Review of the New ZAP (Z Atty Pro) V2.1 w/Ceramic Wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to do a short review of the new ZAP (V2.1) w/Ceramic WIC from ProVape. The only differences in the new V2.1 is the engraved (rather than laser etched) ZEN log on the cap, the Laser Etched ZEN log on the center post (inside the tank), and the ceramic wick that replaced the SS mesh wick. They have removed the plastic insulator tubing to accommodate the larger diameter ceramic wick. First thing to note, the one extra ceramic wick included with the ZAP was broken upon arrival. Surprising, since it was packed inside a small plastic tube with red rubberized end caps, and everything was well packed. So, even with good packaging, the wicks are susceptible to breakage during shipping. Now to the ceramic wick performance, compared to my stock 400 Stainless Mesh in my previous version ZAP, using the same e-liquid, it seems to wick as well as the stock 400 SS mesh. It does produce a very good flavor when wick is allowed time to saturate upon tilting. Even with no break in, it still vapes great. The SS Mesh, once broken in, gives just as good flavor IMHO. These wicks are QUITE fragile and can be broken just wrapping a coil, knocking the cap off, and just plain shipping, seems to be the only real drawback with them. As PBusardo might say, I give the ceramic wicks a hesitant thumbs up...only due to how fragile they are.

Last edited:

natchez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2012
Nevada
I received a ZAP 2.1 on Tuesday and the ceramic wick was cracked in half in the middle of the pre-wrapped coil rendering it useless. They were very kind and after forwarding Provape a picture they already mailed me another wick. So customer service is good.

Fortunately, my spare wick was not cracked, so I torched it and wrapped a coil and am happily vaping away. The verdict is out as to whether this genesis is better than my AC9, but so far it appears promising. You can also still use SS mesh or SS cable to make a wick for the ZAP 2.1; just make sure it is well oxidized so it will not short.

I am a little concerned that the ceramic wicks are so fragile that they may just crack in normal handling or usage. I would hate to be caught without a working PV. But, otherwise it is working really well and it broke in quickly- 1/2 a tank did it for me. I would also suggest any coil adjustments be made gingerly, as the ceramic seems clearly less forgiving that the SS mesh, if you go about poking your coils as I do.

The ZAP build quality and machining is truly excellent and it mates to the Provari products perfectly. On a Provari it definitely looks better than the AC9.

ZAP provides one spare ceramic wick, some resistance wire, and the hex tool, but no extra o-rings or other parts. I can't report on the longevity of the system or wick as it really brand new. I did receive one of the first AC9s and it has worked well for over six months now without replacing any parts, other than SS mesh wicks and coils.

natchez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2012
Nevada
Is the top cap still loose on this version? Or tighter?

The top cap is held on by an o-ring and seems a decent fit. It is not quite as tight as the AC9, and it might be loosened by use in a pocket or such- if that helps. I did not have the earlier version, so I have no real way to compare. It will not slip off by holding it upside down, or light shaking, I tied this. But, as I just received and wired it up, I will know more in a week or so of real use.

mmikee

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
st louis
The 1/8" ceramic wicks from DV work and is a perfect fit.
I have been vaping mine for almost 2 weeks with the stock wick that came installed, and it is ROCKIN. Fantastic flavor, and giant clouds of vapor. It does get better after a few tanks run through it, but was pretty great from the start.
Fortunately, both of my wicks arrived intact.

natchez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2012
Nevada
Is the top cap still loose on this version? Or tighter?

After a week or so, the Zen cap did knock off in my pocket and another ceramic wick bit the dust. So, I picked up a much smaller but thicker o-ring at the store and now the cap fit is great. I also built a new coil and SS 400 mesh wick for the Zen, so I could compare it to the AC9. Overall, they are pretty much equal. The Zen looks a little better, the AC9 builds a little easier and has wider wick and fill holes. So, my take after a while is that it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. They are both really nice tank rebuildables and deliver a great vape.

Dad2daBone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I had the same Issue with the cap being too loose. I put it in my pocket once and a quick trip up the stairs knocked the cap and snapped my first ceramic. I will definitely try a different sized O ring. I spun up a SS wick and I am much more impressed with the performance vs the ceramic. I am going to give my second ceramic a go as well after reading suggestions on breaking them in properly. I was only on tank 2 when my wick broke.

In the parts bag that came with the ZAP there were two small pieces of plastic tubing. Anyone know what these are for??

cranko

Apr 17, 2011
Malaysia
After a week or so, the Zen cap did knock off in my pocket and another ceramic wick bit the dust. So, I picked up a much smaller but thicker o-ring at the store and now the cap fit is great. I also built a new coil and SS 400 mesh wick for the Zen, so I could compare it to the AC9. Overall, they are pretty much equal. The Zen looks a little better, the AC9 builds a little easier and has wider wick and fill holes. So, my take after a while is that it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. They are both really nice tank rebuildables and deliver a great vape.

Do you mind sharing where did you get the thicker o-ring from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread