Samsung 25R / Sony VTC5A performance after 250 charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
It's mainly due to the utilized chemical composition of the cells. I'm no expert on battery chemistry though, but my post is based on Mooch's comparison of the HG2, VTC6 and 30q in a stress test, which can be found here:

Bench Test Results: Which lasts longer? VTC6, 30Q, or HG2?

But as a rule of thumb, the cooler a battery runs, the longer is its cyclelife. And the safer it is in overall use for vaping obviously.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Update after ~300 cycles: The Samsung 25R's have degraded. Quite rapidly. The voltage drop under load is now so bad that firing at just 50 watts gives a weak battery warning almost immediately (< 1 second) when the voltage at rest is under 4 volts.

I'm surprised at how quickly they have degraded – only 50 cycles ago they were performing around 75-80% of when new. And now they are basically useless.

The Sony VTC5A's are still pulling strong though. I definitely know which batteries I will be purchasing to replace the 25R's.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Murata/Sony makes superb performance cells and they cry out for this in their pricetags, though they've recently demonstrated (with their VTC6) this is not always with long cycle life in mind.
Those who are clued in these matters know Samsung cell electrical cores are of top notch quality, consistency, and cycle life. Their pricing is also quite fair.

:2cool:

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Just bought two pairs of Sony VTC5A's from IMRbatteries for $7 each (Illumn was out of stock of them @ $5.99/each). Also picked up some purple and light blue wraps and spare positive terminal insulators to rewrap my existing VTC5A's, as one of them has a small knick in the wrap. It's currently covered with electrical tape for safety, but this makes for a tight fit in my mods. If the rewrap looks good I'll also be rewrapping the new batteries – I just don't care for the green.

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread