on the awg? im currently running 28awg kanthal 8 wraps coming in at .8 ohms. i wanna keep it there but maybe do like 10-12 wraps

Right, bigmaaark, you would want 27g Kanthal, or 28g Nichrome.

I was going to ask a similar question. It looks like I found part of my answer. I need a lower awg size. Maybe 28 awg.

I have started rebuilding my evod/protank heads. All I currently have is 32awg Kanthal a-1. This seems to work fine for rebuilding to a stock coil style...4 to 6 wraps spaced evenly apart. This has been giving me 1.5 to 2.3 ohms.

However, I want to try some micro coils in my evod/protank heads. I would like to make coils with 8-12 wraps (depending on what will fit in the head) so that I have more surface area. 4 wraps of 32g mashed into a micro coil is ridiculously small. I want to keep the resistance around 2 ohms because, I use these on twists and spinners while I am out and about or at work.

I am also going to purchase my first rda soon. Probably an Igo-W. The 32g wire should work fine for my intended dual coil builds. Building two coils at 3.6 ohms each should give me the desired 1.8 ohm resistance if, I am correct in my thinking. The reason I want higher ohms on my rda is so that I can use it on my SiD or Vamo.

I know, this is not as sexy as sub-ohms on a mech. But, this is keeping me satisfied and off of the stinkies. And, I don't own a mech or dna20 mod...yet ;-)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I was going to ask a similar question. It looks like I found part of my answer. I need a lower awg size. Maybe 28 awg.

I have started rebuilding my evod/protank heads. All I currently have is 32awg Kanthal a-1. This seems to work fine for rebuilding to a stock coil style...4 to 6 wraps spaced evenly apart. This has been giving me 1.5 to 2.3 ohms.

However, I want to try some micro coils in my evod/protank heads. I would like to make coils with 8-12 wraps (depending on what will fit in the head) so that I have more surface area. 4 wraps of 32g mashed into a micro coil is ridiculously small. I want to keep the resistance around 2 ohms because, I use these on twists and spinners while I am out and about or at work.

I am also going to purchase my first rda soon. Probably an Igo-W. The 32g wire should work fine for my intended dual coil builds. Building two coils at 3.6 ohms each should give me the desired 1.8 ohm resistance if, I am correct in my thinking. The reason I want higher ohms on my rda is so that I can use it on my SiD or Vamo.

I know, this is not as sexy as sub-ohms on a mech. But, this is keeping me satisfied and off of the stinkies. And, I don't own a mech or dna20 mod...yet ;-)

I'm not doing calculations here, just musing loosely . . .. . but . . . .. I don't think a twist is gonna heat up 10-12 wraps of 28 gauge wire any too quick (more than once). I think 10-12 wraps of 30g on a 1/16" coil ID will put you where you want to be.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
Hazmatt - do the 10 wrap micro with 32! I've done it for a long time you just need to heat and compress it gently. Don't worry if its 3 ohm a 3ohm micro will out do the 2ohm standard, IMO. 3 ohm micro at 5 volts is good you will see.

Just do it!

I will try one this weekend. If 4.8 volts is not hot enough for me, I can always try it on my Vamo or SiD.

I need to get something better to wrap the coils on. I have been using a toothpick. I know the coils are slightly different diameters each time I wrap one.

I have to admit, I am liking the 2.3 ohm, 6 wrap micro coil more than the 1.8 ohm coils I made last weekend.

Last edited:

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Lancaster, Pa
Hazmatt - do the 10 wrap micro with 32! I've done it for a long time you just need to heat and compress it gently. Don't worry if its 3 ohm a 3ohm micro will out do the 2ohm standard, IMO. 3 ohm micro at 5 volts is good you will see.

Just do it!

Been following along Jeremy, out of curiosity since this is your tried 'n true setup, what juice are you vaping with it? I find voltagewise to vary significantly across different juices. For example, my ADV tastes terrible in a genny, with mesh, or at high voltage.

RHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread