Riva Battery Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

-iD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2010
Midwest US
ycruss, princessa, yoyo, you all bought the new carto kit. were the batts gold trim (like original Riva) or silver trim (as the "SE" is described)? Could help determine whether this new configuration is "SE" specific or just the new configuration for Rivas in general? I've already noticed some evolutionary design changes over just a few months (the Rivas I bought in December had better brass plating and deeper air/vent notches on the threads of the batt than the ones i bought in October) so there is no doubt that "continious improvement" (or at least supplier spec drift) is at play, so it would be good to know if the "SE" refers only to the trim configuration, and the improved voltage output is across the board.

shadowseed

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
TX
I just ordered a SE Black kit, can't wait to try it out. Have been using ego for a couple of weeks and was considering a true 3.7v device. This fits the bill for an awesome price. If this pans out I will have to sell off my ego batteries! I'm really hoping that they make all riva batteries in the new format (like the 1000+mah ones)!

Does anyone know how much the "new" design reduces battery life?

yoyoma_mda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2010
San Diego
ycruss, princessa, yoyo, you all bought the new carto kit. were the batts gold trim (like original Riva) or silver trim (as the "SE" is described)? Could help determine whether this new configuration is "SE" specific or just the new configuration for Rivas in general? I've already noticed some evolutionary design changes over just a few months (the Rivas I bought in December had better brass plating and deeper air/vent notches on the threads of the batt than the ones i bought in October) so there is no doubt that "continious improvement" (or at least supplier spec drift) is at play, so it would be good to know if the "SE" refers only to the trim configuration, and the improved voltage output is across the board.

I bought the SE, cost 5 bucks more but its not your average riva either =) Ty (i'm your salt) was explaining that the obvious differences between the regular Riva and the SE were that:

- Button was bigger
- the word RIVA is larger near the atty connection
- more threads where the cone screws in
- the atty connection also lights up (like a ring looking down towards where the atty screws in)

In regards to the Carto kit i think Ty said that they use either a different supplier or different manufacturer (don't quote me on that). I would've went with that kit but they didn't come in Stainless steel, plus the SE's are almost confirmed... 99.9999 percent IMO, we just need the definitive answer from scottbee, but like I said before, this thing hits like a 3.7, a little better than one of my 3.7v mods =/ I guess its time to sell!

@Shadow - I'm really looking forward to USB passthrough SE Rivas if they do come out, I have a TON of those cables plugged into various places from my USB ego batteries. I'll update when the battery starts to die out and when its actually dead. I started vaping it at 11am and take about 7 big hits every 5-7 minutes, I'm running a 2ohm carto

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are regulated, they wouldn't drop off in power after an hour right? Mine do that, and I could understand if they are unregulated, but if they are regulated and i'm to believe what is being said here, they shouldn't drop off until they are dead.

I don't mean to be a pain, but getting the littlest bit of support for the batteries I purchased would be nice. Liberty flights is sending out free batteries, but a paying customer can't get help. Sorry, I"m a bit aggravated now.

yoyoma_mda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2010
San Diego
correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are regulated, they wouldn't drop off in power after an hour right? Mine do that, and I could understand if they are unregulated, but if they are regulated and i'm to believe what is being said here, they shouldn't drop off until they are dead.

I don't mean to be a pain, but getting the littlest bit of support for the batteries I purchased would be nice. Liberty flights is sending out free batteries, but a paying customer can't get help. Sorry, I"m a bit aggravated now.

If it drops off in power quickly then most likely its unregulated, the SE rivas most likely are not regulated at 3.7 since that would be kinda pointless. The reason why egos and earlier rivas "regulate" to 3.2 is probably to extend battery life.

Don't rule out the chance that the battery could be a dud, do you have another 3.7v device to compare it to or a confirmed 3.2v device like an ego? Sorry I don't know your situation but more info would be helpful. How long do your batteries last?

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
i have two of the riva standard gold batteries, got them with the starter kit. I came home tonight. after using one for about a total of 3 hours. 1 hour on the way to work, 2 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch. by the time I get home, you are lucky if you get vapor. I switched to the fully charged one in my pocket and a big difference. For 30 minutes or so and then the same old sucking till my mouth hurts to get some vapor. If they are regulated to a lower voltage, they should hold out the whole time. they aren't dead because I could sit and use the battery for another hour or 2 before it starts blinking. I know my little mega 510 battery comes off the charger at 4 volts and I know when its dead because 5 minutes before its dead, you can tell you aren't getting much vapor.

If it drops off in power quickly then most likely its unregulated, the SE rivas most likely are not regulated at 3.7 since that would be kinda pointless. The reason why egos and earlier rivas "regulate" to 3.2 is probably to extend battery life.

Don't rule out the chance that the battery could be a dud, do you have another 3.7v device to compare it to or a confirmed 3.2v device like an ego? Sorry I don't know your situation but more info would be helpful. How long do your batteries last?

swt_silhouette

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
Boston
Yeah, I've been following along, and I was shocked at the turn the thread took. A supplier basically throwing new free batts, at the Celebrity that hi-jacked your thread, while totally ignoring the customer issue. That's just...WRONG.
I know LF will replace your batteries if you email them about it, but they might have at least, addressed the issue you in your thread.
I'm as impressed with the SE as anyone, but I'm somewhat under-whelmed at the the way you got run over. It was ugly to watch.

yoyoma_mda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2010
San Diego
Yeah, I've been following along, and I was shocked at the turn the thread took. A supplier basically throwing new free batts, at the Celebrity that hi-jacked your thread, while totally ignoring the customer issue. That's just...WRONG.
I know LF will replace your batteries if you email them about it, but they might have at least, addressed the issue you in your thread.
I'm as impressed with the SE as anyone, but I'm somewhat under-whelmed at the the way you got run over. It was ugly to watch.

It wasn't handled the best way possible but I see the free batteries as research as opposed to freebies to a celebrity. Does anyone else have an oscilloscope just laying around? The better approach may have been to call them, Ty has been very helpful in regards to my order. Not negating the fact that you got hijacked but it does happen and thats the way of the forums =/. I'm sure LF will solve your problems if u need to send the battery back, but in regards to answering ur questions about whether or not its 3.7v like the SEs or 3.2 like the old rivas, they're also just learning about this as scottbee progresses.

Just to make it definitive, have u had rivas or egos before? Simply state if they are in any way similar in performance. If they're not, they're duds and just send them back. Good luck getting it sorted out Rob

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Hey Scottbee...send that kit over to the OP when you are done...his batteries are messed up!!!

As has already been said... I personally don't know if he has two bad batteries (unlikely), a bad charger, or a cockpit error. I have absolutely no way of knowing, and his voltage measurements aren't going to get to the bottom of the problem.

If I were him I'd try to get a charger extender or a couple of adapters so he can try charging the batteries on his standard 510 charger. That would allow him to go down the path of logical variable elimination.

Regardless..... I'm not LF and I don't speak for them. But I do know that every time that I have had a problem with a PV vendor or the equipment that they have sold, I have made every effort to resolve the issue privately via PM, EMAIL or the phone. I feel that using other mechanisms early in the process is "bad form".

Just my $.02 though....

swt_silhouette

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
Boston
As has already been said... I personally don't know if he has two bad batteries (unlikely), a bad charger, or a cockpit error. I have absolutely no way of knowing, and his voltage measurements aren't going to get to the bottom of the problem.

If I were him I'd try to get a charger extender or a couple of adapters so he can try charging the batteries on his standard 510 charger. That would allow him to go down the path of logical variable elimination.

Regardless..... I'm not LF and I don't speak for them. But I do know that every time that I have had a problem with a PV vendor or the equipment that they have sold, I have made every effort to resolve the issue privately via PM, EMAIL or the phone. I feel that using other mechanisms early in the process is "bad form".

Just my $.02 though....

OMG the Irony! LOL!

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida

Just my $.02 though....

I believe I simply asked a question on this thread about the batteries. Further I did email and was told they have no way to test the batteries. finnally ty did im me and said he would call, I sent him my number and haven't heard back yet.

Abe

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 1, 2009
UK / US
www.liberty-flights.co.uk
that doesn't even bother me, but what is the point of a 3 month warranty if the answer is we can't tell you if the batteries are bad or not.

How can I tell if the batteries or bad or not? I simply replace the ones that people tell me are defective, you have been asking if x,y and z are correct without me having the full details then I really don't know. Scott has told you that the figures off the charger do not count for much. I will happily replace soft batteries but you never asked for this. I also don't have any way to testing these. If you are questioning how we handle returns, well, you have yet to ask me if you can return the batteries I believe. I am not sure that many vendors would reship you items because you think they don't perform that well, although I don't believe in this personally.

Ty is struggling to make outgoing calls and even take incoming due to the high volume of work he has.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
OMG the Irony! LOL!

I fail to see the irony... perhaps you can enlighten me?

If you look back in this thread you will see where there are about a dozen posts where I directly addressed Rob's problems, explained unloaded voltage, suggested a traditional charger, corrected him on the battery type and voltage expectations, put up a scope trace to back up my comments, and gave other insight from my perspective. Quite a few posts from my end, directly addressing his issue and trying to help. I personally backed away when it appeared to be falling on deaf ears and I felt he was on a path to possibly hurting himself via the ill-advised use of a charger purpose-designed for another application.

But I also agree that portions of this thread went off on a tangent and a new thread could have been started. That's one of the reasons why I took my findings over to the "Battery Voltages.. Surprise" thread.. to continue some of the dialogue there.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
yes, I started this thread if you notice simply asking asking about the batteries, I know you don't go pick the batteries off a battery tree and someone has to pay for them. So I simply wanted to find out if the batteries did in fact have a problem, not just demand they be replaced as some people might do. Plus its a hassle for me and you to replace the batteries so the first step was simply to ask about them. I'm sorry if i did that incorrectly.

How can I tell if the batteries or bad or not? I simply replace the ones that people tell me are defective, you have been asking if x,y and z are correct without me having the full details then I really don't know. Scott has told you that the figures off the charger do not count for much. I will happily replace soft batteries but you never asked for this. I also don't have any way to testing these. If you are questioning how we handle returns, well, you have yet to ask me if you can return the batteries I believe. I am not sure that many vendors would reship you items because you think they don't perform that well, although I don't believe in this personally.

Ty is struggling to make outgoing calls and even take incoming due to the high volume of work he has.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

I suggest, respectfully, that you read this thread from the beginning one more time.

Since I'm the person who invoked Scottbee's name early on, I feel I need to respond to this competely unwarranted attack. In post 10, I linked two threads which I thought might help the OP understand the mysteries of the eGo/Riva class batteries. Had he read Scottbee's thread and watched Dave's video, or at least acknowledged that he had, we may have avoided a lot of this back and forth. I suggest that you and the OP do it now. Dave's eGo, unloaded, reads ~3.4 volts, under load--3.3v or so, I don't remember the exact numbers. This clearly illustrates the point Scottbee and others have been trying to make that "off the charger' unloaded voltage means nothing in this case. His response was really intriguing.

As for Scottbee being a 'celebrity' around here, well, he's earned his celebrity status, I assure you. He's been working tirelessly for as long as I can remember to help us all understand what we're doing and move the e-cig industry forward. He's been testing batteries, cartomizers and atomizers for ever, posting his results and answering endless questions from hundreds of people who needed help or advice. He's been a valued contributor to our "Burning cartomizers" thread for almost a year. We have all, users and vendors, been sending him stuff to be tested and are grateful that he is willing to oblige. He is the only person I know of who has the equipment, the knowlege, and the willingness to do that. All I know about vaping and batteries I learned from him and others like him, not that there is anybody around here quite like him.
images
He's providing invaluable service to this community.

I found your post highly offensive; toward Scott and toward Abe.

As for the OP, we all tried to help. I don't know what his problem is with those batteries, but I know that if they are defective, Abe and Ty will take care of that. But I also know that a Riva reading 3.7v freshly charged is not "dead" or "defective."

Rob, please watch Dave's video, about 5 min into it he tests his eGo. It may answer a lot of your questions. And please let us know what you think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread