Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I would write a Letter to the Principle of the School your Grandchildren attend, and CC it to the regional Board of Education, asking for a Clarification if this part of the School's Curriculum?

Or if it is the Opinion of a Teacher who feels it is His/Her need to express His/Her Opinion onto impressionable students.
Yes!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I really want to do that. Unfortunately, I am too far away to go to the school, and since it is summer vacation, I wouldn't be able to go anyway. I'm thinking now, that maybe I should go over to the vape shops in Greece's FB pages and mention it. Maybe some of them have heard kids say that. Also, P Busardo lives in Greece, a couple of streets away from the kids. Maybe I can do some good after all!
You need to know specifically who is telling them this, & if there was any literature involved, handouts, brochures, videos, etc. You can't be effective, & neither can anyone else, without that info. Sit the kids down & prepare to take notes right there in front of them. They'll realize that you are taking this very seriously. I'm a grandmother, too, I don't have a problem grilling the kids about who told them what, how, & when, or telling them the truth & making sure they understand it.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I was really thinking of the customers of the vape shops rather than the shops themselves. The customers are on their FB pages, and some of them must have kids in the same schools. It would be good to have others who are upset about this to join forces with. Since I am 15 hours away, and only get out there once or twice a year, I really need reinforcements!
Excellent idea. I don't agree that shop owners would not be listened to, tho. Most of them are dedicated to helping smokers quit.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
My niece(8+) and nephew(11+) are too young to "reach" in a discussion UNLESS you've been appointed a status or position above the children. Let me give you an example.

I've studied more than 10 martial arts. Some of them absolutely grueling and tortuous. My niece goes to a McDojo where she does little to nothing and is one belt away from a black belt. I've watched her hop, skip, jump like a frog...do everything but martial arts in the class. I've tried on more than one ocassion to talk to her abt martial arts to show her a few things but she has a mind like a butterfly, and because I've not worn a McDojo outfit...she thinks that "You're trying to be cool... by trying to show me things, and, you're NOT cool." Those were her words. OK, she's 8+, I get it. Leave her alone and in another 8yrs maybe I'll be alive and can show her some things if she is still with it.

What I am trying to get at is, if your grandkids only see you once a month or less, it may be worth your while to just avoid the conversation and not vape around them. Their brains may be just a tad larger than a fruit fly and all you are doing is aggravating yourself.

Now as far as the schools go? Ahhh... good luck with that too.
Not all kids have minds like a butterfly. Especially if they are addressed in the right way. Seriously & pointedly.

Reactions: DC2

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Cool.

And Like I said Earlier, the 1st thing I would do is wite the School's Principle (cc-ing the School Board) and get a Clarification as to is this the Official School Policy? Or is this the Opinion of an Individual Instructor(s).

If it is the School's Policy than the School Board should be Bombarded with Non-Biased and Non-Agenda Based Scientific Findings.

Or if it an Instructor(s) who are Expressing Non-Scientific/Non-Medical Views onto students, then the Principle and School Board should be made aware of this.
Absolutely.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
My grandkids are 16, 11, and 9 1/2. They know exactly what I think about vaping and the propaganda. They might not speak up, depending on the circumstances. But, they would certainly run home and tell me exactly who said what. Or bring me a copy of any proof.
Yes!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I guess it does depend on how your grandchildren interact with you. Mine visit me, without Mom or Dad around, for approximately 2 weeks in the summer. Along with the occasional trips we take north to them.

All the grandkids think we are the fun grandparents because we actually play with them and have fun with them. Our older grandchildren (14 and 16) still want to visit with us for an extended period. I do believe that they do look up to us. I keep expecting that this year will be the year that the older one doesn't want to come visit anymore. Each year I am very pleasantly surprised when he still does want to come.

I posted this on another thread recently: My grandson and his circle of friends got into the vaping scene for a minute. My daughter let me know that those same kids have since stopped vaping and did not go on to smoke. They went through the fad of vaping and when it was old and they were over it, they just stopped.

If it had been cigs that they experimented on, when they were tired of the 'fad', they would have been hopelessly hooked on cigs and not able to just give them up.

He gets the reason I vape and that it is to keep from smoking again. He has seen the struggle that I had to give up smoking on my many attempts. He also sees the results of better health from vaping that I have been able to show.

I do not hide things from the kids. To me that is a bad example. They will know. They really aren't easily mislead and notice a hell of a lot more than we give them credit for.
My grandson & his friends did the same thing. Just lost interest completely. He graduated HS a year early, with his basic college credits done, & immediately went into nursing school. He was in school nonstop untill he got his BS in nursing & went straight to work in the ER at a local hospital, & also works at an urgent care there. He is quick to correct & educate regarding vaping. I'm so proud of him!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
As much good as that green flyer does, it does a lot of harm as well, because it doesn't look professional. It just looks like propaganda to the other side. And to be honest. It looks the same to me. Why would you use the color green in it? In the United States, we have a lot going on in the medicinal ......... realm.

Vaping is no way connected to that, so why link it with a color?

Real data in black and white goes a long way, but only to those who are willing to read it.

You yourself are linking it to a color. The color is intended to attract notice. The color that attracts the most & strongest attention is red. Advertisers know this & practice it. Black & white alone do not attract notice, or attention, or involvement in the subject. It doesn't resemble propoganda to me & it's not intended to necessarily speak to the other side. It is meant to reveal & instruct those who are specifically not on either side but wish to be informed on the subject. In other words, it's not for sheeple. It's as an educational beginning point for those who think for themselves.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
My first inclination has always been to try to educate, rather than be confrontational. The worst problem is how to educate in a place where you don't have any reputation. My grandchildren are honor roll students, who have always gotten good citizenship awards at school, for being helpful, and they do have good reputations with their teachers and other students, but the schools don't know me.

I guess that is part of the reason I was thinking about mentioning this whole thing on the FB pages for the vape shops in Greece, NY, where I know they are teaching these lies in the schools. It might not be a bad idea to start a discussion on how to deal with this nicely, rather than starting out by being confrontational. It could be that parents out there are unaware that they are teaching this.

It's also part of the reason I mentioned it on here. I think that no matter where we live, we need to be vigilant about what they are teaching our kids before they start an anti vaping campaign that rivals the anti smoking one in all of the schools.
Amen & amen!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I can almost guarantee that what the kids were told is not on the "official" curriculum for the school. This needs to be nipped in the bud now, before it gets out of hand. Essentially, there's a teacher in that school that doesn't know what they're talking about. Not only is it wrong, it can also get them into serious trouble. Start writing those letters and get that stopped before the school year starts and the misinformation campaign gets worse.
Yes. Teachers teaching their personal opinions is what got us where we are now. Kids aren't taught to question, or think for themselves & are actually punished for doing so.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yes. Teachers teaching their personal opinions is what got us where we are now. Kids aren't taught to question, or think for themselves & are actually punished for doing so.
The most important branch of study in the world might be Logic.
Especially the branch of Logic that deals with logical fallacies.

The world is currently shaped by logical fallacies.
Always has been really.

I guess that is why the marketing profession was invented.
So it's important to learn to see through that.

But if "feelings" are ever "deemed" by the government to be more important than Logic.
Well, honestly, God help us all.

But really, there will be no helping us then.
We're almost there.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
This is what Scholastic is giving teachers for their anti vaping classes:

Lesson: E-Cigarettes: What You Need to Know | Scholastic: Nida

I'm about to download the material to see just what they are telling the kids.
I may have misunderstood but I thought this is what @kathi17 was referring to as the source of the problem. If it is, you can see just how one sided and designed to fit an agenda it is! She went on to say (in a later post) that this material, or at least Scholastics materials, are in nearly 90% of the school districts across the country.

In my opinion, whether or not this is the material in question in this specific case, it is a HUGE issue and one that needs to be addressed. Turning a blind eye to the programming of anti vaping opinion in the country's youth now will only create a nation of anti vaping zealots in the future. Scholastic should be made aware that we don't want our children and/or grand children to be taught WHAT to think, we want them to be taught HOW to think. Each individual should be allowed to form their own opinions and make their own EDUCATED decisions. Our children and/or grand children should NOT be programed with one sided propaganda to fit one groups agenda.

Here's a link to Scholastic's E-Cigarette curriculum page:
Scholastic.com - Search Results - Lesson: E-Cigarettes
Please note that this curriculum is not only for grades 7 - 12, it starts at the THIRD GRADE level! There is also a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

With all that is going on right now in regard to the FDA, the deeming and the anti vaping propaganda that has already spread far and wide, do we want to set ourselves up for future battles with our own children and grand children? I don't. If Scholastic is publishing this material, it stands to reason that this is NOT just a local issue, it's a national issue. I believe it's all of our responsibility to be vigilant ON EVERY FRONT.

Vapers Unite!
:cool: Von Vape :cool:

tony46113

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2016
You yourself are linking it to a color. The color is intended to attract notice. The color that attracts the most & strongest attention is red. Advertisers know this & practice it. Black & white alone do not attract notice, or attention, or involvement in the subject. It doesn't resemble propoganda to me & it's not intended to necessarily speak to the other side. It is meant to reveal & instruct those who are specifically not on either side but wish to be informed on the subject. In other words, it's not for sheeple. It's as an educational beginning point for those who think for themselves.

What I'm saying is that I would not give that flyer (in its current state) to a school official to educate them on vaping in a school system that doesn't know or understand the facts. Nor would I send it home with children as an administrator of a school system. I understand that was not the intended use of the flyer when it was created, but someone posted it in this thread as a suggestion.

If the thought entered my mind, I'm pretty sure it would enter the mind of many others (parents, school administrators, ect.) who are opposed to vaping due to lack of knowledge. When I said black and white, I meant the actual text of the study. I understand that a poster that is supposed to get someones attention probably should not be in black and white, but "marijuana green" is a very poor choice of color to be giving out at a school or to a school. Too many people still think that vaping and smoking are one in the same and I think that adds some fuel to the fire and has the potential to be misconstrued. Especially since we have so many people thinking that the vaping industry is marketing towards children with the wide variety of flavors that are available.

The message is great. The delivery via that exact flyer needs some work.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Not all kids have minds like a butterfly. Especially if they are addressed in the right way. Seriously & pointedly.

Uhhhh.... NO. But this isn't the forum for discussions regarding being raised by a divorced woman who qualifies for the Scarlet Letter and is a Wiccan. Maybe next time.

Reactions: Kenna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I just saw this thread and scanned all the comments for reference.

I hear blanket statements occasionally about ecigs and the only way to quiet those people down is with hard facts. "That thing has antifreeze in it" is one we used to hear. Yes, propylene glycol was put into antifreeze because it's safe and the previous chemical was killing animals who licked it off the pavement and died. PG is in your soft drinks as a de-foaming agent. It's in salad dressing, your toothpaste, your makeup, eyedrops, and hundred or more other things we eat, drink, and rub on our skins.

VG is also used as a thickener in hundreds of foods and dressings. Google it.

The flavorings are the same things that are in pies, cakes, and other tasty foods we eat.

Nicotine is the issue that should make us warn children to stay away from vaping. Nicotine isn't deadly, but it's probably not something that we want our children to consume or inhale.

If teachers want to talk about ecigs in a negative way, they could just just warn kids that they should wait until they can make an informed adult decision before trying vaping. After all, that's the reason that you have to be 18 to buy vaping products. Don't make it sound so terrible. Millions of people vape and they started vaping to get off the deadly cigarettes. Vaping is a good thing. Cigarettes are what should be talked down to school kids. Explain the facts. Don't treat something that saves lives as something that is deadly to health.

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
    Mar 17, 2016
    Well said, in general, DaveP. You lost me just a little bit when you said,
    Nicotine is the issue that should make us warn children to stay away from vaping. Nicotine isn't deadly, but it's probably not something that we want our children to consume or inhale.

If teachers want to talk about ecigs in a negative way, they could just just warn kids that they should wait until they can make an informed adult decision before trying vaping.
    The point here is, in my opinion, that teachers should NOT be imposing THEIR OPINION, positive or negative, but instead, provide our children with the information that will allow them to form THEIR OWN educated opinion. When you say that nicotine is the issue that should make us warn children to stay away from vaping (again in my opinion) you are interjecting YOUR opinion. Sticking with the FACTS, cut and dried, as you yourself stated in your post is (IMO) the proper approach.
    #1 Smoking tobacco kills millions of people every year.
    #2 Vaping is an alternative and is at least 95% safer than smoking tobacco, even though some e-liquids contain varying amounts of nicotine.
    #3 Neither is legal for purchase by anyone under the age of 18 and in some states, 21.
    #4 (Grades 6 through 12) Include factual lists of the components of tobacco cigarettes (if enough paper is available, ha, ha) and e-liquids, medical reports and findings on both and a mandatory screening of the documentary, A Billion Lives. (The mandatory screening would do as much to open their eyes as to how the world REALLY works as it would to the tremendously reduced risk of vaping. Hopefully, the teachers eyes too!)

It's just that simple. It's also a subject that I personally do not feel is appropriate for third and forth graders. Let children that age be children. Teach them to read, write, do basic math. Let them begin to form an imagination and a sense of creativity through the arts. At this young age, our children CERTAINLY shouldn't be taught WHAT to think, but that is clearly the agenda.

Vapers Unite!

Von Vape

ECF Veteran
    Mar 17, 2016
    In an effort to calm the "Color of the poster/flyer" issue, I manipulated the colors. It is sized to 8.5" x 11.0" and anyone interested is welcome to "poach it". ;)
    Vaping Benefits Poster Recolored Resized.JPG

(Resized to 900px by 1262px to fit this page)​

Hope this is helpful. I know @Debadoo is going to LOVE the purple at the bottom! :rolleyes:

Vapers Unite!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread