Riddle me this ..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Hey guys, I have been doing a ton of homework on what my next set up will be. I recently got introduced to the reo's and have watched plenty of YT vids. It seems almost unbelievable that the things are THIS great. However I won't say that they aren't, as I have never vaped one.

Some of the cons of the Reo that I can see from afar would be basically 3 things: 1) The shape of them. They do not seem as sleek/slender as a lot of mechs. 2) Before I give the second reason I want to make it clear that I am not bad mouthing the maker of these (I know he frequents this board); but these things are flat out ugly IMO. I have not found a color combo that I honestly think I could spend $140 on. They make look different in person, but between the texture, colors, and color combos, I honestly have no attraction to these mods. Again, I am NOT trying to be disrespectful as I know how much time and effort goes into making these things, not to mention looks and taste are obviously subjective. 3) The price. I work in an industry where I order/price out a wide variety of different types of steel/aluminum etc. I also own 2 high speed CNC's, along with a floor full of surface grinders, mills, lathes, CNC EDM machines etc. i have no clue why a small piece of aluminum with some really basic machining costs $140. I could be missing something here, but there isn't any fancy mechanisms or features on the Reo, is there? Just a piece of alum. milled out with a fire button, and a alum door with 2 magnets?

I recently bought a Chi You clone for 60$. No, it's not made in the US, but it's brass with silver contacts, looks beautiful and hits like a beast. My only problem is that I am not a big fan of genny atty's and am looking for something that produces a drip like vape, without having to actually drip all day. So essentially I could buy a kayfun Lite, slap it on my Chi and have what I am looking for (or, maybe not?), all while looking really nice, and staying right around the same price as a Reo with a RM2 and a few extra bottles, posts etc.

Keep in mind I am playing a bit of devils advocate here, and am honestly trying to get sold on these Reo's, but I just do not see the hype. I don't understand how a 1.3-8ohm micro coil can vape as good as a .4-.5ohm dual coil build on a traditional mech/atty. What am I missing here? Or am I? lol..Maybe it's the great community you guys have here? I don't know, but honestly want to find out.

Thanks for any and all responses and PLEASE, nobody take offense as again, I am playing more of a devils advocate here :)

Happy vaping..

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
1) I love the shape. It sits flat on a table without rolling anywhere. It holds a giant battery and double the juice capacity of most tank RBA's I've used. Feels much better in my hand than a metal tube and it goes great with my pocket.

2) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think they are dead sexy. I wasn't particularly attracted to them before I used one but after... their embodiment of the word "quality" make them more attractive to my eye than any battery tube with any atty on top of it. I do admit I'm a function over form kind of guy though.

3) There are a few ways I want to reply to your comments about the price, none of them antagonistic or anything. The machining may look simple and to a professional it may be simple. I am curious how many $30 mods you would have to sell to pay for all of your equipment?

I spent a lot more on vaping before I got into squonking. Especially when you consider impeccable customer service I think the price of admission is equitable.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
I'd much rather vape a Reo than something that looks like my wife's bedroom toy :D

and
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,
...which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail
...to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is
...contempt prior to investigation."
..........................................................................—.Herbert.Spencer

Oh and I'm not insulting you with the quote it just means you really should physically see and hold something before judging it. If you really do find it so unappealing please do continue to vape your bedroom toy :)

Last edited:

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
I see what you are saying as far as the form factor vis-a-vis one of the shiny tube mods, but the Reo is really a function-first piece of gear. At the end of the day, all mech mods are straight up battery holders. The functionality of the bottom feeding design necessitates the Reo's shape. You might not think it is the belle of the ball next to a tube mod, but that's just a personal preference. I was not attracted to the look of the Reo at first, but after using one, I am having difficulty having interest in any other mod.

For me, my PV is a utilitarian device. I have a love for design and like "cool looking" gear, but for me, my PV of choice is strictly driven by how well it works, and it' level of reliability. It's why I bought a Provari, and it's why I have moved on to the Reo. For me, it's not a fashion statement. At all.

That being said, the Reo design has really grown on me. I love the ergonomics, the simplicity of the design, and the durability of the finish. My opinion is colored, I am sure, by the fact that it works better and Los more consistent than anything I have ever tried. Beyond that, there are a lot of people doing cosmetic tweaks to their Reos that make them as fresh looking as any mod out there. The brass RM2 / copper vein people, and DarkZero, I'm looking at you.

The Reo isn't the mod that the young kids hanging out in your local B&M are going to be hanging out building coils on all afternoon. It is, however, the mod that will be consistently producing the flavor and clouds that they spend their days chasing.

As for the price, they bring what the market will bear, and for such a well made, small batch American product with a warranty, they are extremely reasonable. Do we really want to talk about what mechs are worth when there are people spending $600 a piece on iHybrids in the classies? If you have the machining skills, I suggest knocking off the Doodlebug, selling them for half of what the original went for, and then retiring to your own private island. Just kidding, of course about the Doodlebug, but in a market where prices for specific pieces are WAY out of whack with reality, the Reo is really a very reasonable investment in a very solid mod.

Good luck with your search. I feel lucky that I found the Reo so early in my quest for the perfect vape. I saved myself lots of time and more money.

aarhus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
^^^This

Function over form. I wasn't a fan to start with. I used carto tanks on the road, and dripped at home. I reached the 'there's gotta be a better way' threshold and began to hunt around. Somehow I ended up in Reoville where a bunch of really nice people (...?...) were raving on about this boxy thing. What struck me was it wasn't just the ravings of the newly converted. There were people around who'd been using this for a long time (vaping time, that is), and they were just as enthusiastic as the newbies.

While I wasn't too keen on the boxy aspect, the bottom feeding utility seemed to me to be functionally elegant -- which I'm a sucker for. My take is that if you build for function, what you end up with is the cleanest, most utilitarian synthesis of that functionality.

And that is what the Reo is. 100% focused on functionality. The fact that it will grow on you looks-wise, and that ergonomically it is well-nigh perfect, and that it is virtually indestructible, and that it can be repaired in the field almost with what you have on hand (stretching it a bit, y'know what I mean).... all of that is beside the point. It is a bottom-feeder designed only for that purpose.

I think of it as the difference between the Willys vs. the Hummvee. We had a lot of the former in Africa. They were uncomfortable ugly beasts, but you could repair them in any village and the just kept on going. The hummer will outperform the Willys, as long as you have the support structure behind it.

As far as price is concerned, yeah it is expensive.... but compared to what? A Provari/Vamo/Evic etc. may be cheaper, but the Reo is a lot more durable, and with a little tlc will last forever.

If you can, try to hold one in your hand, and see if that doesn't change your mind :D

imho and all that :D

cioranes

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Paris, France
First time I heard about reos, and browsed the site, I wasn't attracted to the looks at all. I did see some functional elegance, but no wow factor like a chi you (your example). Or like a few pics of a caravela mod (still make my mouth water).
But, and its a big but, I wouldn't vape anything other than a Reo anymore. And since I hold mine in my hand, i do find the looks mesmerizing. And love browsing photos of them, dreaming of my next purchase.
Like it has been said, the looks grow on you, big time.
Still, this first impression might detract some potential customers. What convinced me was some members pics on the forum right here, and the short vids on Rob's site showing the black wrinkle and metallic finishes.
What Rob could do (if I may) is use some members pics on his site (in addition to the functional ones already there). There are some great photos around here, that would for sure convince first time visitors that reos are beautiful.
There could be a "members gallery", "Reo owners gallery" or something like that. I do understand though it might be time consuming to ask people for permission to use their pics.
Just a suggestion from a reonaut who only wants for reos the reconnaissance they deserve.

Vapeaddikt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Southern Cloud Cartel Arlington, TX
Hey guys, I have been doing a ton of homework on what my next set up will be. I recently got introduced to the reo's and have watched plenty of YT vids. It seems almost unbelievable that the things are THIS great. However I won't say that they aren't, as I have never vaped one.

Some of the cons of the Reo that I can see from afar would be basically 3 things: 1) The shape of them. They do not seem as sleek/slender as a lot of mechs.

-I own a chi you clone both in brass and stainless along w/ a real trident, clone trident, nimbus and 2 igo's along w/ a few genesis Hybrids. I've also owned pro-vari's, evic, and ego's.

This being said-Rob's photo's don't do the thing justice till you actually hold one and actually see that it fit's in your pocket better w/ zero leaking when paired with a RB2. I just don't understand why I didn't get one sooner seeing as I've been vaping for almost 3 years.

2) Before I give the second reason I want to make it clear that I am not bad mouthing the maker of these (I know he frequents this board); but these things are flat out ugly IMO. I have not found a color combo that I honestly think I could spend $140 on. They make look different in person, but between the texture, colors, and color combos, I honestly have no attraction to these mods. Again, I am NOT trying to be disrespectful as I know how much time and effort goes into making these things, not to mention looks and taste are obviously subjective.

-While it may be easy to say that if it is your opinion which is noted and in no way meant to disrespect. I personally value function over aesthetic appeal of a device. Personally I love the look once I received it. The simple functionality and vaping quality trumps any doubt's I have on it.

3) The price. I work in an industry where I order/price out a wide variety of different types of steel/aluminum etc. I also own 2 high speed CNC's, along with a floor full of surface grinders, mills, lathes, CNC EDM machines etc. i have no clue why a small piece of aluminum with some really basic machining costs $140. I could be missing something here, but there isn't any fancy mechanisms or features on the Reo, is there? Just a piece of alum. milled out with a fire button, and a alum door with 2 magnets?

-I have absolutely NO quarrels over the price. Simple reasoning is this:
1) I understand and know I can purchase a cheaper Chinese version. I also understand the cheaper Chinese version is mass produced by extremely low paid employees who work out of necessity for survival vs pride and passion. I can't explain if one does not understand the inherent difference it makes when someone makes something w/ pride and passion and won't if one does not understand. I for one am never against paying to support a living of someone who makes things that I believe in.

I recently bought a Chi You clone for 60$. No, it's not made in the US, but it's brass with silver contacts, looks beautiful and hits like a beast. My only problem is that I am not a big fan of genny atty's and am looking for something that produces a drip like vape, without having to actually drip all day. So essentially I could buy a KayFun Lite, slap it on my Chi and have what I am looking for (or, maybe not?), all while looking really nice, and staying right around the same price as a Reo with a RM2 and a few extra bottles, posts etc.

Keep in mind I am playing a bit of devils advocate here, and am honestly trying to get sold on these Reo's, but I just do not see the hype. I don't understand how a 1.3-8ohm micro coil can vape as good as a .4-.5ohm dual coil build on a traditional mech/atty. What am I missing here? Or am I? lol..Maybe it's the great community you guys have here? I don't know, but honestly want to find out.

Thanks for any and all responses and PLEASE, nobody take offense as again, I am playing more of a devils advocate here :)

Happy vaping..

Now to go into further note:

#1 I have been in the people business for over 20 years. This being said I can't actually sell anyone on anything and a common mistake most salesmen/business make is trying to push an idea on someone. Sales in it's most inherent form is a transference of emotion/feeling from one individual to another. I study anything I choose to invest in with vigorous tenacity and simply don't "sell" anything I don't personally believe in and have not tried myself. People "buy" or are "sold" when they actually perceive that you actually might know what the hell your talking about. If you don't most people will see through your bull before you do. We are all social animals this being said most have an inherent ability for feeling others out.

#2 I can only speak from personal observations and at the same time take a few "tells" from your opening post....here goes: Your tactic is decent...open the post to get an emotional response from an undoubtedly either "brainwashed" bunch of loonys or a bunch of noobs who just don't know better to get a "hook" for the real meat and potatoes while at the same time giving the subtle reminders that you mean no offense. Not bad and I appreciate the approach and the thought behind the post while typing it. No need for rationalizations to back your claims and I'll explain why.

I too am a naturally analytical thinking person who calculates odds and numbers while getting a read on people full time. I did it w/ the REO it didn't work...."you see sometimes in life I also learned you have to take a plunge and do things in spite of odds. I took a gamble. But at the same time had I never taken gambles and tried to "think" my way into everything I'd be a thinker who never did or gotten. I can't explain it but will try....I failed many times but also remembered Babe Ruth struck out more times than all other baseball players yet ended up one of the legends.

#3 To close this it comes down to this: Either do it or don't...it really does not effect anyone here in any way. The only one who it could possibly effect is you. "Blue Pill or Red Pill"

Try not to rationalize it or think about it too much DO IT or don't.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
First, let's get something out of the way--it isn't LIKE dripping, it IS dripping--upside down from the bottom. One-handed all day long, even when driving, and flood-free with the RM2. Nothing compares to the vape of dripping and you've reached the pinnacle of dripping with a REO. No atty is as safe and even close to as easy to use as an RM2. Most of us can recoil and rewick an RM2 in the time it takes just to line up all the parts of a Kayfun Lite, much less get a genny working.

My daily driver is a 3/4 ton, 4WD, diesel pickup truck. If I won the lottery, that wouldn't change--no Porsche Turbo, Corvette, etc. My REOs are my trucks and there's an unparalleled beauty in their functionality. When I first saw a REO, I was amazed at the ingeniously simple design. Same height and depth as a pack of regular length filter cigarettes, but much narrower to fit in the hand--the front can be covered with a business card with room to spare. It fits in the hand comfortably and is WAY more comfortable in a pocket than a "sleek, slender," C cell flashlight!

Pre-REO, I showed a new tube mod to an old biker buddy. He wryly smiled and said, "You know what that looks like and what you look like sucking on it, don't you?" He was right and that's what most non-vapers see. With a box mod, it looks like your getting a stinkie you just shook up out of a pack. That's why we call tube type APVs "tubesteaks" here in Reoville. REOs don't attract that kind of attention.

I've been working in the research and engineering community for decades and have access to some pretty sophisticated test equipment. Could I measure the resistance of every part of my REO accurately? Sure... but as far as I'm concerned, the vape from my 0.5Ω coil in an RM2 on a REO is so far beyond my biggest, best cigars, and a 0.8Ω coil right up there with them, why bother? I don't chip my truck and put it on a dyno, either (but I realize some do). As long as it'll accelerate my RV or boat up a 7% grade from a dead stop, why bother? What matters more to me with my REOs is the fast-acting hot spring that protects me and my battery.

Perhaps in spite of my background, I have enough business sense to know what an entrepreneur pays for something is irrelevant. It's what customers find the product worth that matters. If you can do it cheaper and better, more power to you--walk the walk, don't just come here and talk the talk. I'm very good at what I do and well paid for it. I extend that to others, such as Rob, who make my life easy.

So there you have it--my perspective. You can think and talk about it all you want, but you won't know the truth until you've owned one.

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
I'm the type of person who likes "different" so I was entranced with the look of the REO the first time I saw one more than 2 years ago. There weren't many box mods on the market at the time. I skipped all the tank stuff and went straight to an Old Goat from my crappy 510 cigalike to see if I liked bottom feeding before dropping the money on a REO. I did my research, read here lots, enjoyed the Old Goat ease of use, and decided to get the REO shortly after. And I am so glad I did. I'd really only known vaping the easy way by using a REO.

I have no complaints about the price, either. With Rob, the supplier, being so active in the forum, that is truly priceless. I know my REOs will probably outlast me and keep right on working day in and day out. For me, the decision was easy and I've no interest in anything else. I like stuff that works without a hassle.

About the feel in the hand: I have very small hands. Really. I have two minis that fit perfectly and feel great along with a VVGrand. Of course the VVGrand is bigger, but it's still comfortable. I'll be grabbing a Grand soon. They are not awkward or unwieldy in the least. One-handed dripping rules. :)

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Keep in mind I am playing a bit of devils advocate here, and am honestly trying to get sold on these Reo's, but I just do not see the hype.

There's no hype surrounding REOs. "Hype" suggests an inflated sense of value and performance. Our enthusiasm for REOs and RM2s isn't the least bit inflated or overstated.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I keep seeing the word "utilitarian" thrown around and that is exactly what I thought the first time I saw one. When I first started vaping a friend expressed an interest in the Reo and I took a glance and went...meh. Since then I've acquired a Provari, Zenesis, and some cheaper mechanicals (I still think the Magneto is pretty spiffy looking). I liked carto tanks for their convenience but dripping for the taste so I would carry a couple of each to work everyday (along with a couple of leaky gennys). After setting up my rotation in the mornings my co-workers would comment on my "**** lab" and we'd all have a laugh (because...in hindsight it did look pretty ridiculous).

When I ran across Supes micro-coil thread he would prattle on and on about the Reo...Reo this...Reo that. Finally, I bought one just to shut him up (it didn't). I bought a tumbled raw because, like you, I wasn't too keen on any of the colors. Straight out of the box it just felt right in my hand...fit in my pocket perfectly, not rolling around or falling out every time I bent over...and...I got the convenience of a tank with the taste of a dripper. The first time I fired it up with a micro in the RM2 I just said, "Wow." Then I said it two more times. Actually...I haven't stopped saying it. The next day when I went to work all I took was that ugly, raw aluminum, boxy, un e-cig like monstrosity (and an extra battery...just in case...and a couple bottles of juice so I could drip). And that's all I've taken with me since.

Utilitarian indeed.

So...your first point is just aesthetics and I can see that. I wasn't too keen on box mods either. I wanted a shiny cool tube like everyone else had. To each his own. I do recommend checking out some of the pics around here. It's not hard to add a few things here and there to personalize your Reo if you're looking for some unique (and it is certainly that).

As for your second point...I can't speak to that. I have no idea how much it costs Rob to make these (and I don't want to know) but I've always said I would pay more for customer service and you certainly get that with the Reo. I'm not rich and I have a daughter in college and we live on a single income but I've managed to save enough pennies for three of these (I get an "allowance" and sometimes I have to eat canned pasta for a week or two at work but it's worth it) and as much as I joke about my wife jumping on my head after every purchase she's actually okay with it (it is, after all, my allowance...lol). I think the price point is just right.

debzcf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
At the shore...
There's no hype surrounding REOs. "Hype" suggests an inflated sense of value and performance. Our enthusiasm for REOs and RM2s isn't the least bit inflated or overstated.

Exactly. thumbs.jpg

_more_

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
I loved the form factor of a REO from the beginning. I like boxes especially pretty little boxes. Good things come in small packages and with a REO that is the truth.

Tubes hurt my hands and wrists and i don't like the way they look. jmo
Plus how the heck could you use a tube as a bottom feeder and squonk it. That is a funny thought to me :)

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
The price. I work in an industry where I order/price out a wide variety of different types of steel/aluminum etc. I also own 2 high speed CNC's, along with a floor full of surface grinders, mills, lathes, CNC EDM machines etc. i have no clue why a small piece of aluminum with some really basic machining costs $140. I could be missing something here, but there isn't any fancy mechanisms or features on the Reo, is there? Just a piece of alum. milled out with a fire button, and a alum door with 2 magnets?

Happy vaping..
Welcome BigCloudz all I can say is build one if you think its so easy to make . I have a feeling you will change your mind before you even make it to the cnc machine . I have many customers that are machinist and none of them have ever taken a shot at the price of the unit . Buy one if your not impressed you can always sell it . I have a feeling you will love it most people do .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread