The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Samsung 25R / Sony VTC5A performance after 250 charges

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by jersey_emt, Dec 12, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mimöschen

mimöschen Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    It's mainly due to the utilized chemical composition of the cells. I'm no expert on battery chemistry though, but my post is based on Mooch's comparison of the HG2, VTC6 and 30q in a stress test, which can be found here:

Bench Test Results: Which lasts longer? VTC6, 30Q, or HG2?

But as a rule of thumb, the cooler a battery runs, the longer is its cyclelife. And the safer it is in overall use for vaping obviously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Switch bounce on the keyboard! Make that 500 ...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. jersey_emt

jersey_emt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Update after ~300 cycles: The Samsung 25R's have degraded. Quite rapidly. The voltage drop under load is now so bad that firing at just 50 watts gives a weak battery warning almost immediately (< 1 second) when the voltage at rest is under 4 volts.

I'm surprised at how quickly they have degraded – only 50 cycles ago they were performing around 75-80% of when new. And now they are basically useless.

The Sony VTC5A's are still pulling strong though. I definitely know which batteries I will be purchasing to replace the 25R's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Robin Becker

Robin Becker Full Member

Feb 3, 2018
    But if I take a look at the technical specifications of the 25R I can read that Samsung gives 300 cycles as a reference. I wish my batteries would last so long :D My VTC5 run after around 200 cycles not longer than 3-4 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Barkuti

Barkuti Senior Member ECF Veteran

Murata/Sony makes superb performance cells and they cry out for this in their pricetags, though they've recently demonstrated (with their VTC6) this is not always with long cycle life in mind.
    Those who are clued in these matters know Samsung cell electrical cores are of top notch quality, consistency, and cycle life. Their pricing is also quite fair.

:2cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. jersey_emt

jersey_emt Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 26, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Just bought two pairs of Sony VTC5A's from IMRbatteries for $7 each (Illumn was out of stock of them @ $5.99/each). Also picked up some purple and light blue wraps and spare positive terminal insulators to rewrap my existing VTC5A's, as one of them has a small knick in the wrap. It's currently covered with electrical tape for safety, but this makes for a tight fit in my mods. If the rewrap looks good I'll also be rewrapping the new batteries – I just don't care for the green.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    • Like Like x 2