RTA OBS Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

derhenno

Aug 28, 2017
The Netherlands
Hi all, i've been vaping readymade coils for nearly seven years now and making my own liquids since one . Regardless of how i mix, flavourwise i'm not satisfied (TFV4,TFV8,TFV12, Toptank Mini, Cleito 120 etc). My Freemax Starre Pure tank has the best flavour, followed by the vaporesso Estoc Tank Mega. I WANT MORE FLAVOUR, so i've come to the conclusion, based on what i've read on the forums, that it's time for my first RTA.

My eye fell on the OBS Engine and here's why:

- large liquid capacity;
- sidefill;
- cool vape due to it's top airflow design (no leaking)?!;
- lots of flavour because 2 (clapton) coils taste better then one (regular);

It seems like a good candidate, but i have some questions left:

- how does the airflow compare to the Subohm tanks mentioned above, especially the TFV12 (inhaling is almost effortless with the TFV12)
- Is it a cool vape as stated by some reviewers? Which build gives a cool vape? ;
- Am i correct if i say: fused clapton coils beat clapton coils beat "normal" coils Can you recommend good (clapton) coils?

Thanks for your help! Derhenno.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OBS Engine gives excellent flavor. I can get a nice warm vape with it despite the top airflow so I wouldn't be concerned. As to coils, I'm hard pressed to say a fused Clapton would be any better than a Clapton in this tank.

If you want premade Clapton coils check out Advanced Vape Supply. They make all sorts of Claptons in SS, including spools, which are of nice quality. You can use SS in wither wattage or TC mode, so you're good either way.

derhenno

Aug 28, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks Eskie! So fused claptons (flavourwise) is the way to go?! Claptons at least it is. I'm a noob so i want to try out some premade Kanthal/SS coils before making them from "scratch". I'm based in The Netherlands so importing from the USA is a bit pricey for me. I'll go and have a look at Advanced Vape Supply anyways. Geekvape coils are widely available, and seem to be a good choice...or do you have other suggestions?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm not big on premade coils as you're dependent on the manufacturer doing a good job, which on some of the mass produced Chinese wire isn't very high, and also not ripping you off on the pricing. I like ADV just because I know the stuff they make is well done, and have a preference for SS only on all my tanks. I can't see any advantage of a fused over a regular Clapton for performance in this tank, but you can use whatever you're comfortable with.

I have no idea what Geekvape coils are like as I've never used them, so no insight to pass along. I'm sure there are coils available either in or can be shipped to the Netherlands at a lower cost than from the US, but can't point you in a direction on that either. Hope you enjoy the tank!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
If it's flavor you're chasing, I'd get Engine Nano. Top af, 5ml, single coil. I have both Engines and find flavor better in Nano due to the configuration of af. I also use AVS coils and wire. Go to the website and message them, great customer support. Might help you out with shipping cost.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My OBS Engine is stuck somewhere in the USPS chain coming from Washington state to Georgia. It's been 4 days since acceptance by USPS, so it should be here soon. Sometimes, tracking updates are slow to appear when the package originates on the West coast headed to the East coast.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
My OBS Engine is stuck somewhere in the USPS chain coming from Washington state to Georgia. It's been 4 days since acceptance by USPS, so it should be here soon. Sometimes, tracking updates are slow to appear when the package originates on the West coast headed to the East coast.
Probably sent it via Alaska.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
No doubt. I've had the same thing happen with USPS ground shipments from California. I get a notice that the vendor is waiting for USPS pickup and no more until it arrives in GA. Then, I get it the next day.
I believe you. If mine lands in Springfield, IL it goes to Missouri or Tennessee before coming back to Illinois! If it lands in Chicago I'm good.

R.Savage

Aug 5, 2017
They are alien Clapton
. 20171110_174520.jpg

MidwestGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
Iowa
I've been using the OBS Engine since fall of last year ... (in fact, just now re-visiting ECF after a long hiatus!) have tried various other new tanks that have come out since, and just keep going back to my Engine(s) (I have 3). They've held up like no other tank I've ever used. The three that I bought and have used regularly since fall of last year all clean up easily and still look brand new. Flavor is top notch, the only RTAs that can come close to it in my experience are the Troll and the Solomon. OBS Engine beats them both (in my opinion!) simply due to ease of fill, capacity, and absolutely no possibility of leaking or even condensation buildup for that matter, but flavor is about the same among all three.

After nearly a year of use/refinement, my settings/config are as follows:

My Style: DTL, slow draw looking for flavor and moderate cloud production.
Coil Config: Dual spaced Temco SS316L in 28ga, 11 tension wraps around a screw, coming in at .60 Ohms. Coils placed as high as possible without shorting against the inner bell in the Engine.
Mod: Using a DNA75 (VaporShark Switchbox) with temp control/customized with Escribe.
Most used setting: 460F, 40W, SS316 (default material setting from Evolv), Preheat Punch set to 4, preheat power at 60W, with Preheat time limit set to 1s.
Wicking: Koh-Gen-do, about 12mm strips with outer layer removed on both sides. Trim to edge of deck, fluff ends, juice them up, and tuck in to the holes.

I'll continue to try new RTAs, but so far nothing has come close to competing with my Engines when it comes to flavor, ease of build, ease of fill, capacity, and no possibility of leaks. Next RTA to try will probably be the Zeus.

Old Curmudgeon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Kansas City, fly over country
Just got mine two days ago and have been using it the whole time.
Normally the Aromamizer Plus is my daily workhorse because I commute
between two jobs.

The OBS produces flavor comparable to the Plus, but is easier to fill & no
sweating/leaking. I think my Serpent Mini SMM is going in the junk drawer.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Great to still see love for the OBS Engine still, came out in 2016, wow, that's testimony alone. What with all these bubble glass, bottom airflow, condensation tanks, the OBS is great to go back too.
Build high and wick right and the flavor is there, maybe not quite as good as some 2018 RTA's but for a hassle free vape, it's very hard to beat. I find my strong strawberry juices or limes go great in this tank.

@Eskie Are you still using yours ?

Sometimes, especially in my case, with all the new gear that comes out, it's easy to forget just how great some of the older gear was, the Engine is a great example of this...

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Yes love mine so much I just ordered three more last night just to have along with spare glass tanks.
You can not beat the flavor you get from this RTA or,if you feel like it,you can fog the room up too with the right build inside.That the amazing feature of this tank,you can get a cloud with it and still have the flavor too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread