S/S Rope Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
...has anyone else stopped putting the mesh 'toppers' around the rope, under the coil?
I just wondered!...I was out the other day & My Origenny clone stopped wicking (this is par for the course for Me...vaping solely DIY NETs...& badly-filtered ones too!!..), mesh clogged & I ripped it whilst pulling the wicks. Out of necessity, (no spare mesh with Me..) I replaced the rope wicks....& back vaping!
I've since re-built, with new rope, no mesh, expecting hot-spots galore....none!...at all!
For Me, the improvement is simply that the 'naked' rope wicks for longer before I have to pull it & burn clean....& it's easier to push back thru' the coil!
Anyone else?...or is it just Me & My weird juices?!

Reactions: Annie56

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I have never used SS cable wicks. I didn't think that you could use them bare--as the kanthal would short out on it and pop. I think...
Are you using the Origenny on a temp control mod? Maybe if you are using different, tc wires? The lower resistance would perhaps prevent the shorting out?
I may order some cable to try out on that goofy a** AIOS. Would prolly work really well in the Bliss too, used with a mesh wrap under the dual coils.
Kewl!! Do you like your Origenny?? My Ry4 tobacco is a real gunker!!

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
I didn't think that you could use them bare--as the kanthal would short out on it and pop. I think...
Are you using the Origenny on a temp control mod? Maybe if
I did n't think it'd work...thought that there'd be too many minute gaps 'twixt rope & coil; shorting, or at least loadsa hot spots...nada, did n't even have to move the wick about at all.
I then thought that it must be the oxidisation on the coils that comes from My NETs, preventing any shorts...hence a re-build later with new coils & bare rope wicks....surprised but delighted to get the same result! Can only be My near-OCD approach to oxidising the wicks I guess!!!!
Oh, & yes, I enjoy My Origennies...tho' flavour's even better using the Origen RDAs as 'mini gennies'!
& I only use mechs...'Temperature Control'?...Yeah, the coils get hot when I hit the switch & cool down when I let go!!!!!:)

Reactions: Annie56

Annie56

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
N
I NEED more of these!!
I've got an IN'AX clone, a Hybrid Dripper that c/w (not enough!!) hollow white ceramic wicks that just drop over the pos. pin. Really nice smooth flavour. Just wish FT would stock 'em as silly expensive here!
No way!!! They MAKE those??!
Can you imagine how hard it would be to bore that out?? No wonder they are expensive!!
I recall reading you have to 'hot-wrap' ceramic.
Rite now, in my comfort zone w 200 mesh

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Well I find that mesh works well enough for me. I have some rope wicks that were sent with one of my gennies, but I'm not interested in using them. I don't fix what isn't broken.
Yeah, I only went to rope 'cos I read that it wicked better than mesh....it does n't per se, but with My NET juices, it just lasts longer than mesh.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah, I only went to rope 'cos I read that it wicked better than mesh....it does n't per se, but with My NET juices, it just lasts longer than mesh.

I suppose that's a good point, how long it lasts, but my mesh wicks last me a couple months, and then I just unroll them and roll them up the other way, recycling them, and get a couple more months out of them. I also enjoy rolling them and making good mesh wicks. I find this satisfying.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
I just unroll them and roll them up the other way,
Now that's not a bad idea!
My prob. is that My DIY NETs just leave a residue (after a burn-off...) that looks like rust & ruins the capillary action of the mesh. This is what's made Me have to use only 'arti-baccy' (Hangsen) in My Next-Gens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread