Recommendation for an RTA needed, thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Hi guys I'm looking for a new RTA for work. I work in construction sector, constantly up and down the ladders, climbing scaffoldings, kneeling down, bending down etc.

Vape HAS TO BE in my pocket all the time. Sometimes I put it down in the area where I work. Both resulted in me dropping the mod or knocking it over multiple times. rda's with squonk mods I've used so far aren't really working too well in this situation- squonk mods won't last very long, and squonking gets messy.

I've tried vandy vape berserker mini recently, plus silicone band and drip tip cap, with a smok mod + silicone sleeve: these work great. But I have a feeling that sooner or later I'll drop it an the glass will smash. Also sometimes I just don't want to do mtl and want something more powerful.

So the RTA I'm looking for: 23-25mm, short (has to fully fit in my pocket), DL or RDL
Glass has to be hidden under metal, like in Brunhilde RTA or Peacemaker RTA.
I don't care if it's hard to build, I also don't care whether it has a single or double coil deck configuration. I would prefer to be able to use my own drip tip with it, 810 or 510, because then I can use metal drip tip- I already broke 2 resin drip tips at work, had to vape directly from berserker mini top cap the other day, not fun...

I've been searching and searching, but can't find anything like it, please help, thanks

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I don't know what pocket you're planning on putting it in... the Aegis Max is rather tall... add a tank to the top of that, and it'll be really tall.

In your other thread, I recommended the Kylin M AIO and I'll stand by that here... it's rebuildable, and will fit easily into any pocket (except the coin/watch pocket LOL).

But, if you're dead set on an RTA to go on the Aegis Max, and you don't mind MTL, grab an old Kayfun a look at any number of drop kits... there are even some all steel kits.

Otherwise, the Peacemaker is a nice tanks, and sturdy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: PeterKay

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I really can't help you with this (all my good mods/tanks stay at home) My carry around is an old Innokin EZ Watt mod (internal battery) with a small MTL tank (Aspire Nautilus X with drop-in coils) It never leaks (but I refuse to buy anymore drop-in coils so when those are gone, I don't know what I use for carry around. Maybe a "pod/mod")

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
In your other thread, I recommended the Kylin M AIO and I'll stand by that here... it's rebuildable, and will fit easily into any pocket (except the coin/watch pocket LOL).
Thanks for the recommendation, I've researched about it and thought about getting a device like this, but there were few things that were the deciding factors: 18650- I'm trying to convert fully to 21700s- 3 out of 4 of my external battery mods use 21700s. Another thing- I like to change tanks about. So mods are the way to go for me. Need something shockproof as well- I saw kylin is waterproof but will it withstand getting tossed about? Not sure. Also the price- I managed to get Aegis max for 33£, cheapest kylin M I saw here was 55£. I might consider getting something like this for my girlfriend though, she's already into pods and would like to try a rebuildable in the future as far as she told me. So not bad gift idea

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
With pants like that, you could tote around a Steamcrave Hadron with a Ragnar LOL

Haha :D don't have a ragnar but I have a Hadron. To be honest, it doesn't feel like a mod created for being dropped and exposed to dust. Battery door locking system doesn't look very sturdy, large holes on the ide, large vent holes for battery. And battery rattle is rather worrying... Ragnar would be a terrible choice as well, replacement glass ain't cheap for that tank lol

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
An AIO would be a good choice.
I could be smart azz and say stop dropping your vape devices.
impossible. I hardly drop anything when I'm out and about, or at home. But at work it's inevitable and keeps happening all the time. I can't be getting distracted by the mod all the time, I often forget it's there. Getting distracted could often cost me a finger or two, so I'd rather break the mod lol

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
impossible. I hardly drop anything when I'm out and about, or at home. But at work it's inevitable and keeps happening all the time. I can't be getting distracted by the mod all the time, I often forget it's there. Getting distracted could often cost me a finger or two, so I'd rather break the mod lol
I understand (I've worked jobs like that my entire life) but I also was only allowed to vape on breaks (just like smoking) 10 to 15 minute breaks (and half-hour lunch) Even at home (yes, I'm not proud of this) mom has me on a work schedule (to pay rent... what a nazi) I take extra breaks but deduct that from my total hours and make up for it. I understand if you make your own hours/schedule (I have done that too) but either you work or take a break (I've tried doing both and it doesn't work) The only times I have dropped/broken a vape was when I was trying to do too many things at once. Slow down... or just carry a small vape device that you don't care much about (that's what I do) Actually (confession) all the times I dropped my vape was after hours and I was drunk... at least I'm honest)

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Thanks for the recommendation, I've researched about it and thought about getting a device like this, but there were few things that were the deciding factors: 18650- I'm trying to convert fully to 21700s- 3 out of 4 of my external battery mods use 21700s. Another thing- I like to change tanks about. So mods are the way to go for me. Need something shockproof as well- I saw kylin is waterproof but will it withstand getting tossed about? Not sure. Also the price- I managed to get Aegis max for 33£, cheapest kylin M I saw here was 55£. I might consider getting something like this for my girlfriend though, she's already into pods and would like to try a rebuildable in the future as far as she told me. So not bad gift idea

Yeah, but that 55£ includes a tank with coils and an "RTA" with building supplies. You spent 33£ on the Aegis Max, and now have to turn around and spend another 20£+ on a tank.

I get wanting to switch to 2x700 devices, though...

The Kylin M AIO does have a hefty feel, and is a zinc-alloy body... should be pretty durable, but... Protective Silicone case Skin for Kylin M Aio Pod Kit

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I use a small pod or a Berserker mini 1.5 with metal sleeve on an ambition mods Luxem or GV Solo.
The Luxem ith a 18350 is as small or smaller than some pods. I generally use it with 18650 though.
I thought the metal sleeve on the berserker mini might be problematic for checking levels but its not the problem I thought it might be.
Generally just carry it in my nail bag.
I understand you prefer a 21700. Im just mentioning what I use for a similar situation.
edit: also just re read the op and saw the op was looking for something not so mtl orientated.
20200823_124146.jpg
20200823_124439.jpg

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
For DTL @PeterKay, I don't know if the Squid Industries Peacemaker or an Ulton Taifun GT IV clone would be of interest.

The Peacemaker uses plastic for the tank section and not much is exposed with the cage so it stands up better to punisment and or abuse, but you have to be mindful of what flavours you use as it can react with the plastic. Unfortunately, that's as much as I know about them.

Ulton GT IV clones I use, so I can give you a better opinion on them. Glass tank with metal sleeve, so will stand some punishment and or abuse. But because of the use of glass, they'll work with any flavours.

Reasonably airy, easy to build, can be tempremental with the wicking. But an MTL positive post is available seperately, unfortunately no Ultem chamber reducer though.

These are just ideas though.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Yeah, but that 55£ includes a tank with coils and an "RTA" with building supplies. You spent 33£ on the Aegis Max, and now have to turn around and spend another 20£+ on a tank.
True. However if I don't feel like DTL on a particular day, I could swap tanks and pop my berserker mini on it
I get wanting to switch to 2x700 devices, though...

The Kylin M AIO does have a hefty feel, and is a zinc-alloy body... should be pretty durable, but... Protective Silicone case Skin for Kylin M Aio Pod Kit
Yeah 21700 is a big thing for me, I'm much happier with how 21700s perform and I don't mind the larger footprint or weight, got big hands so even a mod like Hadron doesn't feel too large for me.
I had a look at that silicone case, that could actually work.
I'm just a bit worried that if I get that AIO and don't like the way it vapes, I'll be stuck with another device I'm not keen on using, with battery type I'm trying to get away from, whereas with Aegis, if I don't like a certain tank, I can just pick a different one.
Overall, I don't think it's a device for me. But like I said before, I think my girlfriend would really like it, she uses pods and drop in coil tanks but whenever I let her use my rda's she enjoys the flavor, so if I see it at a reasonable price somewhere I'll probably get it for her. Thanks for your recommendation, I don't doubt that Kylin is a bad device, just not for me

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
I use a small pod or a Berserker mini 1.5 with metal sleeve on an ambition mods Luxem or GV Solo.
The Luxem ith a 18350 is as small or smaller than some pods. I generally use it with 18650 though.
I thought the metal sleeve on the berserker mini might be problematic for checking levels but its not the problem I thought it might be.
Generally just carry it in my nail bag.
I understand you prefer a 21700. Im just mentioning what I use for a similar situation.
edit: also just re read the op and saw the op was looking for something not so mtl orientated.
View attachment 903179 View attachment 903181
hehe I'm also running Makita tools mate :)
I actually have a Berserker Mini RTA (first version), so I'm planning to use it with the metal sleeve, you're probably right- not being able to see the juice level won't be a great deal as I can usually tell the first signs of incoming dry hit when the juice runs out. I've pretty much became good at wicking it, the last few wickings were spot on, it leaked maybe once or twice in a month of heavy use, and no dry hits except minor bad taste when I wasn't paying attention when vaping and let the juice run out.

I wanted a DTL RTA because there are days when I don't do mtl at all, so I simply wanted versatility at work.

Your setup looks cool, nice match!

Reactions: Jebbn

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Reactions: Jebbn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread