Rising ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    So I was vaping 316l with my mech and noticed after the first few hits it got weaker as my atty heated up. Using 30g I'm suspecting it's due to the rising ohms. Can anyone relate? I like a little more power than the same build with kanthal. It's not a big deal since I can just throw my atty on to a regulated mod.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    It’s the nature of SS wire. It’s why it works in TC mode. As the wire heats up, the resistance rises.
    I’ve been using 316L in my mech squonkers for a couple years now.
    So how do you build to remedy the weaker hits or do you just let the coil cool down again? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Check the screws in your atty, you may have a loose leg and one coil not performing correctly.
    Yup I triple quadruple check before I throw anything on a mech, I believe my problem lies with rising ohms due to the 316l wire. Just wanted to know if others have same issue and how they go about it, thanks.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2015
    On the River, GA
    Yup I triple quadruple check before I throw anything on a mech, I believe my problem lies with rising ohms due to the 316l wire. Just wanted to know if others have same issue and how they go about it, thanks.
    I use 24g 316l on both regulated and mech mods, I haven't had any noticeable change with mine. After about a month, I change the coils whether they need it or not :)

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    So how do you build to remedy the weaker hits or do you just let the coil cool down again? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

On a mech if it's causing you a noticeable difference, I probably just go over to Kanthal and be done with it, then switch back when using VW or TC device. I mean you could build a little lower initial resistance but that would depend on beginning resistance and battery, might still be chasing you own tail though, lol.

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida

I build to a ‘cold’ resistance that is lower than I would build with Kanthal. For example, if I like Kanthal at, say, .45 ohms, on a particular atty, I’ll build with 316L at around .3 ohms, cold. When the coil is fired, the resistance will rise to .4 - .45

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    It’s also important to adjust your wire gauge when using SS, depending on how fast or slow you like your ‘heat up’ to be. For example: When I used to use Kanthal, I liked using 26g, for the number of wraps I liked, and the heat up time. For a comparable heat up and number of wraps, I use 24g 316L.
    The best way to experiment, is to forget about building to ohms, and learn to build to ‘heat flux’. Use Steam Engine. You will find, through experimentation, that your sweet spot will center around a particular heat flux range. I like around 275 -300.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I'll have to try some 30SS or any SS on a mech. I'm a bit leary of unregulated SS vaping. I really enjoy a 1.4ohm 30/34 clapton I build and use SS as wrap wire. The 30 gets real hot fast, well 30 kanthal never tried 30SS as a single wire build. You get good fast heat but the wraps control the heat a lot better than single wire. The day I swapped her single 30 kanthal wire build for a 30/34 clapton, very little ramp up time and great cloudz she will never vape a single wire build again. Her coil last longer and she doesn't burn her coil doing the "double hit" vape style I can't break her of.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread