Schools telling kids that vaping is worse than smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
I hope my kid never smokes or vapes. Both of them are worse than doing neither. I took up vaping to quit smoking and I don't agree at all with people starting vaping when they never smoked in the first place. That's my personal opinion on the subject but saying that I don't agree with people in authority giving out false information.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I hope my kid never smokes or vapes. Both of them are worse than doing neither. I took up vaping to quit smoking and I don't agree at all with people starting vaping when they never smoked in the first place. That's my personal opinion on the subject but saying that I don't agree with people in authority giving out false information.

I would rather they vaped than smoked, and a parent has to assume that their kids are going to do some stuff they don't approve of. I know I assumed that. And I was right.

I agree about the false information thing. My guess is that they are applying the "end justifies the means" principle. Who knows where it comes from. An individual teacher's idea of what's best for the kids. Some directive from above.

I remember when the kids were told about the evils of smoking and came home to berate me. It happened to all the parents at the same time, I talked to a few of them.

It's just one of those things though. It's going to happen whether I like it or not. It's always been that way and it always will. In any case I'm sure what teachers tell them is a rather insignificant part of what drives their behavior, they assume their teachers lie just like we assumed our teachers lied. I remember a teacher telling us those awful Beatles only knew 3 chords. That was right after I tried to learn a Beatles song on the guitar and gave up because there were too many chords. We figured out very early not to believe anything a teacher told us. Outside of lessons anyway. And we did understand the difference. Today's kids aren't more gullible than we were.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
My position on this is that I would be going to the school, talk to the principle with the teacher present and remind them that as instructors they are there to teach schooling, not teach fear mongering and especially not teach politics to the kids, it is unethical and not in their job description. If it was the school nurse I might let it slide, that or a political or governmental class, after that, politics and such stay out of the classroom.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I tried and tried to find a way to send a letter DIRECTLY to the Director of Curriculum Development @ Scholastic but couldn't. I ended up using the "contact us" tab at the bottom of the page and pasting this letter in their form, titling the letter "ATTN: Director of Curriculum Development". The form ASSURED ME that "someone" would be in touch with me within ONE business day. That was over a week ago! Surprised??? Not in the least..........

Sirs,
It has come to my attention that your corporation is providing curriculum to the nation’s school districts involving electronic cigarettes and vaping. It is important for our youth to be informed in all aspects of life in order for them to become intelligent, productive adults. I agree that electronic cigarettes and vaping is an important subject in regard to personal choices and public health.
My concern is that, after reviewing your material, it appears to be an effort to teach our youth not how to think but what to think about electronic cigarettes and vaping. The material is strictly anti vaping, gives no references to the studies noted or the dates of those studies, contains false information and does not include any of the positive aspects of electronic cigarettes and vaping. Thereby eliminating the lesson of how to think and instead, imposes upon the students what to think. A “critical thinking” exercise, as mentioned in your curriculum, is not possible given the lack of information and false information in the body of the curriculum.
While it is true that the FDA recently deemed vapor products to be tobacco products, that deeming is tenuous at best and is already being challenged through litigation. There are also Senators challenging these regulations as misguided and a complete over reach on the part of the FDA in an effort to gain control over vapor products. Something they have been attempting to do since 2008, without success. Furthermore, the FDA ignored a report that they funded, prepared by the National Health Institute - March, 2016 – full report here - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/add.13394/epdf?r3_referer=wol&tracking_action=preview_click&show_checkout=1&purchase_referrer=www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov&purchase_site_license=LICENSE_DENIED_NO_CUSTOMER - This report supersedes the report your curriculum is based on. As well as the Royal College of Physicians report: Nicotine without smoke: Tobacco harm reduction - April, 2016 – full report here - https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/projects/outputs/nicotine-without-smoke-tobacco-harm-reduction-0
It is my belief that your job as educators is to educate, to teach America’s youth how to think. It is not your job to influence their minds to fit one opinion or agenda, to teach them what to think. I am asking you to please cease interjecting opinions and agendas into our youth’s education and allow them to form their own opinions through balanced and unbiased education. I am gravely concerned that these practices are leading to a generation of followers, not leaders.
*Spacing altered to condense*

Vapers Unite!
:cool: Von Vape :cool:
Yes!

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Von Vape

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
So the Family Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, which prohibits any non-FDA-approved claims about lower risks from deemed tobacco products of which does not even include e cig's by the way but does apply to vape shops non the less, but does not apply to children's schools ?

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
So the Family Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, which prohibits any non-FDA-approved claims about lower risks from deemed tobacco products of which does not even include e cig's by the way but does apply to vape shops non the less, but does not apply to children's schools ?
There ya go! Nutshelled.

Reactions: Von Vape
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread