• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Santa's coming early to KittyKorner on cvcn.ca! Don't miss this Friday's show!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
I think facebook in general is creepy, I would never have an acct if I HAD to use my real name....there is a reason I do not associate with "old highschool friends" and other people I used to know...I don't need them messin in my business!

I'm very very stringent with my privacy settings lol.... I got that stuff on lockdown!

---------------------

I just wanted to thank you all for coming out and hanging in there.... I was humbled and quite touched by your encouragement and support. You folks are the cat's pyjamas...

Made me proud to be Canadian!-- we just stuck with it with the stubborn determination of an Albertan keeping his driveway clean in winter!! I apologize as I had a great show lined up with nice graphical elements, stories, an unofficial review, even some poetry lol. My computer is quite old and tired though. I spent the two days leading up to last night stress-testing the broadcast software in a private channel at stickam and things were looking really good. Then, 24 hours to show time, my laptop DIED... just died.... I ended up doing amateur surgery on the kitchen table, with stick pins, tweezers, canned air and a vacuum cleaner. It now runs cooler and quieter than it has in MONTHS and I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze enough time out of it to hold on until I can wrangle a killer deal on a slightly less archaic machine.

In the meantime, I've decided to use some of the content I wasn't able to use to record some stuff and get my YouTube channel up and going.... I'll keep you all posted when there's something there of interest ;)

A big thanks to Jason at Eastside Vapes for his sponsorship and support, and to darksidevaper for taking the wheel and finishing out the show. Be sure to tune in tonight (Saturday) at 7pm PST for darksidevaper's regular show featuring "vape Skool" ... did I mention he's one of my VapeHeros?

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Are you sure it was just computer problems, it seemed like some bandwidth problems as well. What type and speed of internet connection do you have ?

You should start a collection or PIF post to get a "newer" computer - there's so many geeks, nerds .. er smart people with lots of computer gear sitting around they no longer use. Someone probably has a computer better than yours sitting in a closet. :p I was one of those people until recently when I started to get rid of the piles of computer hardware taking over my place. :)

Are you planning to try again next Friday ? You're still on the cvcn schedule.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Are you sure it was just computer problems, it seemed like some bandwidth problems as well. What type and speed of internet connection do you have ?

You should start a collection or PIF post to get a "newer" computer - there's so many geeks, nerds .. er smart people with lots of computer gear sitting around they no longer use. Someone probably has a computer better than yours sitting in a closet. :p I was one of those people until recently when I started to get rid of the piles of computer hardware taking over my place. :)

Are you planning to try again next Friday ? You're still on the cvcn schedule.

You betcha, chagrin! I'll be back and taking another kick at the can Friday, Dec.14.

And you are completely correct. What was confusing me is how could I be having such troubles when my "dry runs" went so swimmingly well. My laptop is under the recommended specs for the broadcast software, but seemed to perform quite well in spite of that.

The answer is bandwidth. Stickam recommends a minimum of 500Kbps upload speed, and I'm getting more like a generous 400. It turns out that the sidecams streaming through add considerably to the load and disabling them is one of stickam's suggested solutions. My "dry runs" occurred in an empty room, with me twice "ghosting" to watch from another incognito browser window and my Playbook. With just me broadcasting and showing up as two "ghosts", it was ok. But as soon as we went live, and there was chat and sidecams to stream, all heck broke loose.

So, this week I'll be looking into finding a solution to that problem that still works with my budget. As a very very last resort, I'll disable the sidecams in order to "limp" by until the bandwidth problem can be resolved. And of course, I'll be crossing my fingers, toes and eyes and wearing my lucky socks ;)

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
So, this week I'll be looking into finding a solution to that problem that still works with my budget. As a very very last resort, I'll disable the sidecams in order to "limp" by until the bandwidth problem can be resolved. And of course, I'll be crossing my fingers, toes and eyes and wearing my lucky socks ;)

The sidecam people are usually boring anyway. :p

therealcmac

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2011
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
www.youtube.com
The sidecam people are usually boring anyway. :p

Speak for yourself bro! I am entertaining as all hell! I even show my dog off sometimes!!!! 68.gif

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Well I just had a nice chat with my ISP and they've quintupled my upload speed with a free month to try it out and see what I think. Hopefully that improves matters considerably!!

Well that certainly ought to solve things. Hope they aren't soaking you too much for the extra.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Well that certainly ought to solve things. Hope they aren't soaking you too much for the extra.

$10 extra per month with first month trial free.... for a jump from 460Kbps upload to 2.3Mbps upload..... supposed to be an extra 5Mbps down, but speedtests aren't reflecting that. Naturally, they are blaming my wireless router, and I haven't the time right now to fool around and try to prove them wrong lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread