SB verses GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughanie

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2009
Yeah, I've managed to source Noalax from the GG U.K. supplier (who has just started supplying it). So thumbs up, guys... As it turned out it wasn't an failure problem on my GG, just that in swapping to and 18650 v battery from a CR2 the spring wasn't long enough to push the battery to the end. I've now resolved this with spacers, so I'm a happy bunny again. :)

I'm holding off on the SB for the time being. Prodegy 2 has my attention as does the GLV 5v. However, I'm awaiting delivery of a GGTS which will do 5v with an AC/DC unit and 6v and 7.2v on specially designed atomisers which promise great vapour production and flavour with less risk of frying atties at higher voltages. So I'm looking forward to trying those particularly on the Auto Feeding System.

GGs avoids battery 5v because of the the requirement of putting capacitors and wires inside which will at some point likely lead to problems. I can see the logic really. Keep the device as simple as possible and you're less likely to have issues down the road. The moment you start putting wires and capacitors in these devices you're asking for problems as we've seen with non-mechanical switches in some of the PVR mods.

However, I think I'm prepared to take the risk for a pure 5v battery device if it's cheap for the often mentioned "sweet spot". That and I'm still tempted by ownership of other devices - although I'm wondering if this is a severe case of gadgetitis <G> It's still nice to have a different PVR to reflect your different moods and to colour match the particular outfit you're wearing that day, perhaps lol etc.

Laudie, am I struggling for an excuse here for my apparent rampant weakness for consumerist nonsense?

Last edited:

WhatAClumsyGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2009
Mtns of Tennessee
Just my opinion here..but i wanted to add...I had a Silver Bullet...thought I had too many mod's and sold it. I MISS IT...The Silver Bullet had a smooth unique vape that the other's don't. I don't know what it is about it...but I want another...and plan on purchasing one very soon. Good luck to you.

randyc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2009
Florence SC
The SB is definitely the best. I have both the SB and the BB. I vape 6 volt with the BB and 3.7 with the SB. I never have problems with attys or with the switches. About once a week I clean the threads and reapply NOALOX. I tend to be a little partial to the SB I think because a charged battery lasts at LEAST a full day.

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
I own both the SB and the GG Trans and GG Grant, all are excellent PV's.

There is no such thing as the perfect PV as yet, everyone of them has something that isnt perfect.

I use all of them in rotation, I love the GG's for their beauty, and there is no denying that, and I love the SB for its simplicity and reliability, but would I recommend one above the other? no, absolutely not, as PV's they are brilliant, all of them.

Its down to each individual to decide which is right for them.

GG runs at 3.7v and 6v as does the SB.

I have had problems with the caps on the GG, removing them, but that was my own fault for not cleaning often enough.

These days I clean them with Bicarbonate of Soda, as I dont have NOALOX as yet, and that does the job just fine.

There is no such thing as the perfect PV as yet, everyone of them has something that isnt perfect.

I use all of them in rotation, I love the GG's for their beauty, and there is no denying that, and I love the SB for its simplicity and reliability, but would I recommend one above the other? no, absolutely not, as PV's they are brilliant, all of them.

I have had problems with the caps on the GG, removing them, but that was my own fault for not cleaning often enough.

These days I clean them with Bicarbonate of Soda, as I dont have NOALOX as yet, and that does the job just fine.

When you get the chance definitely get the Noalox its amazing how great it works and you wont have to deal with the maintenance nearly as much.

Derek

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Pet...that avitar picture totally cracks me up...

Thanks Clumsy.. you can tell the folk that work in animal rescue...hahaha, we have that weird humour...haha

When you get the chance definitely get the Noalox its amazing how great it works and you wont have to deal with the maintenance nearly as much.

I recently got some stuff from a Metal Fabricator, and its made by Locktite, which was good, but cant source it online, but I see that Lisa over at Cloud9 now has some, so will get some of that Noalox.

IdolLurker

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida USA
Let's do *simple*

The downside to all this is that six-volts can be too much. There is only so much an atomizer's parts can stand. Freshly-charged batteries actually produce slightly *more* power than they are supposed to have for a brief time and sometimes they can burn out a dry atomizer instantly—literally before you can add juice and take your first puff.

People who stick with 3.7 volts can own an atomizer for months. I've been known to go through two or more of them in a week.

Problems like these have led a few mod-makers (e.g, PureSmoker's current Prodigy) to choose five-volts as the best of both worlds; calling it a 'sweet-spot' that combines high-volume vapor and flavor with better battery and atomizer longevity.

I hope this worked for you.

Oh your "technopaloosa for dummies" really helped. I most certainly appreciate your detailed explanation and now the "light" came on!! This should be published in wikipedia - I've read it a couple of times now.

So believe it or not I still have a couple of other questions...:confused:

Is it better or not to have a switch that somehow adds yet another variable if there is a resistor if you want to stay at 5 volts? Will this help to save the attys from getting too much power and blowing out? I have also heard they are developing a high voltage atty for some of the mods. Do these new high volt attys actually take the extra voltage and heat ok so they last longer?

Note: Quote above was just an excerpt. See original post by The_janty_Misfit for the complete fantastic details.

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......

Another mod collector :). And your absolutely right each mod brings its own unique signature to the table. But the one I use the most is a secret....

I got my 18650 batteries yesterday. I'm wondering why I would ever want to go up to 6v when the 3.7v produces soooo much vapor. I'm sure I will try it eventually, but am so content with my SB at 3.7. The flavors are so much better. I can't wait for my other new flavors to come in. :thumbs:

Back when I got my SB I thought the same too cause going from a standard 510 ecig to the SB at 3.7 you'd think how can anything be better. After reading a bunch I was curious and decided to test it out 1st by getting some Energizer disposable.Since then I understood and agreed to the hype I was reading about higher volt vaping. It makes for a warmer much more taste and an even bigger clouding vapor that is much more satisfying to me.

Some people claim of burnt taste with 510's but I only get that when its time to add more juice for the most part HV vaping increases the flavor for me no matter what atty I'm using as long as I keep it well juiced.

The only negatives about it for me are higher juice consumption and atomizer life. I' have yet to blow an atty with lower voltage but PV's claimed as either 5 or 6 in my experience blow attys much more. I even got 2 HV 901's and it lasted just over a week with my Prodigy V2(I dropped the other which bent it so I threw it out) The truth is attys are like light bulbs or amp tubes some blow quick while others last a much longer time.

It would be great if someone would come up with a longer lasting 510,901,801 atomizer. One guy supposedly has but its propriety for his device only and is not able to be taken out.

Last edited:

acezzz

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
One cannot advise others enough, to be very very careful when using unprotected batteries. These are not toys and are effectively hazardous to safety.

And no matter how experienced you might be, in handling them, an accident can still quickly happen.

Which was the case with me today.

I woke up exceptionally early in the morning today, and as usual, took up my best PV and started vaping.

As usual, it was my beloved GG Grant, and inside it, were 2x 3V unprotected Cr2 batteries.

Only 2 puffs later, the batteries started heating. It was a little premature and unusual, but since the temperature was not alarming at this point, I thought I'd keep on vaping.

I couldn't finish my draw when all of the sudden, a battery exploded inside the Grant.

It was not a big explosion, but enough to scare the hell out of me on this lovely morning, especially that heavy fumes started instantly getting out of the holes located in the bottom cap of the Grant.

At this moment, the Grant's temperature had really become very high, and I had already put it on the table in front of me.

I kept contemplating it for few seconds, while the fumes kept getting out of it, and increasing more and more, with a high fizzling sound.

After about 15 seconds, I realized that the worst was still to come. There was a second battery inside it, that might explode at any moment! I had to get that Grant from the table and put it on the ground as quick as possible.

But I was not sure of its temperature at this point. So I reached it out with one finger, in a slight quick touch just to test it, yet managed to get a slight burn. Time was running out. So I grabbed the Grant by the mouthpiece of the atomizer, and quickly put it slowly on the floor.

Then I kept looking at the fumes getting out of it, hoping it will be over soon enough. Yet it didn't stop. The room was already covered with a heavy smog...Then it happened!

A big explosion! That was the second battery. It exploded in a spectacular way, and the blast woke everybody in the house like if a bomb exploded.

The Grant turned instantly with the blast into a flying rocket, where a huge fire was getting out of the three holes in the bottom cap, and the rocket then flied away till it hit a couch, where it landed and a big fire then caught the hole bottom of the Grant and everything around it.

When I say rocket, I mean really a rocket, with fire getting out of the 3 holes simultaneously at a very high pressure, flames reaching at least 30 centimeters in length! It really looked like a spaceship!

At this moment, I instantly jumped on it and started putting out the fire, which was done rather quickly.

I then waited for 5 minutes till I could grab the Grant with a piece of towel and put it on the balcony to cool it down. It was so hot that took more than 15 minutes for the temperature to start dropping.

At a time when it was still too hot to touch, I took few pictures of it while it was still sitting on the floor of the balcony.

In conclusion:

You can see from the pictures that the Grant is almost intact, and only needs its plastic parts and the button's spring changed, although it was subjected to 2 battery explosions and a very very high temperature for many minutes. Any other PV would have surely exploded in my face, causing me serious injuries.

The holes in the bottom cap are the keys for its survival and for my own safety. This was the ultimate test. Those holes diverted the blast and the fumes and the fire, and directed them away from the user's end.

So the safety on the GG is not a matter of theory anymore. It is now more than ever, an undeniable fact, tested and proved in the most extreme of conditions.

Thank you again Imeo, not only because you had already anticipated such risk, but also because you had already built to it, a serious and effective protection measure.

Let that be a lesson and a testimony, for everyone to benefit from it.

Regards.

img8504l.jpg

img8505l.jpg

img8508.jpg

img8509.jpg

img8512o.jpg

img8513a.jpg
Has anyone ever had or seen this happen with a SB? This scares the hell out of me. I guess this is why the SB has the warning about stacking batteries.

peace pipe

Jan 25, 2010
iowa
I'm new to this environment and have alot to learn, but I have questions.
That last pic of the battery is that a cr2?
I feel its up to the consumer to make get all the information needed to operate these devices and I feel its the consumers "responsibility" to make the judgment call on using the proper batteries . If a manufacture states not to use un-protected batteries then its up to the consumer to decide if they want to be "responsible " for the safety of themselves and not to mention other around them.

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
Has anyone ever had or seen this happen with a SB? This scares the hell out of me. I guess this is why the SB has the warning about stacking batteries.

It has happend(LiFePo4), the units SB/BB are vented under the switch. Use good sense if you are stacking cells(not recommended) test each cell after charging to ensure the cells are balanced(voltage). Keep them in sets. Keep your atty connection clean, and be alert. There is a great source of battery information stickied above this thread, be sure to take 10 mins and read it. You will feel smarter :p
Chad

Vaughanie

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2009
You wouldn't want this to happen on an enclosed metal cylindrical p.v with no vents, because they strike as a potential pipe bombs with unprotected CR2 batteries in series.

Furthermore, if the metal is thick, as it is on some of these mods, would you even notice the batteries were heating up before it was too late?

I'd personally take the rocket (with vents) over the pipe bomb, but hey, it's a lifestyle choice :) .

At least S.B are being responsible not encouraging and not selling CR2 batteries with their device. However, people evidently do take risks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread