Riva Battery Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
BTW Scottbee, can you tell the difference with a tank atty on the Riva SE vice a eGo? I know I can. As I could with my 510 atomizers, and with my cartos.

Yes... I absolutely can. For me it's not even a "subtle" difference..... it's quite noticeable, especially on a freshly charged battery.

The downside.... just like on any "straight battery" mod or device... is that you can also tell when the voltage starts to trail off. A traditional eGo has a "more consistent" effective voltage, albeit lower.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
OK - becoming confused. I've purchased four Riva sets in the past two months. All were 510's ordered from the "lite bundle". All are black with gold ring/end trim and ALL come off the included charger at ~4.2vdc.

Seems they are no different than the SE's ? ?

I'm sorry... but I just won't comment on "fresh off the charger, unloaded voltage". I've posted a typical waveform from a PWM battery when it is "unloaded" and it is nonsensical garbage. Hard to tell what a meter would read in that situation. Therefore you can't really use the unloaded meter reading as an indicator as to what kind of delivery system you have.

Cee_Jay

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2010
Rochester NY
You can definitely tell when the Riva SE is getting low...
But fully charged...It's nice.

That you can, after getting used to it.

I compare it to my R/C hobby - Those come off the charger all balanced at 4.2v/cell +/-.010. When in use I can tell when they'll be ~3.7v at rest by the reduced performance. These are big packs rated over 100A output. Telemetry logged a peak of 170A once, the voltage drop was around 2.8v/cell, and things got just a wee-bit hot :) but survived.

Last edited:

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
and this lies the problem, some people say they are coming off higher, yet mine come off at 3.7v, and an hour later are reading 3.55 volts unloaded. now maybe things have changed, but if they are lion batteries, they are dead at 3.6 and fully charged at 4.1. so even if they are regulated, unloaded voltage shouldn't be dropping below 3.6v. that really makes no sense.

OK - becoming confused. I've purchased four Riva sets in the past two months. All were 510's ordered from the "lite bundle". All are black with gold ring/end trim and ALL come off the included charger at ~4.2vdc.

Seems they are no different than the SE's ? ?

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
and this lies the problem, some people say they are coming off higher, yet mine come off at 3.7v, and an hour later are reading 3.55 volts unloaded. now maybe things have changed, but if they are lion batteries, they are dead at 3.6 and fully charged at 4.1. so even if they are regulated, unloaded voltage shouldn't be dropping below 3.6v. that really makes no sense.

The SE units that I am testing have a "shutoff" voltage at right about 3.25V (loaded @ 2.5Ω).

Last edited:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
OK - so the older PWM circuits can also read 4.2v off the charger(?). I've never known a DVM to read "higher" than, at best, the RMS value being measured - assuming it's not true DC.

Unless I missed something, seems we're saying the PWM types DO NOT come off the charger that high.

Take a look at the trace that I put up on post #44. Hard to tell what a DVM would tell you abut that voltage (some meters will tell you mean voltage when they're on the DC scale, not RMS.... others just give you crap).

swt_silhouette

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
Boston
yea, but the point of this thread was to figure out if my batteries have a problem, and since someone else said the same thing, would be nice if we could figure it out.

As nice as that would be. It doesn't appear to be the point of this thread any longer. A "sorry for the thread-jack" at least, would be just common courtesy...just saying...

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
As nice as that would be. It doesn't appear to be the point of this thread any longer. A "sorry for the thread-jack" at least, would be just common courtesy...just saying...

that doesn't even bother me, but what is the point of a 3 month warranty if the answer is we can't tell you if the batteries are bad or not.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Liberty Riva Carto Deluxe Kit - bought this kit and was wondering why it's performing a lot better then my regular Liberty Riva until I found this thread.
I have a sneaking suspicion that batteries that comes with this kit have the same sprecs as with SE kit, IMO.
My suspicion only based on the way it performing - switching same carto between regular Riva batts and this kit, also noticable drop in performance after using battery for prolong time, which might point to no regulator.

One more thing - the design is a little bit different then from regular kit like the button is approximately 1.5 times bigger and feels stiffier.
Also the battery button is lighted while charging along with red charger light and battery light goes away when fully charged and charger light become green.

P.S.: I don't have an equipment to test my suspicion, just an observation.
P.S.S.: I know it's meanningless but no load voltage is 4.2

Last edited:

Princessa

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
TN
Liberty Riva Carto Deluxe Kit - bought this kit and was wondering why it's performing a lot better then my regular Liberty Riva until I found this thread.
I have a sneaking suspicion that batteries that comes with this kit have the same sprecs as with SE kit, IMO.
My suspicion only based on the way it performing - switching same carto between regular Riva batts and this kit, also noticable drop in performance after using battery for prolong time, which might point to no regulator.

One more thing - the design is a little bit different then from regular kit like the button is approximately 1.5 times bigger and feels stiffier.
Also the battery button is lighted while charging along with red charger light and battery light goes away when fully charged and charger light become green.

P.S.: I don't have an equipment to test my suspicion, just an observation.

OK - good to note, I noticed the same thing with my Carto Deluxe batts as well, that it doesn't blink the same # of times, then stays lit thru the charging cycle, too. Also, the stiffer button. Does yours appear to be slightly askew, too? Sort of at an angle?

I'd only seen one other poster mention it, but surely if it's a design difference, they must all be that way. Didn't think there was a 'problem' where it did seem to charge, so didn't want to jump any guns thinking they were faulty.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
Does yours appear to be slightly askew, too? Sort of at an angle?

No, it's looks straight.

But something else is different -thread on the battery and cone looks identical to thread on regular kit but it's more loose and takes less turns to tight the cone.

All in all it looks like the battery was made by different manufacturer, better performance IMO only based on subjectives.

Last edited:

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
No, it's looks straight.

But something else is different -thread on the battery and cone looks identical to thread on regular kit but it's more loose and takes less turns to tight the cone.

All in all it looks like the battery was made by different manufacturer (better performance IMO)

To quote Katya:
Curiouser and curiouser.

Natalia

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2010
California
Abe, can you confirm that the deluxe carto-kits are also shipping with the new version "SE" batts? That would solve all my questions and answer the flurry of emails i sent you recently. ;)

I was wondering this as well.

just picked up a Riva SE kit locally from liberty flights today and there is a HUGE difference from my ego, I would comfortably make a statement that this is a real 3.7v device. But of course confirmation from scottbee would be the final nail in the coffin

Fantastic! Enjoy :) Did you get the Black or Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread